• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Rahul Dravid vs Ricky Ponting

Who is the better batsman?

• Rahul Dravid

Votes: 42 33.3%
  • Ricky Ponting

Votes: 68 54.0%
  • They are for all intents and purposes equal

Votes: 16 12.7%

• Total voters

pup11

International Coach
But Sri lanka has played Sangakkara as a pure batsman in the last few test matches that they have played.

So can he even be termed as a test-match wicket-keeper anymore??

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Convenient that.

Seen plenty, but can't recall any...
You must be a bitter person. I would be too if... "5-0".

2nd test v India in 99. Another ship-stabler innings with a half century.
1st test v NZ in 2000. He got the game back with a well worked 59.
3rd test v NZ in 2000. A brilliant partnership with Martyn after the top order complete collapsed. He got 75.
3rd test Ashes in 01. All, bar Hayden, above him collapse barely in double digits, Gilchrist posts another saving half-century. Highest score of the team and tipped Australia ahead in the match again.

Francis

State Vice-Captain
I'll probably get flammed or something for saying this but...

In an attempt to sound objective a lot of people will say things such as "My pick is X but my goodness it's close". But I have to be honest when I say it's Ponting by a clear margin. And to be honest I can't see how people here can say it's Dravid. I mean Dravid's a brilliant player, but hasn't it been a consensus that Ponting is the best batsmen in the world for the last two years or so...?

I think Kumar Sangakkara said it best at cricinfo when he wrote about Ponting. He wrote that Ponting is the best batsman in the world and maybe only Dravid can contest him in recent times. That's sort of how I feel. Like I think Sachin Tendulkar is better than Lara, but they're comparable greats. Like Sangakkara, I think Dravid "maybe only" comes close. It's fairly clear to me, and certainly to him, that Ponting is better... but Dravid is up there and abouts.

But yeah I can't explain my thoughts very well here. I've seen both and it seems pretty obvious to me. I guess that's just me and my opinion. Obviously I see things differently to others here by quite a bit.

I think Ponting is clearly better.

Rajivransingh

Cricket Spectator
Dravid is the Best

Dravid Rocks bt Ponting's Days r Now OVER!!
Rahul can Still Continue as he Showed in 2011..
By being the Highest Run Scorer in 2011 in Tests..!!! I think dats Enough 2 Prove, who is Better..!!!:)

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
tbf dravid has scored more runs than ponting since the 13th of Jan 2012. I think dats Enough 2 Prove, who is Better..!!!

MrPrez

International Debutant
This should be an interesting poll as one gets the impression that the majority of Cricketweb members would rank these two as the third and fourth greatest batsman of our time (after Lara and Tendulkar, obviously).
Fumed at this tbh. Kallis?

Anyways I didn't see them in their primes so I can't really say, but probably Punter tbh.

uvelocity

International Coach
Dravid never played 1st grade for Mowbray at the age of 12 and scored 4 hundreds in the christmas holidays.

Teja.

Global Moderator
Kallis is better than Dravid and is about equal to Ponting and will overtake him by the end of their careers, IMO.

Agree with the Crabb about Sanga. Would have him below Dravid but the way he's going..