• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best Last Over Bowlers

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
It's the 50th over of the opposition innings in an ODI, and they need 6 runs to pull off a 3-2 series win.

Question: Who do you throw the ball to?

I, personally, would place my team's fate in Damien Fleming, Steve Waugh or Chaminda Vaas.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Glenn McGrath or Steve Harmison for me.

Interesting you mentioned Steve Waugh though, why would you pick him to bowl the 50th over?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I guess it would all depend on who hadn't bowled his quota ;)

To be honest you can't pick it because a bowler might have had a shocker earlier in the game, so would not be able to get back up and perform.

Just one guy, Irfan Khan Pathan. The guy rocks!!

His yorkers are mind rippers, honestly the guy never cease to amaze cricket fans throughout the globe.

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
Somerset said:
Interesting you mentioned Steve Waugh though, why would you pick him to bowl the 50th over?
Tugga was an exceptional one-day bowler in the late eighties - basically invented a new slower ball. He was nicknamed the "Iceman" for his endgame heroics.

C_C

International Captain
Alltime...i would pick between Akram and Garner..
currently... probably McGrath in current stead....and Harmison ? dinnae make me laugh. The guy can barely get under 5rpo or take more than 1 wicket/game....
As per Waugh...yea he had a few good performances..... but he didnt invent the slower ball. I dunno who was the first, but i do know that Sarfaraz Nawaz started tinkering with it and using it in the mid/late 70s

masterblaster

International Captain
Glenn McGrath.

Why does every thread bout bowling have to mention Irfan Pathan. Im an Indian supporter, and im getting sick of it.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Today, McGrath. Among others that I've seen Wasim and Ambrose spring to mind. Basically anyone who can bowl accurately and vary length and pace without drifting down leg or something similar. The most accurate bowlers at other times more often than not translate that accuracy into good death bowling. Also, movement in the air is underrated at the death, as the best thing you can manage as a bowler is a wicket or a swing and miss.

Steve Waugh also deserves a mention for making death bowling into an artform, even if he did once give up 17 odd at Hobart to allow a tie. :p

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Some bowlers I definately would NOT want: McGrath, Vaas, Ambrose, Waqar Younis, Harvey.
Some I'd consider: Garner, Flintoff, Donald, Saqlain. Mostly, though, I'd go for Wasim Akram.