• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Bond's first-class comeback confirmed

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Blaze said:
I wonder how we can find out how quick he is bowling Kent. Any ideas?
I have no time for 'Kent'. He was horrible to Wellington players, and their girlfriends didn't like it.

No real ideas about how you could measure Bond's speed, other than just watching whatever the TV channels show tonight (if any of them bothered to travel). Sulzberger apparently fended a short one to third slip, although if Bond was bowling more than the odd ball at 145+, I don't think any NZ provincial side would've survived 108 balls against him for just one dismissal.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Bond finishes with 1/85 off 19, including five maidens, so effectively the other 14 overs gave away more than six runs per over. Not exactly outstanding figures, but it's better than seeing him with his feet up.

Choora

State Regular
Bond must be a God in NZ, i have gone though many thread about Bond's comback.Probably the only cricket who even while not playing international cricket makes so many headlines.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Choora said:
Bond must be a God in NZ, i have gone though many thread about Bond's comback.Probably the only cricket who even while not playing international cricket makes so many headlines.
Well he's proven he can single-handedly dismantle Australia - without him, we've generally struggled and will continue to. The fact that he's only played a handful of ODIs and 10 tests is irrelevant to most Kiwi fans.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Ming said:
Well, he is New Zealand's best pace bowler.

Much like how Paks always talk up Shoaib.
He is not just Kiwis' best, he is one of the worlds premium fast bowlers.

The game will be richer by his return. Playing New zealand with Bond in the attack (fully fit) will be a totally different ball game. is better than some other FAST bowlers with much more hype in today's cricket.

Sir Redman

State Vice-Captain
SJS said:

The game will be richer by his return. Playing New zealand with Bond in the attack (fully fit) will be a totally different ball game. is better than some other FAST bowlers with much more hype in today's cricket.
People seem to think that the only reason Bond got all those wickets was because of his pace. Just as important was his inswing and ability to bowl in the right place.
Oh, and he had a killer yorker. I remember the game at Eden Park versus India (the "crap pitches" series). Bond bowled Sehwag with a yorker that swung about a foot.

Im not too worried that he only got 1-85. As long as he is playing at a reasonable standard to ready him for international cricket I will be happy. Bond, unlike other NZ bowlers, steps up on the big stage and takes it upon himself to get the opposition out.

Choora

State Regular
SJS said:

Bond was certainly good, but considering he had played just ten test matches its premature to label him as the world's premium fast bowler

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Kudos to TV3 for actually getting a camera to New Plymouth on Friday. In the deliveries (mostly effort balls) they showed I'd give Bond back his 'fastest in NZ' title, but with an action that I think most cricket fans would say is visibly different to what they remember.

I agree 100% with Sir Redman about there being a lot more to Bond than just pace - so seeing his alterations for the first time and remembering the talk from Ashley Ross about him becoming an ("even more dangerous") outswing bowler suggests we all have to wipe the slate clean, and almost judge him like a new name that's just entered the FC scene.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Kippax said:
Kudos to TV3 for actually getting a camera to New Plymouth on Friday. In the deliveries (mostly effort balls) they showed I'd give Bond back his 'fastest in NZ' title, but with an action that I think most cricket fans would say is visibly different to what they remember.

I agree 100% with Sir Redman about there being a lot more to Bond than just pace - so seeing his alterations for the first time and remembering the talk from Ashley Ross about him becoming an ("even more dangerous") outswing bowler suggests we all have to wipe the slate clean, and almost judge him like a new name that's just entered the FC scene.
Was this featured on last night's TV3 news? Unfortunately I wasn't watching the TV at the time, otherwise I might've seen it.

As far as his action goes, I'm surprised you labelled it 'visibly different'. From what I saw of his action in his first club game back from injury, it appeared very similar, which is odd. Still, a potentially more dangerous Bond is hardly going to make any New Zealanders disappointed with a new action!

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Sorry, it was on TV3's news last Friday - was a bit busy in the weekend so hadn't posted about it on CW.

I taped what they showed, thought it looked a bit different, and then got my old tapes out. I agree with you that his action hasn't suddenly started looking like Brett Lee's or anything - it's nothing that major - but there were a few differences in terms of his raised arms and his hips as he hit the crease.

Bond did mention in an interview that changing from a 'mixed action' to one that's less likely to injure his back was quite a big deal, and still required quite a bit of his attention to avoid slipping out of the habit. He said that people who've watched him quite a bit might notice the changes when they next saw him.

Last edited: