• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Rahul Dravid vs Ricky Ponting

Who is the better batsman?

• Rahul Dravid

Votes: 42 33.3%
  • Ricky Ponting

Votes: 68 54.0%
  • They are for all intents and purposes equal

Votes: 16 12.7%

• Total voters

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
John Laws CBE said:
Richard,
Could i ask you to keep your homosexual thoughts to yourself please. Granted theres nothing wrong with having them but i think I, and my listeners would prefer not to hear you go on about your attraction to male cricket players and your admiration for their dress sense.
Regards
John Laws CBE
Huh? :blink: The link is there, but still incredibly random.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Huh? The link is there, but still incredibly random
You'd have to be an Aussie for this one, Liam. John Laws is a trashy, talkback radio host who has been in the news in the last year for anti-homosexual comments on his radio station.

Arrow

U19 Vice-Captain
Are we talking overall? Or just tests?? If overall its clearly ponting because hes a far better OD player and being so good at both forms of the game means hes the more talented cricketer.

Eclipse

International Debutant
If ODI's and tests where waited equaly then Ponting, but as it stands it'ts probably Dravid.

I would take Ponting over Dravid in ODI's any day and in any situation however.

Slats4ever

International Vice-Captain
Ponting easily. I reckon Ponting will break the record for most runs scored in tests. He's so amazing to watch with the bat.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
honestbharani said:
I voted Dravid, but the way Ponting is going, he is not that far off from catching up with Rahul.
Surely recent form would actually push the 2 further apart rather than closer together?

Eclipse

International Debutant
Slats4ever said:
Ponting easily. I reckon Ponting will break the record for most runs scored in tests. He's so amazing to watch with the bat.
don't know about that.. I think sachin may get and keep that record for a while..

Ponting will most likely end up with more 100s and runs than Dravid though..

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
they are completley different types of batsmen, ponting has a vastly more attacking mode and is more versatlie for mine. Dravid is a very classy bat but doesn't seem to have any 'fire in his belly'

ponting is also much quicker between the wickets for mine.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Eclipse said:
don't know about that.. I think sachin may get and keep that record for a while..

Its interesting to see how close their careers have run over the last nine years.

Rahul has always scored more runs than Ponting every year except 2003.

Granting a two year age advantage to Ponting, he may outlast Dravid so it will be very close one indeed.

Attachments

Last edited:

twctopcat

International Regular
SJS said:
Its interesting to see how close their careers have run over the last nine years.

Granting a two month age advantage to Ponting, he may outlast Dravid so it will be very close one indeed.
Ponting is almost two years younger than Dravid, so in that respect i think he may outscore him eventually.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
twctopcat said:
Ponting is almost two years younger than Dravid, so in that respect i think he may outscore him eventually.
Sorry. I meant two years.

Yes. Thats what I meant in it being close. A two year advantage and a 900 runs deficit. Its going to be close.

I suspect Dravid may last longer though. He has a great fitness record and hardly misses a game and his game is also based on the kind of technique that makes players preform till late.

twctopcat

International Regular
Me too, maybe the captaincy will affect Ponting to the point where Dravid's runfest is unattainable. If bowling standards around the world improve in the next few years i feel Dravid will be the one who copes with this and still scores big.

Slats4ever

Eclipse said:

Sachin will get it but not exceed it by much. his form slump has been going on too long

C_C

International Captain
Sachin, if he plays for another 5 years will most likely end around 14000-15000 runs.
Hard to see Ponting make another 8000 runs....he is 29 but even if he plays for another 8-9 years, thats almost 1000 runs per year for the next 8-9.
Its a very very longshot...i predict Tendulkar to be ATLEAST 2000 runs clear of anyone playing cricket today by the time they all retire.

As per Dravid vs Punter.....well Dravid is most likely to end up with a higher average and better consistency record.....Punter will most probably get more tons than him and more runs as well......dont forget that OZ play more tests than IND so even if they were even stevens in age, Punter most likely would play more and thus have more runs.
As per ponting having more shots than Dravid, thats rediculous. Ponting bats at a higher tempo than Dravid but Dravid has ALL the shots in the book and that too with a picture-perfect technique.

Slats4ever

it's kinda different...
u see Ponting plays in the worlds best side with a lot less pressure on him each time he walks to the middle. this can either be good or bad... it's good in that it doesn't matter too much if he gets a low score cos chances are Aus will still win... or it might mean he'll be more than likely to have less concentration and play a silly shot... so that also makes it hard to compare..

The way sachin has batted last two seasons it's hard to see him getting that many.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
SJS said:

Granting a two year age advantage to Ponting, he may outlast Dravid so it will be very close one indeed.
Ponting also won 1999, by a small margin. :)

I'll tip him to win 2005 as well.