• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best Last Over Bowlers

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
Because Australia possess wicket-taking bowlers I can't remember when a side last had many in hand at the death against them.
Which says so much about McGrath's ability to bowl at the death if wickets do remain, doesn't it?
Normally he'll take wickets early, so will Gillespie, so will Lee if the batting's poor; even Hogg gets gifted wickets sometimes.
That doesn't say anything about him at the death.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
imranrabb said:
All time:Waqar younis,wasim akram,ambrose,garner
Current:Havent you seen shoiab akhtar or rana in the last few overs with those reverse swingers?Also vaas,gough and not mcgrath didnt u see what afridi and razzaq did to him recently
If Rana bowled it, there'd probably be at least nine balls...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yet nonetheless he's bowed some stupendous inswinging Yorkers in recent times.
He bowls too many no-balls, is too wayward in the early overs - but there are certainly worse death-bowlers. Or there have been recently, at least.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Richard said:
He's still nowhere near as good as he used to be.
Well he was quite exceptional against South Africa, especially considering the carnage unleashed by the likes of Kemp.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Richard said:
And Bouncers aren't any help in the last 10, especially if the fine-leg's up - they're a free-hit.
I was simply countering your ludicrous claim that McGrath and Ambrose are incapable of changing their length.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Richard said:
so will Lee if the batting's poor
8-)

Amazing that the batting all over the world - in a period of domination by batsmen no less - is poor enough to give Lee the career record of 185 wickets in 103 matches at an SR of 28.22 then. Think of all the poor batting he must have faced!

Eclipse

International Debutant
Richard McGrath is brilliant at the death, obviously when you formed your opinion a few years ago or even 1-2 years ago when he wasn't really that good..

Now days he bowls better yorkers at the death than just about anyone..

Ohh and for once would you be perpared to change your opinion, you so often appear to form judgments that are correct at the time but they don't always remain correc two years or even 2 monthes down the track.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Saqlain used to be one spinner who could be relied upon at the death.........Meh, those were the days.... No team dominated world cricket and every match was interesting. Even Zimbabwe were pretty good at that time.

imranrabb said:
All time:Waqar younis,wasim akram,ambrose,garner
Current:Havent you seen shoiab akhtar or rana in the last few overs with those reverse swingers?
Rana ??? Compare W's with Rana and you will understand the problems that aPak team is facing currently!

Rana is a club level bowler, Pak fans have been praising him like he's some kind of a legend.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
FaaipDeOiad said:
8-)

Amazing that the batting all over the world - in a period of domination by batsmen no less - is poor enough to give Lee the career record of 185 wickets in 103 matches at an SR of 28.22 then. Think of all the poor batting he must have faced!

clearly :p

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
ahhh the stupid people who constantly bag Lee... for goodness sake.

Ian Harvey for mine actually. I still think he should be in the Aussie ODI team... maybe :p I love watching him bowl at the death... hes a class act.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
GladiatrsInBlue said:
Rana ??? Compare W's with Rana and you will understand the problems that aPak team is facing currently!

Rana is a club level bowler, Pak fans have been praising him like he's some kind of a legend.
Believe me, there are far more people than just Pakistan fans that are praising Rana.

Its also extremely ironic that you criticise Pakistan fans for promoting Rana as a legend, when your sig says Pathan is a legend. :happy:

Ambrose, McGrath, Akram, they're legends. Pathan? Seems another case of an Indian fan having a go at a Pakistan fan (or as is often the case, vice versa as well).

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
LongHopCassidy said:
Eh?

I've seen better leg-breaks in a Mafia shakedown.
Well clearly you're not looking hard enough. Tendulkar is an underused and under-rated bowler IMO.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
LongHopCassidy said:
Eh?

I've seen better leg-breaks in a Mafia shakedown.
Sachin's leg-breaks are much much more useful than what many people think (do I have to remind everyone of the Aus-Ind series in 2001? Or maybe in 2003/04 when Tendulkar dismissed the great Steve Waugh and Martyn during the Adelaide test win.) :)

On top of that his off-spinners are very useful to. Hero Honda Cup semi-final in 1993 shows this. South Africa should have won that, but Sachin's last over heroics stopped that from happening.

Edit: In fact I believe Sachin was bowling leggies in the semi-final in 1993. Even better :)

Last edited: