• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

John Wright hints at exit

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
If he goes in May that's a shame, really.
Unfinished work, IMO.
The chemistry of Kiwi-Indian has worked a treat.
Personally I think John Bracewell would make a much better coach of India than of New Zealand.

masterblaster

International Captain
Especially since Bracewell and New Zealand coaches in general give a lot of emphasis to team work, good fielding, fitness and bowling.

India's always been good at batting, but we need a coach who can really 'coach' the next generation of fast bowlers. The talent is there right now with Irfan Pathan, Joginder Sharma, Gagandeep Singh and so on, but we need people who are qualified and know what their talking about.

If John Wright leaves, it will be unfinished business as Richard said.

anzac

International Debutant
how about a swap - Wright for NZL & Bracewell for IND??????

that way Braces gets his spin to play with, and NZL gets Wright's attitude re batting performances................I don't think he'd have much chop / tolerance on the NZL penchant for batting collapses...............

Sehwag309

Banned
Things might change after Ind/Pak series, if India really does well..Johnny Might think differently, else the masses would want change as well

masterblaster

International Captain
anzac said:

that way Braces gets his spin to play with, and NZL gets Wright's attitude re batting performances................I don't think he'd have much chop / tolerance on the NZL penchant for batting collapses...............
I wouldn't mind seeing that actually. If even sadly John has to depart and go home (which is completely understandable by the way), I wouldn't mind the coaches swapping. I can see Bracewell improving India's bowling outfit.

It'll be sad to see John go though. :(

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
It will be sad to see him go, but the guy might be tired of all the travelling and might wanna spend some time with his family, without having to think about cricket.

cbuts

International Debutant
john wright was akiwi, so what does it matter that he is aussie. doesnt he alredy do alot of work in india?

masterblaster

International Captain
vandemataram said:
Bring in Steven Waugh, a champion player like Waugh would transform India into a force that might match Aus team
This is coming from an Indian fan, but mate, India will take an awful long time to become a force that matches Australia.

To think India will become the best ever side in the world is laughable.

The politics, the Indian culture, the facilities of Indian Cricket and the socio-cultural status compared with Australia is like comparing chalk and cheese.

Steve Waugh, Geoff Marsh, John Buchanan, bring in anyone, they might boost India's ranking to second or third, but India cannot become the best team in the world with so many things going against it.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
vandemataram said:
Bring in Steven Waugh, a champion player like Waugh would transform India into a force that might match Aus team
But not because he was a champion player.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
masterblaster said:
anzac said:

I wouldn't mind seeing that actually. If even sadly John has to depart and go home (which is completely understandable by the way), I wouldn't mind the coaches swapping. I can see Bracewell improving India's bowling outfit.

It'll be sad to see John go though. :(
I agree with you two, a swap would quite conceivably work very well for both teams.
It's remarkable, really - there's speculation Duncan Fletcher could be leaving after this Ashes (and personally I hope and pray he won't); that John Buchanan could leave Australia at the same time; and of course Ray Jennings' South African contract is only a short-term one.
There's been enough speculation to last a lifetime about certain of those being approached for possible vacant jobs left by others.
I'd be amazing if Tom Moody or Stephen Waugh did get one of the jobs - suddenly we might see Duncan Fletcher of South Africa, Tom Moody of Australia, John Buchanan of England, John Wright of New Zealand and John Bracewell of India!!!!!!
I doubt it (and like I say, with Duncan Fletcher I really hope against it) but wouldn't that be unprecedented - a total reshuffle of World coaches!!!

masterblaster said:
This is coming from an Indian fan, but mate, India will take an awful long time to become a force that matches Australia.

Cut it down to 2 years. In 2 years Australia would probably lose McGrath and Warney, and at the same time India would have a bowling attack which woulkd have the best pace duo in world in Zaheer Khan and Irfan Khan Pathan(i,e 2 yrs from now).

The batting of both the team is solid, Australia has an edge only coz of better openers though. Its the bowling that gives Australia the advantage but that will change in two yeras, and i won't be surprise to see India competing with the champs by that time.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
GladiatrsInBlue said:
Cut it down to 2 years. In 2 years Australia would probably lose McGrath and Warney
People thought that in 1999. :)
I'd not be in the slightest surprised to see both still playing in 2007.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
GladiatrsInBlue said:
Cut it down to 2 years. In 2 years Australia would probably lose McGrath and Warney, and at the same time India would have a bowling attack which woulkd have the best pace duo in world in Zaheer Khan and Irfan Khan Pathan(i,e 2 yrs from now).
So how many other bowlers will be retiring for that to happen then?

shoot_me

School Boy/Girl Captain
It's only natural for a man to get tired after four years of being stalked by the media and so far away from his family but I'm really gonna miss Wright. It's been nice for india being one of the lucky teams to have a softspoken coach who does the job with dedication without making headlines with stupid comments. On the bright side, it's always nice to have a change every now and then. As a replacement it'd be great to have someone like Boycott or Greg Chappell- but then I have to remember that this aint paradise.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
India should go for an Aussie coach and if Wright departs, my personal opinion is they can do better with Dav Whatmore who is worth his weight in Gold for any team.

or else Geoff Marsh or Steve Rixon are others who are brilliant coaches who can raise the standard of this Indian Team to the level of World Cup winners in the next 2 years.