• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Rahul Dravid vs Ricky Ponting

Who is the better batsman?

• Rahul Dravid

Votes: 42 33.3%
  • Ricky Ponting

Votes: 68 54.0%
  • They are for all intents and purposes equal

Votes: 16 12.7%

• Total voters

a massive zebra

International Captain
This should be an interesting poll as one gets the impression that the majority of Cricketweb members would rank these two as the third and fourth greatest batsman of our time (after Lara and Tendulkar, obviously). But who in your opinion is superior?

I say Dravid because he appears more consistent and can be relied upon to perform in any country under any conditions. Furthermore, the undoubted elegance of this great batsman is fantastic to watch for true cricket fans. Ponting is without question a genuinely world class batsman but has had periods of poor form/inconsistency.

Last edited:

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Dravid is more reliable, and Ponting is more devastating.

I'd back Dravid to perform more often in more situations (although I think he has something of a problem on bouncy wickets against fast bowling, like most subcontinental batsmen), and as you said he is less likely to have runs of poor form and so on. Ponting is, in my view, more likely to play a brilliant and match-turning innings, and more likely to comprehensively dominate the bowling on his day and look unstoppable.

Regardless, they are both unquestionably the most dominant batsmen in the world over the last couple of years (where Lara and Tendulkar haven't done quite as much as usual), and will go down as all-time greats.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Dravid is less likely to tear an attack apart, has obvious technical deficiencies (Iwish I had a dollar for every time he got out whilst playing with a less than straight bat) but has marvellous powers of concentration and great consistency.

Ponting has more talent but is susceptible early as is evidenced by the fact that he averages 83 when reaching 15.

Overall equal.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I'll actually choose equal as well. I agree with the others that Dravid is more reliable, and I, like others, feel Ponting is very susceptible early on in his innings. However when Ponting's on, he's just so devastating because he becomes another player. He has it in him to play a steady innings and be the foundation for his team, and he also has it in him to just take it to the bowlers in an attacking yet sensible fashion, and bat the opposition out of the game. Amazing player.

Dravid I believe has the best concentration in the world without question. Obviously there are others with immense patience, but he just exemplifies it everytime he bats. Its not a question of batting slow, but a question of batting intelligently and scoring at the right times, and seeing off bowlers at others. Ponting has this quality too, but I feel Dravid is less likely to be dismissed early on (someone will probably find me a fact that disproves this). *shrugs*

*votes equal*

Linda

International Vice-Captain
Jono said:
I'll actually choose equal as well. I agree with the others that Dravid is more reliable, and I, like others, feel Ponting is very susceptible early on in his innings. However when Ponting's on, he's just so devastating because he becomes another player. He has it in him to play a steady innings and be the foundation for his team, and he also has it in him to just take it to the bowlers in an attacking yet sensible fashion, and bat the opposition out of the game. Amazing player.

Dravid I believe has the best concentration in the world without question. Obviously there are others with immense patience, but he just exemplifies it everytime he bats. Its not a question of batting slow, but a question of batting intelligently and scoring at the right times, and seeing off bowlers at others. Ponting has this quality too, but I feel Dravid is less likely to be dismissed early on (someone will probably find me a fact that disproves this). *shrugs*

*votes equal*
Quite frankly, I agree with everything he just said!

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Dravid by a mile.
Dravid has slight deficiencies if the ball is bowled quick and moves around, and is little short of magnificent against spin and seam.
Ponting has massive deficiencies if the ball is bowled slowly and turns.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Dravid for me, Any day or night. As an Australian Ponting doesn't get to fact best attack in the world, He has a clear weakness against spinners especially on turning tracks he clearly lacks Dravid concentration on the field. Even on his day Ponting's technique and style offers more chances of getting out.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Dravid by a clear margin for me. He's almost perfect technically and has exhibited over and over that he can bat for long periods in all corners of the world. Ricky Ponting is a class batsman, but he looks so vulnerable early in his innings, far more than most top batsmen. In 100 innings played against the same bowlers on the same pitches in the same situations, I'd back Dravid to score more runs than Ricky Ponting.

SpeedKing

U19 Vice-Captain
Jono said:

*votes equal*
i agree with all of it but as i usually tend to go for entertainment over steadiness.

there are loads of other players who can entertain [Afridi] but Ponting just has much more class and sense than the rest of them . That is the reason why i voted for Ponting [ATM i am the only one]. you might say i am abit mad but as i said, entertainment over steadiness for me. thats why i would prefer say umm...Vaughan to Thorpe.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Entertainment is a very relative term. What I find entertaing can be quiet boring for many others. Personally I dont find battings of Afridi and his ilk entertaining at all. Ponting obviously has more class than Afridi and others like him, but does he have more class than Dravid ? Can he offer entertainment, class and consistency at the same time and as well as Dravid ?

SpeedKing

U19 Vice-Captain
Sanz said:
Entertainment is a very relative term. What I find entertaing can be quiet boring for many others. Personally I dont find battings of Afridi and his ilk entertaining at all. Ponting obviously has more class than Afridi and others like him, but does he have more class than Dravid ? Can he offer entertainment, class and consistency at the same time and as well as Dravid ?
it is simply a personal ting. i first sat for some time thinking about the two and how i can draw a fine line between them. The fact that Ponting is slightly more aggresive is why i chose him. If Dravid is as entertaining as Ponting i would have chosen him but he is not.

If there was five criteria to judge them-
Concentration [ability to play long innings]- i would say they are on an equal footing.
Defencive capabilities-Dravid
Spin -Dravid
Pace -Ponting
Entertainment value -Ponting

For me the last criteria is the most important for me as it makes the most sense to me.

C_C

International Captain
I find dravid very pleasing to watch. Entertaining to me isnt just crash bang wallop....a perfect technician like Dravid is entertaining when playing a forward defensive IMO.
To answer this thread, if its test cricket, i would pick Dravid. If its ODI cricket, i would pick Ponting.

tooextracool

International Coach
dravid and by quite a distance, its laughable to even compare them until ponting actually does something about that record in india. not only has dravid never managed to disgrace himself in any country, but hes also managed to succeed in every country and against every country. hes also never had a bad year in his entire career.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Sanz said:
Exactly - for me entertainment is just watching class. Dravid is pure, unbridled class, and he's damn stylish too.

Richard said:
Exactly - for me entertainment is just watching class. Dravid is pure, unbridled class, and he's damn stylish too.
Richard,
Could i ask you to keep your homosexual thoughts to yourself please. Granted theres nothing wrong with having them but i think I, and my listeners would prefer not to hear you go on about your attraction to male cricket players and your admiration for their dress sense.
Regards
John Laws CBE