• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Brett Lee - Protected Species?

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Richard said:
Bowlers bowl with bent knees ATT - people criticise them for it often, because it means you miss-out on a bit of height and perfect balance.
Cant believe Im saying this but Richard is correct.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Scallywag said:
Which bowlers?.
The example I always think of is Dominic Cork, whose knee was so horribly bent in 2001 that he lost the swing.
But bowlers do it all the time - you probably haven't noticed it in Australia, because all your bowlers optimise themselves by bowling with straight knees.
But people bowl with bent knees all the time - just look around.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
social said:
He bends and straightens his arm ie he chucks

I know the response will be that "scientific evidence concludes that everyone else does as well", however there is no doubt that he obtains an unfair advantage via his action.
Why? He doesn't straighten it more or less than some others.
Murali's great advantage is his wrist, and his amazing ability to bowl accurately.
If you dont believe me, try another exercise: - take any ball (doesnt have to be cricket could be golf, table tennis, etc) and using a only your fingers whilst your arm remains straight, impart spin on the ball.

Now compare that spin with the amount that can be imparted with a throwing action - there is simply no comparison.
You might be onto something if Murali wasn't a wristspinner.

John the Bookie

Cricket Spectator
Richard said:
His elbow isn't double-jointed, it's just the opposite - it can't be straightened fully.
Similarly, if Murali doesn't straighten his arm at all, I'll eat the Earth. But given that everyone else does, it's not fair to victimise him just because his looks more exaggerated than others' due to the optical-illusions created by his disfigured elbow.
Sorry I stuffed up. His elbow is not double jointed. I think I'm confusing this double jointed thing with something else. He does straighten his arm but it is not clearly visible and is just as much as any other bowler.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
You're probably confusing the double-joint with the double-jointed wrist he's got - which is what makes him such an incredibly good bowler (along with his accuracy).
It's quite an amazing coincidence of misfortune that those two defects (one hugely beneficial, one causing so many problems) should happen to the same body.

Scallywag

Banned
Richard said:
The example I always think of is Dominic Cork, whose knee was so horribly bent in 2001 that he lost the swing.
But bowlers do it all the time - you probably haven't noticed it in Australia, because all your bowlers optimise themselves by bowling with straight knees.
But people bowl with bent knees all the time - just look around.
I have more of a problem understanding how a fast bowler can pivot on a bent knee while transfering all his momentum forward.

John the Bookie

Cricket Spectator
Richard said:
You're probably confusing the double-joint with the double-jointed wrist he's got - which is what makes him such an incredibly good bowler (along with his accuracy).
It's quite an amazing coincidence of misfortune that those two defects (one hugely beneficial, one causing so many problems) should happen to the same body.
Thanks

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Scallywag said:
I have more of a problem understanding how a fast bowler can pivot on a bent knee while transfering all his momentum forward.
And you know - I've thought exactly the same thing. Like I say, I felt like I was going to collapse when I tried deliberately bending the knee during bowling... but there's no denying bowlers do it more often than not, and it's amazing, because it really is a waste of a bit of height and it means you're slightly less balanced than you could be.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Top_Cat said:
I HOPE it was purely accidental because if not, Lee should be banned from playing all cricket for 6 months.
Sorry to go all the way back here, but if it was IMO he should be banned for a lot longer than that.

Slow Love™

International Captain
Richard said:
Except that the ideals by which he chucks have now been proven FALSE AS A SLUT!!!!!!
I can't believe more people didn't laugh at this - it's just so out of character and I keep imagining Richard completely off his face and shouting at Adrian Edmondson at some off-license somewhere.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
The Murali issue annoys me like practically no other.
Especially nowadays.

The off-licence was probably the one I work at, BTW.