• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

nz man4man better than australia

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Man, is this NZ side the most overrated team in recent years or what? Yes, they are a quality OD outfit that work together well as a team despite lacking really world class individual performers, and yes they can make a fair claim to be the outright number two side in the world at the moment. But to suggest that they are man for man (meaning, based on individuals) even in the same league as Australia is ludicrous. Sri Lanka aren't far behind them, and if England can sort out their bowling and selection issues and get Flintoff back they will be closing in as well. Frankly, I picked Australia to beat New Zealand 4-1 in this series, and I haven't seen anything to change my mind on the matter.

A good OD side? Absolutely. A great, star-studded lineup breathing down Australia's neck? Not even close.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
New Zealand certainly have some quality players (two of their best, Harris and Oram, are missing - and of course another has been missing for God-knows-how-long).
But I don't think they have as much quality as Australia.
To suggest that England are anywhere near them, though, is ludicrous.
If they could have picked Papps, Oram, Harris and Bond ahead of Tuffey, Wilson\Adams, Sinclair and Mills, I reckon the series would have been a hell of a lot closer (and it ain't like the 1st game wasn't incredibly close anyway).

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
nibbs said:
the results are gonna start coming any day now i reckon
As a Kiwi...I'd say on current form the only NZ'er that would make the Aussie oneday side at the moment would be Vettori for Brad Hogg.......But thats all !!

cbuts

International Debutant
i think nibbs must hae been ****ed or stoned when he posted that :p
richard, harris is not a class player. he is a has been. and he normally struggles to get into the kiwi side

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
zinzan12 said:
As a Kiwi...I'd say on current form the only NZ'er that would make the Aussie oneday side at the moment would be Vettori for Brad Hogg.......But thats all !!
Bond for anyone bar McGrath (if he was fit - which it seems there is actually a genuine possibility of happening - soon).
I also think Astle's a better player than Hayden. Regardless of any difference in average. Astle's been poor recently, of course.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
cbuts said:
richard, harris is not a class player. he is a has been. and he normally struggles to get into the kiwi side
Harris, a has-been?
His record hasn't denegrated much recently as I've noticed - particularly his bowling (and I'd pick him as a bowler alone - far better than Tuffey and Mills)
It's not surprising he's currently struggling to get in, given that he's injured.

Macka

U19 Vice-Captain
Sadly, the Aussie one-day team is almost man for man a better side. Vettori over Hogg? Maybe, it would be close though - Hogg has improved a lot recently. The Aussies don't really have a 'class' all-rounder. Symonds' bowling isn't great compared to Cairns' (career wise), but his batting is more consistant - especially over the last few years.

Scallywag

Banned
I noticed this little gem on an Australian cricket site and thought wow ..

"I've just come back from NZ and was amazed at the national inferiority complex that exists there, when comparing with anything Australian.Their cricket team believe they are nowhere near as good as Australia and that's a fact. While people in Australia would hardly give NZ a thought as they go through their daily lives, many Kiwis are obsessed with how they are doing in comparision to the Aussies"

Blaze

Banned
Scallywag said:
I noticed this little gem on an Australian cricket site and thought wow ..

"I've just come back from NZ and was amazed at the national inferiority complex that exists there, when comparing with anything Australian.Their cricket team believe they are nowhere near as good as Australia and that's a fact. While people in Australia would hardly give NZ a thought as they go through their daily lives, many Kiwis are obsessed with how they are doing in comparision to the Aussies"

Thats true. Because you are our Big Brother and we aspire to be a great sporting nation like you guys.

Fiery

Banned
Richard said:
Harris, a has-been?
His record hasn't denegrated much recently as I've noticed - particularly his bowling (and I'd pick him as a bowler alone - far better than Tuffey and Mills)
It's not surprising he's currently struggling to get in, given that he's injured.
Yes, Harris, a has-been. I would be very surprised if Harris ever plays for NZ again actually. We would have to be struck-down with injuries. He may have got a couple of games in this series if he wasn't injured because of the injuries to Styris and Oram but when we're fully fit he wouldn't get a look in any more I doubt.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
Perish the thought a New Zealander would know more about a New Zealand player than you do 8-)
Perish the thought, nationality is relevant to analytical ability.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Fiery said:
Yes, Harris, a has-been. I would be very surprised if Harris ever plays for NZ again actually. We would have to be struck-down with injuries. He may have got a couple of games in this series if he wasn't injured because of the injuries to Styris and Oram but when we're fully fit he wouldn't get a look in any more I doubt.
So... who else is out there who can bowl anywhere near the required standard in ODIs? Because one thing for sure - Tuffey and Mills can't.

Fiery

Banned
Richard said:
So... who else is out there who can bowl anywhere near the required standard in ODIs? Because one thing for sure - Tuffey and Mills can't.
Admittedly, they have been poor but Tuffey is a quality bowler when on form and I can take or leave Mills who seems to have been given a free ride ever since Bracewell took over. Harris wouldn't be competing for the opening bowling spot anyway.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yet - his record is better than almost anyone who's played for NZ in the last decade - except Gavin Larsen of course.
It simply seems to me that people refuse to accept someone so unorthodox can be anywhere near as good as he actually is.
Tuffey's been good of times, yes, but I've always considered him exceptionally overrated in ODIs - and his domestic record ain't flash, either.