Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Van Jaarsveld retires to England

Pinball Champion!

Van Jaarsveld retires to England

Just checked cricinfo.. Totally shocked and has made me feel pretty down..

Id have said Van Jaarsveld had no more tests for South Africa in him, but he remained my favourite current SA player, didnt score enough runs for his country.. I still held a great deal of hope for him though.. I guess he's followed the strong pound because he won't be playing for SA any more, fair enough.. But im still really really gutted.. He was one player I was really looking forward to seeing out there.

Best of luck over here mate

Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

Elm, he do brood. And Oak, he do hate. But the Willow-man goes walking, If you stays out late.
    personally i didnt really rate him i am afraid to say, he never looked very confident in his own ability, intresting that his test career is over before it had really gotten off the ground.

although i have to say that he is the only player i have ever known to use this excuse for lonsing his wicket.

" i underestimated the ability of my bat "

I'd say it was the second test vs us that probably did it for him. IIRC he scored a v useful 49 in the second innings which was a good part of the reason we couldn't force the win, but was still dumped whilst Amla was retained.

I don't wanna mention the "Q" word, but I can't blame the bloke for taking the Queen's shilling.

Qualifies for England in 4 years anyway!
    Cricket Web's current Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"Ben Stokes, that most unlikely saint, worked the second of the two miracles he needs for his canonisation." - The Guardian's Andy Bell on the England all-rounder's Headingley ton

Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby
    I'd say it was the second test vs us that probably did it for him. IIRC he scored a v useful 49 in the second innings which was a good part of the reason we couldn't force the win, but was still dumped whilst Amla was retained.

I don't wanna mention the "Q" word, but I can't blame the bloke for taking the Queen's shilling.

Qualifies for England in 4 years anyway!
    Bah humbug. Amla's been & gone, and MVJ still isn't deemed good enough for SA. You couldn't say he wouldn't have played again if ABdeV lost his form or if there were a couple of injuries, but it seems he didn't back himself to get back into the reckoning. I can understand why Langeveldt's unhappy. A pox on the counties who throw their money at these guys instead of developing a few of their own.

Pinball Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by wpdavid
    Bah humbug. Amla's been & gone, and MVJ still isn't deemed good enough for SA. You couldn't say he wouldn't have played again if ABdeV lost his form or if there were a couple of injuries, but it seems he didn't back himself to get back into the reckoning. I can understand why Langeveldt's unhappy. A pox on the counties who throw their money at these guys instead of developing a few of their own.
    Will soon be a full on rash, not a pox..

And when England start losing matches, who is going to get blamed?

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Hopefully he might be qualified to put that right by then.
    I can certainly think of plenty of players I'd prefer not play for England than MvJ.
    Fred Tetanus likes this.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Pinball Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    Hopefully he might be qualified to put that right by then.
    I can certainly think of plenty of players I'd prefer not play for England than MvJ.
    Oh me too, I doubt he would have played another game for South Africa, quota or no quota, hes had quite a few oppetunitys.. Still a very fine batsman though.. And after all he is entitled to chase the pound if he really insists, after all, I'm going to SA partly because of money issues...

Money Money Money Champion! Tournaments Won: 7
    Disappointing news for South Africa, he appeared to be a decent batsman with a useful technique so it's a shame he's decided to leave his country to England. I'm not sure of where he was regarded in the future of South African cricket, not particularly high by the sounds of things, but it's sad news anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Langeveldt
    Will soon be a full on rash, not a pox..

And when England start losing matches, who is going to get blamed?
    I'm sure your first point's spot on. Short termism is rife in the English game, AFAICS.

As for your second point, it depends on who's doing the blaming. Take your pick from the captain, the coach, the counties, the umpires, the ICC & Mark Ramprakash.

International Regular chris.hinton's Avatar
    I fed up of Players coming over here after then cannot get into the current test tea anymore, so they can have a big pay day

We have got to have a limit on this ( 2 overseas, 1 Kolpak)

it is harming English talent

Quote Originally Posted by wpdavid
    As for your second point, it depends on who's doing the blaming. Take your pick from the captain, the coach, the counties, the umpires, the ICC & Mark Ramprakash.
    Try the first 3 (publically), the fourth (by some) and not the fifth - even he can't be blamed unless he's playing.
    Fred Tetanus likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Somerset
    Disappointing news for South Africa, he appeared to be a decent batsman with a useful technique so it's a shame he's decided to leave his country to England. I'm not sure of where he was regarded in the future of South African cricket, not particularly high by the sounds of things, but it's sad news anyway.
    I think there are better players around - McKenzie and the like - but like I say, I can think of plenty I'd prefer didn't play for England.
    Fred Tetanus likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by chris.hinton
    I fed up of Players coming over here after then cannot get into the current test tea anymore, so they can have a big pay day

We have got to have a limit on this ( 2 overseas, 1 Kolpak)

it is harming English talent
    Harming the chances of it coming through, possibly (though I think it's overexaggerated - if a player is international class he'll come through anyway), but more significantly it's taking a lot of money that would be much better spent on long-term preservation.
    Fred Tetanus likes this.

International Regular chris.hinton's Avatar
    I agree Rich but Counties should be providing players For the England national Team as they have Pre-Kolpak

Yes, they should - but if someone's good enough to play for England they'll get into their county sides regardless of who's there.
    Fred Tetanus likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information