• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Biggest cricket moment when you've been at the ground

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Swervy said:
I agree with you on this...however we still have the problem that one mans chance is another mans half chance is another mans no chance.
Yet another person to say it, who will no doubt be told that they're wrong by Richard.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
But what was the need to bring it up?

I bet you're the sort of person who likes to trip up small children who are running around having fun.
No.
That'd just be barbaric.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
Yet another person to say it, who will no doubt be told that they're wrong by Richard.
I've pointed-out why any objections are wrong many times - but often people won't accept it, there always has to be another problem.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
Yes, growing.

A point I brought up a while ago and you dismissed because you felt you knew more about these people than they themselves did.
Really?
The only people to keep going on about it are yourself, SOC whenever he's here and Swervy on the relatively rare occasion he can be bothered. Rich very occasionally dabbles in, too.
Plus the odd person here and there.
Yet lots of people accept the merits of it.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Richard said:
I've pointed-out why any objections are wrong many times - but often people won't accept it, there always has to be another problem.
No, people don't accept it because your reasoning is flawed.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Richard said:
Really?
The only people to keep going on about it are yourself, SOC whenever he's here and Swervy on the relatively rare occasion he can be bothered. Rich very occasionally dabbles in, too.
Plus the odd person here and there.
Yet lots of people accept the merits of it.
People who ignore your posts are now deemed as accepting it are they?

Maybe what it is that they're accepting that you're such a stubborn and arrogant person that you won't listen to logic or common sense because you think you know more than everyone else.

Vroomfondel

U19 12th Man
Richard, how do you quantify a chance?

dropped catch?

--what about a mi**** that was in the air with no fielder under it ?(captain's fault right? should've been a fielder there)
--what about all the runs scored off edges (they weren't intended, right? should they be subtracted from a total?)
--an edge that goes between keeper and slips, or slips and gully?
--inside edge that came really close to hitting the stumps?
-- what is a catch that should have been caught? if a batsman slashes hard outside off, knowing full well that there's a chance of an edge but counting on the fact that it'll go hard to the slips, or over the slips...what then? a hard edge dropped by the slips would then be a calculated risk, just like stepping down the track to a spinner?

-- what about when a batsman is given out when he isn't? do we consider him 'not out'?
-- what about when a fielder pulls off a blinder of a catch, one that "shouldn't" have been caught, just like there are catches that "should have been" caught...what then?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
People who ignore your posts are now deemed as accepting it are they?

Maybe what it is that they're accepting that you're such a stubborn and arrogant person that you won't listen to logic or common sense because you think you know more than everyone else.
No, I just won't listen to illogical dismissals because they're only done because people don't like convention being broken.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Vroomfondel said:
Richard, how do you quantify a chance?

dropped catch?
Yes.
--what about a mi**** that was in the air with no fielder under it ?(captain's fault right? should've been a fielder there)
No fielder there - batsman knows there is no fielder there - hasn't given a chance to get him out.
--what about all the runs scored off edges (they weren't intended, right? should they be subtracted from a total?)
No, that gets far too complicated - edges are part of the game, as are bad deliveries that are missed.
--an edge that goes between keeper and slips, or slips and gully?
Didn't give a chance.
--inside edge that came really close to hitting the stumps?
Didn't hit the stumps.
-- what is a catch that should have been caught? if a batsman slashes hard outside off, knowing full well that there's a chance of an edge but counting on the fact that it'll go hard to the slips, or over the slips...what then? a hard edge dropped by the slips would then be a calculated risk, just like stepping down the track to a spinner?
It's pretty obvious what could have been caught and what couldn't.
If it went over the slips it obviously couldn't have been caught.
If it hit a finger it obviously couldn't be caught.
If it hit a hand, hard, it obviously could have been - that's what slips are for.
-- what about when a batsman is given out when he isn't? do we consider him 'not out'?
Yes.
-- what about when a fielder pulls off a blinder of a catch, one that "shouldn't" have been caught, just like there are catches that "should have been" caught...what then?
Blinders happen. So do RUDs.
They're so rare that things which simply had no right to be out really don't have any undue effect.
That's what taking averages in context is all about.
What's not fair is saying "he conquered really difficult conditions" then saying "you need luck in those conditions" - it's total hypocrisy.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Most of your explanations are okay, Rich, but I think a 'blinder' should not be considered a dismissal, if you were to consider dropped catches to be dismissals, as blinders, by defn., are catches which are not expected to be caught.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Richard said:
No, I just won't listen to illogical dismissals because they're only done because people don't like convention being broken.
So the flaws that quite a few people are pointing out are all illogical, yet the thing they're talking about isn't?

Dydl

International Debutant
My biggest cricket moment when at the ground would have to be when Steve Waugh hit that four off the last ball at the SCG against England! I know someone who went to the day before Waugh came in and after Waugh was out! Sad. :dry:

I also would have another big cricketing moment-when Steve Waugh was caught by Sachin Tendulkar in his last test before retiring at the SCG. The atmosphere was just amazing for both of them!!

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
honestbharani said:
Most of your explanations are okay, Rich, but I think a 'blinder' should not be considered a dismissal, if you were to consider dropped catches to be dismissals, as blinders, by defn., are catches which are not expected to be caught.
I'd love to, but the trouble is it's just so difficult to define.
Obviously if something hits a close-fielder and flies up and happens to be caught that certainly doesn't count, but apart from that it's so hard to say something certainly shouldn't have been out.
I mean, just watch Croft c Rhodes, Edgbaston, 1998 (ODI) - there's no way Rhodes had a right to catch that - but because he's Jonty Rhodes he did. And everyone knew he was fielding there, so...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
So the flaws that quite a few people are pointing out are all illogical, yet the thing they're talking about isn't?
Yep - it's ridiculous to use some of the tactics you and Swervy have used as far as I'm concerned. They're totally illogical.
And surely even you can see that the basic concept is not illogical at all, even if there are grey areas?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Richard said:
Yep - it's ridiculous to use some of the tactics you and Swervy have used as far as I'm concerned. They're totally illogical.
What is illogical about the inconsistency of what is a chance?

Swervy

International Captain
Richard said:
And surely even you can see that the basic concept is not illogical at all, even if there are grey areas?
what tactics have I used..I dont use tactics, I just say it how I see it.

Tactical posting??? actually I might try it

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
What is illogical about the inconsistency of what is a chance?
The fact that you go on as if it's an everyday occurrance and in fact it's a once-in-a-blue-moon occurrance.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Swervy said:
what tactics have I used..I dont use tactics, I just say it how I see it.

Tactical posting??? actually I might try it
Tactics you use, whether thinking it through or not.