• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Rahul Dravid vs Ricky Ponting

Who is the better batsman?

• Rahul Dravid

Votes: 42 33.3%
  • Ricky Ponting

Votes: 68 54.0%
  • They are for all intents and purposes equal

Votes: 16 12.7%

• Total voters

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
FaaipDeOiad said:
Ponting also won 1999, by a small margin. :)

I'll tip him to win 2005 as well.
Yes I know. But it was 18 runs so thats nearly same. The big difference in his favour was 2003.

Eclipse

International Debutant
C_C said:
Sachin, if he plays for another 5 years will most likely end around 14000-15000 runs.
Hard to see Ponting make another 8000 runs....he is 29 but even if he plays for another 8-9 years, thats almost 1000 runs per year for the next 8-9.
Its a very very longshot...i predict Tendulkar to be ATLEAST 2000 runs clear of anyone playing cricket today by the time they all retire.

As per Dravid vs Punter.....well Dravid is most likely to end up with a higher average and better consistency record.....Punter will most probably get more tons than him and more runs as well......dont forget that OZ play more tests than IND so even if they were even stevens in age, Punter most likely would play more and thus have more runs.
As per ponting having more shots than Dravid, thats rediculous. Ponting bats at a higher tempo than Dravid but Dravid has ALL the shots in the book and that too with a picture-perfect technique.
Dravid has basicly as many normal cricket shots as Ponting but he can't go the arial rout as well, cant hit it as hard, doesn't drive on the up as well....

but as far as the classical shots go yes..

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Eclipse said:
Dravid has basicly as many normal cricket shots as Ponting but he can't go the arial rout as well, cant hit it as hard, doesn't drive on the up as well....

By and large you are right about aerial shots. But Dravid plays a lovely drive over cover and extra cover that goes all the way. Great to watch. But he makes a mess trying to hoick to mid wicket.

Eclipse

International Debutant
SJS said:
By and large you are right about aerial shots. But Dravid plays a lovely drive over cover and extra cover that goes all the way. Great to watch. But he makes a mess trying to hoick to mid wicket.
Yeah that's true, but Ponting can hit sixes off almost any ball bar a good yorker...

the only place i have yet to see him hit a six is over bacward point on the cut shot..

But generaly he hits through midwicket around to mid off..

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
SJS said:
yeah, i really wish dravid could slog to cow. that'd make him the complete player :huh:

C_C

International Captain
Slats4ever said:
The way sachin has batted last two seasons it's hard to see him getting that many.

Ummm... batting in only 15 innings last season he chalked up nearly 1000 runs...yes i know most of it was against minnows ( and AUS series in AUS) and he was outta form and still is outta form....but you know what they say... form is temporary, class is permanent.
if he can tally near-1000 in a year where he has been mostly woefully outta form, i wouldnt put it past him to chalk up between 4000-5000 runs in the next 5 years..
thats 800-1000 ave. per year and i think that is doable for a batsman like tendy.

C_C

International Captain

Dravid is an excellent driver on the up...agree with the power thing but whatever he lacks in terms of power, he more than makes up for it with his awesome timing....and yeah, he doesnt prefer the ariel route but i dont think that makes him any less of a batsman- bear in mind, i HAVE seen Dravid go AWOL a few times....just that he doesnt slog but scores almost all his runs from genuine cricketing shots.....and remember...Bradman wasnt known for hitting sixes either

C_C

International Captain
marc71178 said:
The length of the bad form was very long to be fair...
Not really....
He hasnt been great for the past 13-14 matches or so...which isnt unusual.... almost every batsman has a rough patch of this nature....whats stunning is that while lesser mortals average in the 30s or 40s (or sometimes even lower) during a 'rough patch', Tendulkar averages over 55 or so...
And in terms of years its been over 2 years but bear in mind that IND hasnt played many tests in the last 2 years and Tendy has spent a good while recovering and re-recovering from an injury.

mavric41

State Vice-Captain
I think that Dravid is a better defensive batsman and will save you more matches than Ponting, but Pontings agression will win you more matches.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
13 or 14 games is a long time, and in that time (about 24 innings), he was dismissed for under 20 no less than 15 times.

