• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Player of the Month: February

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
For anyone who hasn't noticed (:)), with the new design, CricketWeb have also launched a new player-of-the-month column. Last month, Matthew Hoggard took the honour after his Johannesburg showdown with fellow contender Jacques Kallis, but this month I'm torn.

For me, it's between Kevin Pietersen and Glenn McGrath. What I don't want is a legion of Aussies telling me it's McGrath and a gang of Brits telling me it's KPP. What I do want is either impartial offerings or Aussies/Brits prepared to go against their country, so to speak, and back the foreigner for the award...

I'm personally sliding towards Big Kev right now, as let's face it, we all knew what Glenn could do, whilst Pietersen was a wonderful surprise, especially in the situation. Honourable mentions to Herschelle Gibbs and Justin Kemp.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Kevin Pietersen by a mile. We've seen Glenn McGrath do what he has done before. However, Pietersen is just starting out his career and the match when he scored a ton when he came in at 3 for not many oozed of class. I would seriously consider him for the World ODI side for the super series.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
KP. Spectacular stuff although McGrath did more to ensure wins for his team (as any bowler is apt to do).

Scallywag

Banned
Brett Lee must get a mention.

I'm sure nobody expected him to get man of the series in the VB series and then he tops it off by belting the second best ODI team.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I'd say McGrath's achievements have been the better, but as has been said - not like it's any news to us.
If being a revelation comes into it (not that no-one expected Pietersen to do well - but not quite THIS well) then yeah, Pietersen.

cbuts

International Debutant
surly mgrath. done against a higher level of oppostion. peitersien, is a bit like clarke. just a new kid on the block. give it a series or two and he will come back down to earth

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Definately Pietersen, although Lee deserves a mention. To make such an impression against the country he was born in was something else and although England lost the series, Kevin Pietersen certainly stood out.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
McGrath had a top month, but not any better than his January. My pick would be either Pietersen for his outstanding effort in his first real test on the world stage,.or Lee for silencing his critics with an awesome VB series and good start against New Zealand.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
KP gets my vote. Obviously McGrath had a great month, and I too believe Lee deserved a 'nomination' but KP stands out the most for me.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
it seems a lot of people are picking KP over Pidge, largely due to the fact that its the beginning of his career. What more could McGrath have done this month?!?

For me:

McGrath
Kevin
Bretty boy
Bracken? :D

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
cbuts said:
surly mgrath. done against a higher level of oppostion. peitersien, is a bit like clarke. just a new kid on the block. give it a series or two and he will come back down to earth
If by that you mean he won't average 150 forever - no, he won't.
But if it means he'll not have any real success again - I think otherwise, myself.