• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Biggest cricket moment when you've been at the ground

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
1. shane warne's hatrick, vs england 1994/95 at the MCG
2. anthony stuarts hatrick 1996/97 at the MCG
3. australia vs australia a final in 1994/95 at the MCG
4. mark waugh's 130 vs sri lanka at the WACA
5. 2nd day of the boxing day test vs india in 2003 at the MCG
6. justin langer's 250 vs england boxing day 2002 at the MCG

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
James90 said:
Day 1 of the Ashes Series 2003 - Hayden and Ponting's hundred, Simon Jones' injury, never forget it
The good (Ponting), the bad (Hayden being dropped 3 times and let-off when Jones carried it over the boundary) and the ugly (Jones' horrible injury) all in one.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
twctopcat said:
Really wasn't any need for that comment in the context of the thread.
Hmm - I'd dispute that Sehwag's innings was what Jono labelled it as.
Simple as.
I really don't think you can use the thread-title as a leitmotif.

twctopcat

International Regular
Richard said:
Simple as.
Well it was one of Jono's biggest moments, drop or no drop. This wasn't supposed to be a debating thread merely one to list the big cricketing moments members here have seen first hand.

PY

International Coach
Richard said:
A big dropped catch, certainly.
Kallis and Kirsten grinding out a double century partnership at OT in '98 (I think) is the only day of Test cricket I've seen.

Hoping to catch more this summer as we travel the country in search of those 5th day bargains. :D
(How they expect us to afford £45 a day I'll never know and I got quoted £150 for a day on one website.:wacko:)

Best ODI thing was Freddie scoring fastest ODI fifty by an Englishman while drunk on free Strongbow and munching on free chicken wings from the Hooters girls. :cool2:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Richard said:
So amazing, and so wouldn't-have-happened-if-Simon-Katich-could-catch.
I enjoyed that moment, as I was at the ground and found it an amazing knock, and your little stupid petty posts aren't going to change that.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
PY said:
Kallis and Kirsten grinding out a double century partnership at OT in '98 (I think) is the only day of Test cricket I've seen.

Hoping to catch more this summer as we travel the country in search of those 5th day bargains. :D
(How they expect us to afford £45 a day I'll never know and I got quoted £150 for a day on one website.:wacko:)

Best ODI thing was Freddie scoring fastest ODI fifty by an Englishman while drunk on free Strongbow and munching on free chicken wings from the Hooters girls. :cool2:
Edgbaston, 2002, vs Sri Lanka, day\night game.
Yeah, the Kirsten\Kallis axis at Old Trafford was indeed in 1998, I remember it very well. Not a hugely exciting innings, but very good batting. Until Gough bowled Kallis with an absolute pearler.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Jono said:
I enjoyed that moment, as I was at the ground and found it an amazing knock, and your little stupid petty posts aren't going to change that.
And your stupid I'll-stick-to-my-guns attitude isn't going to change the fact that offering a simple chance on 47 means that anything that happens after that isn't a great knock.

twctopcat

International Regular
Richard said:
And your stupid I'll-stick-to-my-guns attitude isn't going to change the fact that offering a simple chance on 47 means that anything that happens after that isn't a great knock.
Even if the shots played were?? :wacko:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Richard said:
That's so rich coming from you.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
twctopcat said:
Even if the shots played were?? :wacko:
Tell me - would the shots have been played if the catch had been taken?
Would you not expect such a ridiculously easy catch to have been taken?

twctopcat

International Regular
Richard said:
Tell me - would the shots have been played if the catch had been taken?

Would you not expect such a ridiculously easy catch to have been taken?
Well the shots were still good no?? Whether it should have been caught is irrelevant, because by god it wasn't, but lets not go down that route.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Whether it was caught is not irrelevant - that it was given is all that's relevant - because we are talking about the batsman's ability, not the fielder's.
Yes, the shots were still good - but what's the good in being able to play good shots if you get yourself out before being able to play them?

Swervy

International Captain
Richard said:
Whether it was caught is not irrelevant - that it was given is all that's relevant - because we are talking about the batsman's ability, not the fielder's.
Yes, the shots were still good - but what's the good in being able to play good shots if you get yourself out before being able to play them?
heheheh..the point is he didnt get out. Jono stated that that innings was a big moment for him whilst watching...doesnt reflect on his ability as a player or anything, just that it was a great innings to watch.

And what about the 150 runs after the chance?????He still had the ability to score those runs anyway!!!!

Richard.you need to start looking at what other people enjoy in the game.Its not all about averages or whatever, its about getting stuck in there out in the middle,and the people watching enjoying it.

Ian Bothams 118 at Old Trafford in 81...I seem to remember him giving the odd chance (Mike Whitney dropped a steepler I think before Botham had scored 50)....it was still one of the great innings and if you tried telling anyone who watched it at the ground or on TV any different, you would probably get a swift poke in the eyeball.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
PY said:
That doesn't really say a lot. I'm sure he must have been the only Englishman who has scored a fifty while being drunk on free Strongbow and munching on free chicken wings from the Hooters girls.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Richard said:
Simple as.
You unimpressed with Lara's 501 then Richard?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Samuel_Vimes said:
That doesn't really say a lot. I'm sure he must have been the only Englishman who has scored a fifty while being drunk on free Strongbow and munching on free chicken wings from the Hooters girls.
:laugh:

Very true; Beefy was more of a lager drinker & I know for a fact Lamby preferred pork pies to chicken wings! :D