C_C

International Captain
13 or 14 games is a long time, and in that time (about 24 innings), he was dismissed for under 20 no less than 15 times.
It isnt a long time...like i said, almost every player- great or otherwise- goes through a 13-14 match bad patch, if not longer.

Tendy's bad patch goes back till the NZ series in NZ

In that 'bad patch', tendulkar's record is this:

Matches 17
Innings:28
Not Out: 5
Total Runs: 1168
Ave: 50.78
HS: 241*
C: 3
F: 4

Yeah...its a bad patch for tendy but you will find that over a dozen and half matches where one was going through a 'rough patch', not many average 50+.....not lara, not steve waugh, not ponting, etc etc.

Like i said, its a bad patch for tendulkar....but for most people, it would be an average patch.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
..... and tendulkar has been injurred for over 12 months and he started the year playing on wickets unfit for test cricket in NZ

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Eclipse said:

He is nowhere near as strong as Ponting square of the wicket.

Dravid is incredibly hard to dismiss but not as difficult to restrict in terms of scoring shots.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
C_C said:
Tendy's bad patch goes back till the NZ series in NZ

In that 'bad patch', tendulkar's record is this:
Actually I have been hearing that Sachin has been out of form since the WI tour of 2002. Despite being injured and singled out by some umpires, he has batted pretty well.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
tooextracool said:
dravid and by quite a distance, its laughable to even compare them until ponting actually does something about that record in india. not only has dravid never managed to disgrace himself in any country, but hes also managed to succeed in every country and against every country. hes also never had a bad year in his entire career.
Your theories about Ponting are so utterly bizarre. You realise that if he, say, repeated what he has done for the past 48 months twice more and then retired (leaving him a bit younger at retirement as Steve Waugh, with only 9 more tests), he would finish with 15021 runs @ 59.61 with 49 centuries... and given that the last 48 months includes two dismal tours of India he could still finish with a sub-20 average in that country and manage this. Now, obviously it is unlikely that any player would have a run of great form for so long, but if he did manage it, you would still not consider him an all-time great because of his record in India? Do you also not consider Bradman a great because he struggled on wet wickets? How about Lillee, given that he only took 5 wickets in his career outside of Australia, England and New Zealand? What about Warne and his record in India, or Murali and his record in Australia?

biased indian

International Coach
Dravid 53 - ponting 47

only because ponting have struggled aganist spin ,even though he has played some decent inngs agansi spinners he was never consisent

C_C

International Captain
I like Ponting as a batsman but he is second to Dravid as far as Tests go.
He is less consistent, has more holes in his resume than Dravid, averages less and he doesnt have to face his own bowlers, who are clearly the numero uno bowling unit in the game for the past 7-8 years or so.
But so far, both of them take a backseat to the twin towers of the last 15 years: Lara and Tendulkar.
Oh and Faip, i will wager that the only person from this generation of players to breech the 40 century mark would be Tendulkar.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
C_C said:
Oh and Faip, i will wager that the only person from this generation of players to breech the 40 century mark would be Tendulkar.
I think both Ponting and Tendulkar will pass that mark. I don't think Ponting will score 15000 runs at 59 mind you, but I think he will pass 40 centuries and 10,000 runs, and I think Tendulkar will do the same. Hard to see anyone else currently playing doing it, unless one of the young brigade turn out to be a star of course. Maybe Jaques Kallis.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
FaaipDeOiad said:
I think both Ponting and Tendulkar will pass that mark. I don't think Ponting will score 15000 runs at 59 mind you, but I think he will pass 40 centuries and 10,000 runs, and I think Tendulkar will do the same. Hard to see anyone else currently playing doing it, unless one of the young brigade turn out to be a star of course. Maybe Jaques Kallis.
I doubt if Ponting will score 40 test centuries. We cant just extrapolate his best years in the game and assume the rest will be similar.

He has got 21 centuries in 85 tests. Every player tapers off towards the end of his career. So one can safely assume that in a long career, the second half will AT best be as good as the first half. Thus to get 40 centuries, Ponting needs to play another 80 test matches and considering he will miss some for various reasons, he will need at least. 8-10 years to play these. Its unlikely that he will play for so long. Not impossible but very unlikely.

We are seeing Tendulkars performance tapering off. Same will happen to Ponting in three years time. Then the decline comes fast, in most cases.

There are plenty of examples.