• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Players who've overcome physical disadvantages

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
SpeedKing said:
i know its not rocket science but if someone says ''Giles is a legspinner to right handers and an offspinner to left handers'', then wot is he? Isn,t it easier to say that Giles is left arm orthodox.
That's the precise point I was making. :)
Fingerspin and wristspin are much the more sensible definitions.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Richard said:
He spins the ball from the off to right-handed batsmen only.
To a left-hander he spins it from the leg.

It's judged on stock-balls. Which is why it's silly to classify Saqlain an off-break\leg-break bowler (as Wisden has done) because his stock-ball is an off-break-to-the-right-hander.

The same proof that any spinner is not a fingerspinner.
All bowlers use the fingers to grip the ball, but the spin is imparted by the wrist. Whereas a "fingerspinner" imparts the spin without really using the wrist.
The definitions re: a bowler and what they bowl are all judged on bowling to right-handers if you're a right-handed bowler and left-handers if you're a left-handed bowler - it's really not that hard to understand and it's never changed depending on who you're bowling to.

Doesn't your second paragraph about Saqlain cancel out what you've said in the first?

I think you'll find that's wrong, the very reason off-spinners are called 'finger spinners' is because they use their fingers to impart spin on the ball (I'm not denying the wrist plays a part too, but the fingers are the more important of the two). It has more to do with the position of the hand and the action used to bowl off-spinners and leg-spinners. Leg-spinners (or wrist-spinners) get more turn generally due to the wrist playing a larger part, but the fingers also play some part in getting the ball to turn - even if that part is very small.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Son Of Coco said:
The definitions re: a bowler and what they bowl are all judged on bowling to right-handers if you're a right-handed bowler and left-handers if you're a left-handed bowler - it's really not that hard to understand and it's never changed depending on who you're bowling to.
And the point is - especially nowadays - there are so many left-handers it's misleading.
Doesn't your second paragraph about Saqlain cancel out what you've said in the first?
No, the point is that all bowlers are judged on their stock-ball - leg-break-googly is another stupid one - are you really going to call Murali OBW (off-break\wrong-'un)? Or Gough RAFSB (right-arm-fast\slower-ball). No. All definitions are on the stock-ball.
I think you'll find that's wrong, the very reason off-spinners are called 'finger spinners' is because they use their fingers to impart spin on the ball (I'm not denying the wrist plays a part too, but the fingers are the more important of the two). It has more to do with the position of the hand and the action used to bowl off-spinners and leg-spinners. Leg-spinners (or wrist-spinners) get more turn generally due to the wrist playing a larger part, but the fingers also play some part in getting the ball to turn - even if that part is very small.
Look, I know that - it's just the simple thing that "wristspinner" and "fingerspinner" are far easier to say that "primarily-wrist-but-fingers-play-a-tiny-little-part-spinner" and primarily-fingers-but-wrist-plays-a-tiny-little-part-spinner". Yes? :)
And according to tec wristspinners don't get much more turn than fingerspinners, no.