• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Indoor stadiums for England...

MrPerko

School Boy/Girl Captain
What do you guys think?? Would an indoor (closed-roof) stadium for cricket (a la Colonial Stadium in Melbourne) be useful in the rain-drenched Mother Country??

And the more important question: How much longer before we see the first indoor Test Match, and what will be the implications for this??

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
It'll never happen.

Whilst we (well, the Welsh) have a stadium with a retractable roof, it is over a football stadium.

Cricket is played on a larger field than football.

In order to justify a custom-built cricket stadium with a retractable roof, then you would need to be confident of filling it.

That means 50,000 crowds.

Nice idea, but never in my lifetime.

MrPerko

School Boy/Girl Captain
But don't you get really pi$$ed off when test matches become dull, lifeless affairs because players are going on and coming off every hour because of the weather. Just watching the Ashes tour last year was frustrating enough because of the weather... and it wasn't even that bad.

Luckyeddie - there are other methods emerging that allow stadiums to be transformed to accommodate any time of sporting match (Stadium Australia/ Telstra Stadium in Sydney will soon hold cricket matches - along with AFL, Soccer and Rugby). And besides, over the next 10 - 20 years, the amount of revenue lost because of rained-out matches (of all types - in all sports) would probably almost cover the costs of building such a stadium anyway???

R_Powell_fan

U19 Captain
Yeah I have to agree with Mr.Pecko on the fact that the revenue lost due to rain over the comming years will come close to the cost for making a rooftop stadium...and personally i don't see an indoor test match happening in England soon...traditionalists in England cricket will make sure of it, but if other countries, i.e. Australia do go for it who knows, still though i don't see it happening soon.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Let's lay this to rest. I said that it will not happen in my lifetime, and the reason is that it is totally impractical.

In order for it to be anything other than a pipedream, you would have to address the following 3 points :

a) Where would you put it?
b) Who would finance it?
c) Who would use it?

Some of you may not be aware at the moment that we currently having all sorts of Q&A sessions at government and sports authority level over the fiasco of the redevelopment of Wembley stadium. This is likely to cost in the region of three quarters of a billion pounds, so let's assume that a new cricket venue would cost just 50% of that and try to address the three problem areas.

a) Where would you put it?
London is a non-starter. There are already two test venues in the capital. If it is a national venue, it has to be accessible to people from the sticks. The authorities already screwed up in a big way over the Millennium Dome, because they built it in an area inaccessible to Londoners even.
The only other cities where one could in all practicality site a national cricket venue are Birmingham and Manchester. Both already have test match venues. These will not be redeveloped with a roof.

b) Who would finance it?
Don't look at the ECB. If it were to cost say £300 million minimum, then the interest on the loan would be at least £15 million a year. Now let's assume 50,000 seats, filled for 5 days of a test. That's 250,000 punters paying £30 each. That's an income of £7.5 million. You would have to play 2 sellout test matches a year just to cover the interest payments. I'm sure that the other venues would have a thing or two to say about that.
Don't look at central government for finance either. If the Labour party are in puwer, would you trust the future of a sport to a party who ravaged school sports in an attempt to remove competitiveless because 'losing scars kids for life'? Alternatively, if the Tories in power, a national cricket stadium would have to be financed by private enterprise. No-one would take the financial risk involved on what is a minority sport.
Don't look at the National Lottery either. There are far more deserving handouts for funding. Not only that, income from the National Lottery is falling by 5% on a year by year basis. In future, funding would be even harder to come by.

c) Who would use it?
Other counties? Schools? Australia and Pakistan? Other sports? Rock concerts? Remember, you would need to generate an income in the region of £1 million a week in order to finance it.

Nice idea. That's all.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Auckland is getting an indoor sports/entertainment arena ready for 2004, I think its only going to fit around 15,000 and it remains to be seen whether cricket will be played there.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
sorry that figure was totally wrong.

The council is still deciding whether to build a 15'000 seater for just entertainment and smaller events such as Netball/Basketball or to go ahead & create a much bigger venue for Rugby/Cricket etc with a capacity of 35'000/40'000, either they are are due to start building it anytime now.

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
I think in the future we will certainly see indoor test matches... I can't see it in the near future though.

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
lucky , for financing im sure there are rich businessman who pay to buy seats , donations , money from matches played , sponsorship etc Im sure they can make enough money to make a really good stadium , and as for location either England or Australia would be the choice

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
It would have to be Australia, then.

We can't even decide on a design to replace Wembley stadium for footy (and that's been crawling on for 3 years now).

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Or an Athletics Stadium, Picketts Lock *cough*

In fact, anything to do with London and Stadia (or Domes) turns out a distaster :(!

However... maybe something could be worked into a National Stadium for Football, Athletics with space for a cricket pitch/drop-in square type thing?