Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 36
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Van Jaarsveld retires to England

  1. #1
    Soutie Langeveldt's Avatar
    Pinball Champion!
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Leeuwarden, Netherlands
    Posts
    29,567

    Van Jaarsveld retires to England

    Just checked cricinfo.. Totally shocked and has made me feel pretty down..

    Id have said Van Jaarsveld had no more tests for South Africa in him, but he remained my favourite current SA player, didnt score enough runs for his country.. I still held a great deal of hope for him though.. I guess he's followed the strong pound because he won't be playing for SA any more, fair enough.. But im still really really gutted.. He was one player I was really looking forward to seeing out there.



    Best of luck over here mate

    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

    ****.

  2. #2
    Spanish_Vicente sledger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Elm, he do brood. And Oak, he do hate. But the Willow-man goes walking, If you stays out late.
    Posts
    47,476
    personally i didnt really rate him i am afraid to say, he never looked very confident in his own ability, intresting that his test career is over before it had really gotten off the ground.

    although i have to say that he is the only player i have ever known to use this excuse for lonsing his wicket.

    " i underestimated the ability of my bat "

  3. #3
    Englishman BoyBrumby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Gone too soon
    Posts
    47,040
    I'd say it was the second test vs us that probably did it for him. IIRC he scored a v useful 49 in the second innings which was a good part of the reason we couldn't force the win, but was still dumped whilst Amla was retained.

    I don't wanna mention the "Q" word, but I can't blame the bloke for taking the Queen's shilling.

    Qualifies for England in 4 years anyway!
    Cricket Web's current Premier League Tipping Champion

    - As featured in The Independent.

    "Ben Stokes, that most unlikely saint, worked the second of the two miracles he needs for his canonisation." - The Guardian's Andy Bell on the England all-rounder's Headingley ton

  4. #4
    International Coach wpdavid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    12,601
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby
    I'd say it was the second test vs us that probably did it for him. IIRC he scored a v useful 49 in the second innings which was a good part of the reason we couldn't force the win, but was still dumped whilst Amla was retained.

    I don't wanna mention the "Q" word, but I can't blame the bloke for taking the Queen's shilling.

    Qualifies for England in 4 years anyway!
    Bah humbug. Amla's been & gone, and MVJ still isn't deemed good enough for SA. You couldn't say he wouldn't have played again if ABdeV lost his form or if there were a couple of injuries, but it seems he didn't back himself to get back into the reckoning. I can understand why Langeveldt's unhappy. A pox on the counties who throw their money at these guys instead of developing a few of their own.


  5. #5
    Soutie Langeveldt's Avatar
    Pinball Champion!
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Leeuwarden, Netherlands
    Posts
    29,567
    Quote Originally Posted by wpdavid
    Bah humbug. Amla's been & gone, and MVJ still isn't deemed good enough for SA. You couldn't say he wouldn't have played again if ABdeV lost his form or if there were a couple of injuries, but it seems he didn't back himself to get back into the reckoning. I can understand why Langeveldt's unhappy. A pox on the counties who throw their money at these guys instead of developing a few of their own.
    Will soon be a full on rash, not a pox..

    And when England start losing matches, who is going to get blamed?

  6. #6
    Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    2005
    Posts
    80,401
    Hopefully he might be qualified to put that right by then.
    I can certainly think of plenty of players I'd prefer not play for England than MvJ.
    Fred Tetanus likes this.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

  7. #7
    Soutie Langeveldt's Avatar
    Pinball Champion!
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Leeuwarden, Netherlands
    Posts
    29,567
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    Hopefully he might be qualified to put that right by then.
    I can certainly think of plenty of players I'd prefer not play for England than MvJ.
    Oh me too, I doubt he would have played another game for South Africa, quota or no quota, hes had quite a few oppetunitys.. Still a very fine batsman though.. And after all he is entitled to chase the pound if he really insists, after all, I'm going to SA partly because of money issues...

  8. #8
    Cricketer Of The Year Somerset's Avatar
    Money Money Money Champion! Tournaments Won: 7
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    9,863
    Disappointing news for South Africa, he appeared to be a decent batsman with a useful technique so it's a shame he's decided to leave his country to England. I'm not sure of where he was regarded in the future of South African cricket, not particularly high by the sounds of things, but it's sad news anyway.

  9. #9
    International Coach wpdavid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    12,601
    Quote Originally Posted by Langeveldt
    Will soon be a full on rash, not a pox..

    And when England start losing matches, who is going to get blamed?
    I'm sure your first point's spot on. Short termism is rife in the English game, AFAICS.

    As for your second point, it depends on who's doing the blaming. Take your pick from the captain, the coach, the counties, the umpires, the ICC & Mark Ramprakash.

  10. #10
    International Regular chris.hinton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    3,335
    I fed up of Players coming over here after then cannot get into the current test tea anymore, so they can have a big pay day

    We have got to have a limit on this ( 2 overseas, 1 Kolpak)

    it is harming English talent

  11. #11
    Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    2005
    Posts
    80,401
    Quote Originally Posted by wpdavid
    As for your second point, it depends on who's doing the blaming. Take your pick from the captain, the coach, the counties, the umpires, the ICC & Mark Ramprakash.
    Try the first 3 (publically), the fourth (by some) and not the fifth - even he can't be blamed unless he's playing.
    Fred Tetanus likes this.

  12. #12
    Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    2005
    Posts
    80,401
    Quote Originally Posted by Somerset
    Disappointing news for South Africa, he appeared to be a decent batsman with a useful technique so it's a shame he's decided to leave his country to England. I'm not sure of where he was regarded in the future of South African cricket, not particularly high by the sounds of things, but it's sad news anyway.
    I think there are better players around - McKenzie and the like - but like I say, I can think of plenty I'd prefer didn't play for England.
    Fred Tetanus likes this.

  13. #13
    Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    2005
    Posts
    80,401
    Quote Originally Posted by chris.hinton
    I fed up of Players coming over here after then cannot get into the current test tea anymore, so they can have a big pay day

    We have got to have a limit on this ( 2 overseas, 1 Kolpak)

    it is harming English talent
    Harming the chances of it coming through, possibly (though I think it's overexaggerated - if a player is international class he'll come through anyway), but more significantly it's taking a lot of money that would be much better spent on long-term preservation.
    Fred Tetanus likes this.

  14. #14
    International Regular chris.hinton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    3,335
    I agree Rich but Counties should be providing players For the England national Team as they have Pre-Kolpak

  15. #15
    Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    2005
    Posts
    80,401
    Yes, they should - but if someone's good enough to play for England they'll get into their county sides regardless of who's there.
    Fred Tetanus likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. The Name Game.
    By yaju in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 1109
    Last Post: 09-12-2011, 07:43 AM
  2. Aussie media mocks England
    By wahindiawah in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 48
    Last Post: 09-11-2011, 02:47 PM
  3. 2023 - Weaver's Year (Story)
    By Neil Pickup in forum Cricket Games
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 31-12-2005, 05:22 AM
  4. Harmison the World Top rated Bowler
    By Swervy in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 105
    Last Post: 26-08-2004, 05:24 PM
  5. Roller-coaster Ashes 2002
    By Magrat Garlick in forum Cricket Games
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-07-2004, 06:10 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •