Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Players who've overcome physical disadvantages

Players who've overcome physical disadvantages

This thread was inspired by cbuts post in the Mark Greatbatch thread (now closed):

Quote Originally Posted by cbuts
    gotta remeber as well hadlee had a severe heart condition that plagued him throughout his career
    I genuinely hadn't heard that about the great man. Thanks to the magic of the interweb-thingy I now know that Sir Rich suffered from Wolf-Parkinson-White Syndrome which (apparently) causes an abnormal rhythm of the heart.

I think it throws his achievements into sharper focus; carrying NZ for nearly two decades & a bum ticker to boot! My respect for the fella has gone up even more.

It got me thinking about other players who've overcome similar physical adversity. I suppose the obvious example is Murali. He is famously unable to straighten his elbows, but has certainly turned (get it? ) those imperfect joints to his advantage; perhaps it's time to recognise his triumph over a genetic abnormality rather than upbraid him for his unique action.

Others I can think of are the Nawab of Pataudi (junior) who played 46 tests for India (with a decent average of nearly 35) despite virtual blindness in his right eye following a car crash at only 21 & Colin Milburn who also returned to FC cricket after the loss of sight in one eye.

Anyone know of any more?
    Cricket Web's current Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"Ben Stokes, that most unlikely saint, worked the second of the two miracles he needs for his canonisation." - The Guardian's Andy Bell on the England all-rounder's Headingley ton

International Regular twctopcat's Avatar
    Chandrasekhar's right arm was withered due to a polio attack when he was young which made him run up with one limp arm to the crease, seemed to do ok though!!
    R.I.P Fardin Qayyumi (Cricket Player)

'Last one on drugs is a queer,' yells portillo..
    Hope is a good thing, maybe even the best of things. And no good thing ever dies......
    Self appointed president of the KPPAS

On a side not do Rob Key and Mike Gatting count, and what about acid smeared Rikki Clarke??

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by twctopcat
    Chandrasekhar's right arm was withered due to a polio attack when he was young which made him run up with one limp arm to the crease, seemed to do ok though!!
    Not to mention his six fingers... more of an advantage, that, of course.
    Fred Tetanus likes this.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby
    It got me thinking about other players who've overcome similar physical adversity. I suppose the obvious example is Murali. He is famously unable to straighten his elbows, but has certainly turned (get it? ) those imperfect joints to his advantage; perhaps it's time to recognise his triumph over a genetic abnormality rather than upbraid him for his unique action.
    Murali CATEGORICALLY HAS NOT benefited from his elbow defect. It has caused him no end of of problems and has resulted in the unwary continually branding him a chucker.
    He does, ironically, have another physical defect which does help him do something just about no-one else can do - turn the ball miles with his wrists in a direction those with a normal joint can't.
    Colin Milburn who also returned to FC cricket after the loss of sight in one eye.
    He was never half the player after and should never have attempted to return. He always said, afterwards, that he wished he hadn't.
    David Fulton, in case you don't know (and I'm sure you do) lost half his sight in an eye 2 years ago... his right eye, mercifully. Which means he can still bat as well as he could before.
    Fred Tetanus likes this.

Plasmanaut on Fire Champion!

yeah he was my first thought, more wickets than runs as a result. amazing record as a bowler though
    Member of CW Green
    Kerry O'Keefe - Worlds funniest Commentator

Plasmanaut on Fire Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    Murali CATEGORICALLY HAS NOT benefited from his elbow defect. It has caused him no end of of problems and has resulted in the unwary continually branding him a chucker.
    He does, ironically, have another physical defect which does help him do something just about no-one else can do - turn the ball miles with his wrists in a direction those with a normal joint can't.

murali has overcome nothing, it gives him a bog advantage over his comeptition.

On a side not do Rob Key and Mike Gatting count
    Self-inflicted wounds such as fags (Key) do NOT count.
    And I never realised Mike Gatting's love of the grub never seemed to cause him too many problems - did it?
    Fred Tetanus likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by age_master
    murali has overcome nothing, it gives him a bog advantage over his comeptition.
    Not his elbow doesn't, it makes precisely no difference.
    As for his wrist - yes, it does. Same way Lee has an advantage over his competition in that he has a faster arm than almost anyone. Too bad he's not accurate enough to take advantage of that.
    Fred Tetanus likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    Self-inflicted wounds such as fags (Key) do NOT count.
    And I never realised Mike Gatting's love of the grub never seemed to cause him too many problems - did it?
    Bellies are big disadvantages

Yet Mike Gatting is not horrendously overweight (even now), he's just one of those guys who likes his food.
    There's a difference between that and Craig Evans!
    Fred Tetanus likes this.

And then there's a joke.

Hmm... you didn't sound like you were joking about Mike Gatting's belly to me, and nor do the 50,000,000 other people who go on about how he likes his grub.
    Fred Tetanus likes this.

Cricket Web Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    Just to head off the obvious joke on Marc's part - Pollock's not disadvantaged through being ginger...
    MSN Messenger: minardineil2000 at hotmail dot com | AAAS Chairman
    CricketWeb Black | CricketWeb XI Captain
    ClarkeWatch: We're Watching Rikki - Are You?

Up The Grecians - Exeter City FC

Completing the Square: My Cricket Web Blog

To head off on the part of our long-suffering Liam... no, everyone who's ever played for West Indies isn't disadvantaged because they smoke pot...
    Fred Tetanus likes this.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information