• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Biggest cricket moment when you've been at the ground

Marius

International Debutant
I would have to say the biggest/most historic moments that I've seen when I have actually been at the ground are:
1. Mike Atherton's 185* at the Wanderers in 1995/1996
2. Jack Russel's 11th catch to break the world record in the same game
3. Hansie Cronje's 50 off 31 balls against SL in 1998 at Centurion, when Hansie took Murali apart to belt SA to a six-wicket win after being in trouble at 100 odd for three, chasing about 250
4. Adam Gilchrist's 200 (at the time the quickest double century ever) at the Wanderers in 2002
That's about it I think. How about you guys...

Slats4ever

International Vice-Captain
Steve's four off the last ball. i don't reckon it was that good but the tabloids do...

i'm a member of the SCG so i kinda get to a lot of games...

Barney Rubble

International Coach
I'm only 17 and haven't had the chance to get to many games, but I was at Lord's last year for both Brian Lara's last innings at Lord's, and Michael Vaughan's second hundred of the match. Special moments, especially the ovation Lara got.

Saw Gibbs' 183 at the Oval in '03 too - not a particularly special moment, but an awesome innings.

twctopcat

International Regular
Was at the oval in '03 on the final day when it was Stewart's final test match and he got carried on a lap of honour, pretty special. Watching bickers tear through the saffies was pretty good as well. :D

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Third day of Lord's test against Aus in 2001, when England broke the record for the number of dropped catches in a session. Gilchrist was the main beneficiary, so it was all very entertaining though.

Last edited:

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Have only been to three International games - one stands head and shoulders above.

Fifth Day, First Test, England v New Zealand, Lord's, 2004

Nasser's farewell hundred

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
wpdavid said:
Third day of Lord's test against Aus in 2001, when England broke the record for the number of dropped catches in a session. Gilchrist was the main beneficiary, so it was all very entertaining though.
Not under any circumstances can that session - those two Test-matches, indeed - be described as anything other than dilapidated.
Terrible batting from Gilchrist and the rest, even worse fielding from England - some of the worst cricket ever, and something I hope to God I never, ever see again, especially in an Ashes.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Marius said:
I would have to say the biggest/most historic moments that I've seen when I have actually been at the ground are:
1. Mike Atherton's 185* at the Wanderers in 1995/1996
2. Jack Russel's 11th catch to break the world record in the same game
3. Hansie Cronje's 50 off 31 balls against SL in 1998 at Centurion, when Hansie took Murali apart to belt SA to a six-wicket win after being in trouble at 100 odd for three, chasing about 250
4. Adam Gilchrist's 200 (at the time the quickest double century ever) at the Wanderers in 2002
That's about it I think. How about you guys...
Hmm... in my 2 days attendance at Test-cricket, the biggest moments were...
Graeme Hick seemingly ascertaining his Ashes tour with a final-Test-of-summer century against Sri Lanka, and,
Andrew Flintoff overstepping the crease, and probably costing the Test-match because the ball would have got Gary Kirsten out had it been legit. And Kirsten played the decisive innings of the match - then another one in the second-innings.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Wow, you've had some good cricket watching Marius!

Mine

1) Elliot's demolition of Somerset in the 2002 (?) C&G final at Lords
2) Allan Donald bowling at Old Trafford on the final day of the 1998 test match... Guess what I was doing when he was bowling at Fraser and Croft in the amazing last stand? I was next to the airport runway oogling at the planes coming in :@, listening on the radio..

My only other day of test cricket was watching the rain come down at Trent Bridge against the Zimbos.. Nearly got killed when a lorry overturned coming towards us and forced us into a ditch.. Decided to watch tests on the TV, less risky :)
Being a Somerset fan, I haven't watched much quality live cricket.. Im more interested in the photos I capture anyway

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Neil Pickup said:
Have only been to three International games - one stands head and shoulders above.

Fifth Day, First Test, England v New Zealand, Lord's, 2004

Nasser's farewell hundred
I was at that game too; third day for me tho. Very sunny for May & I got quite badly burnt, despite the factor 15! :@

I guess (grudgingly) its Murali's 16 wickets @ The Oval in 98 for me. 8-)

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Mine's a non-international match but very special to a SA fan such as myself.

I was at the ground in 1996 when SA won it's first Sheffield Shield in 15 years with Peter McIntyre and Shane George (last-wicket pair) held on for an hour to draw the match but win the Shield for SA. It was an amazing moment watchign 15000 people run onto the ground.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Anyone see Astle's Double against England at Jade Stadium .....That would hace been something to see live !!

Linda

International Vice-Captain
Marto's hundred last year was personally pretty spesh for me. I was speechless, lol.

mavric41

State Vice-Captain
Queensland winning the Sheffield Shield for the first time. Went to four days of the match - it was magical.