• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who Would you have Bat for your Life

Who would you have to bat for your life

• Justin Langer

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Ricky Ponting

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • Damien Martyn

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Stephen Fleming

• Michael Vaughan

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Andrew Strauss

• Rahul Dravid

Votes: 41 64.1%
  • Brian Lara

• Jacques Kallis

Votes: 5 7.8%
  • Graham Smith

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Please Specify)

Votes: 5 7.8%

• Total voters

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
SpeedKing said:
How come Thorpie is not on this list, he is definitely safer than the likes of Smith.
If you asked Thorpe to survive a straight, full slower-ball for you, chances are your time would be up.
The only 2 bowlers who have ever troubled Graeme Smith have been Martin Bicknell and Matthew Hoggard.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
SpeedKing said:
Yep, Mr. JH Kallis for me too, he is so selfish with his wicket
Which only very, very rarely results in him doing anything but helping his team.
Just to clarify.

Deja moo

International Captain
LongHopCassidy said:
LOL at no votes for Lara here.........

And Sachin not even on the list........
Not surprising really...although I would have had Sachin on the list instead of Lara. To have someone batting for your life, you need a consistent batsman. And Sachin is certainly more consistent than Lara. Regardless, both are hit or miss IMO.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
I would never put my life at stake in the hope that the bowler wont be able to manage a perfectly pitched swinging yorker or that Bucknor will not suddenly decide that I have overstayed on planet earth :sleep:

ReallyCrazy

Banned
DRAVID

I'd have chosen Dravid even if S. Waugh was still playing.

Tendulkar should have been on the list looking at some of the guys you have

C_C

International Captain
Deja moo said:
Not surprising really...although I would have had Sachin on the list instead of Lara. To have someone batting for your life, you need a consistent batsman. And Sachin is certainly more consistent than Lara. Regardless, both are hit or miss IMO.

Hit or Miss ?
You are talkin about the top two batsmen since the peak of Viv Richards here......

When Kallis manages to average atleast 40 against a good/great bowling team, you can get back to me. So far he has been owned by the pakistanis(when the two Ws were playing) and Australia....

Lara and Tendulkar have done better against quality bowling attack for ANYONE bar Steve Waugh in the past 15 years or so.

Lara's consistency ( 50+ score rate) is 36.54% and Tendulkar's is 37.30%
The only ones in the list that compares are Dravid with 36.30% and Kallis with 36.73%

Ponting is at 34.05 and he is near them as well i suppose.
As for the rest, it is an insult to Lara and Tendulkar to include newbies like Smith or Strauss ahead of them..and it is insulting to them to even THINK that merely good players like Vaughan even a very good Martyn even comes anywhere CLOSE to them.
As per Flemmo....well i can think of a dozen batsmen active TODAY that i would take ahead of Flemmo.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Really?
How often last winter did Giles bowl at him?
Perhaps on 2, maybe 3, occasions?
Made him look a bit uncomfortable then dismissed him once, and apart from that?
Not to mention the ridiculous ease with which he played him in the double-centuries (except the lbw).

Can anyone detail for me ONE situation ever in world history where a cricket player has saved someone's life by whacking a stupid red ball with a stupid piece of timber?

Thats a very good point you raise Pinkline. I certainly can not think of a single situation where someone was in the position whereby, if they were dismissed, another human being would die. Absolute sillyness to suggest otherwise IMO.

Ray Hadley

Cricket Spectator
I would suggest we give it a try though...there's something gladitorial about it that grabs my attention. Perhaps, you, Pinkline could go into bat for Richard's miserable life. I'll take bets now that the mode of dismissal will be hit wicket.

On the contrary Ray, Im certain the mode of dismissal would be "timed out." I really cant see any reason that Pinkline (or anyone for that matter) would even bother making their way to the crease to bat for that person's life.

Ray Hadley

Cricket Spectator
John Laws CBE said:
On the contrary Ray, Im certain the mode of dismissal would be "timed out." I really cant see any reason that Pinkline (or anyone for that matter) would even bother making their way to the crease to bat for that person's life.
Perhaps you have a point John, either way it would make great theatre. Perhaps they could include it in the opening ceremony for the Commonwealth games next year?