• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Fielding side rankings ODI"s ??

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
1) Australia
2) NZ
3) South Africa
4) England
5) West Indies

I'm not really sure who are the best of the subcontinent teams be can appreciate they are used to more unforgiving outfields particularly when young.

dudeurfriend

School Boy/Girl Captain
Well folks my fielding ratings are
1) Australia and South Africa
2) NZ
4) England
5)Bangladesh
6) West Indies

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
1. Australia - no explanation necessary.
2. Kenya - you don't get to the WC semis with a tail starting at 5 and enough pies to open a bakery.
3. New Zealand - their dogfighting spirit spreads to the field.
4. England - can credit a large part of their resurgence to their fielding.
5. South Africa - acknowledging Jonty's example.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
dudeurfriend said:
Well folks my fielding ratings are
1) Australia and South Africa
2) NZ
4) England
5)Bangladesh
6) West Indies
There's no way S.Africa are as sharp as NZ in the field these days....definately in the 90s they were much better than NZ, but not anymore.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
zinzan12 said:
1) Australia
2) NZ
3) South Africa
4) England
5) West Indies

I'm not really sure who are the best of the subcontinent teams be can appreciate they are used to more unforgiving outfields particularly when young.
I tend to agree with the order Zinzan has placed the top five sides in, they're definately the best five regardless of the order anyway.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
NZ have always been good in the field, it keeps us in alot of the matches we play.
The only other team I can think of whose fast bowlers are also excellent fieldsmen are Australia.

garage flower

State Vice-Captain
Surely India should be right up there. In Kaif and Yuvraj they have two of the best fielders in the world, Dravid is an excellent slip and Tendulkar is a very good all-round fielder. The only glaring liability is, of course, the captain.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
James90 said:
1. Australia
2. New Zealand
3. South Africa
4. Bangladesh
5. England
England? Robert Key is immobile, Graham Thorpe is slow, Geraint Jones is their version of Rahul Dravid, Trescothick and Giles are not the quickest, Harmison is a weak link in the outfield and the less said of Butcher the better. Vaughan has dropped a few sitters. The only good fielders they have are Strauss and Flintoff. Their one-day side is better on the field, with Collingwood, Pietersen and Solanki being more effective, while Chris Read's omission was unfortunate.
Samuel_Vimes said:
West Indies fielding is shabby. Too disorganised, like most of WI cricket at the moment...
They are a very good fielding side, but very inconsistent. They too have a few weak links.
Surely India should be right up there. In Kaif and Yuvraj they have two of the best fielders in the world, Dravid is an excellent slip and Tendulkar is a very good all-round fielder. The only glaring liability is, of course, the captain.
Unfortunately for them, their fielding form is often linked to their batting or bowling. When they were getting rolled over for totals of less than 150 in NZ, Yuvraj dropped one in Christchurch. Dravid is an excellent slip fielder, but he's terrible behind the stumps. Sehwag and Balaji are good, but inconsistent. Kumble and Zaheer are not naturally talented fielders but now put in a lot more effort. Dinesh Mongia's fielding is over-rated, since it is of little use. Laxman is a terrific slip-fielder, which can get early wickets. Ganguly is definitely the weakest link on the field, and he's no good anywhere- yet, he's the captain!

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Arjun said:
England? Robert Key is immobile, Graham Thorpe is slow, Geraint Jones is their version of Rahul Dravid, Trescothick and Giles are not the quickest, Harmison is a weak link in the outfield and the less said of Butcher the better. Vaughan has dropped a few sitters.
Good job Thorpe, Key and Butcher don't play ODIs, then, eh? ;)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
zinzan12 said:
1) Australia
2) NZ
3) South Africa
4) England
5) West Indies

It truly is incredible that everyone, just about, ranks Australia top. The one thing they can't do very well ATM is field. It's quite astonishing that they can become so poor in the field and, literally, no-one notices.
New Zealand and South Africa are far, far better, and England and Sri Lanka are probably as good.
No-one can be as poor as India, West Indies and Pakistan, and Bangladesh and Zimbabwe shouldn't even be playing regular ODIs. Kenya aren't, so they don't count.

Richard,

India is a great side you nong. What are you talking about. Are you commenting on world cricket or the annual American World Hot Dog Eating Championships? If you are considering the latter, then Japan leads the way. Please do some research.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
No, I'm commenting on cricket, something you might like to wise yourself up on before calling India a great ODI side.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Richard said:
It truly is incredible that everyone, just about, ranks Australia top. The one thing they can't do very well ATM is field. It's quite astonishing that they can become so poor in the field and, literally, no-one notices.
New Zealand and South Africa are far, far better, and England and Sri Lanka are probably as good.
No-one can be as poor as India, West Indies and Pakistan, and Bangladesh and Zimbabwe shouldn't even be playing regular ODIs. Kenya aren't, so they don't count.
Although I wouldn't go to his extremes, Richard is sort-of right.

With the exception of Clarke, Symonds (who are the 2 best IMO), and Hussey, the Aus fielding standards have deteriorated markedly.

That being said, they are still at least as good as anyone else but can no longer rely on that part of their game to separate themselves from the rest.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
garage flower said:
I was thinking the exact same thing.

Kaif and Yuvraj are obviously talented fielders, and Tendulkar has always been good in the field throughout his whole career. Then you have Laxman in the slips, and Dravid too if he isn't keeping (unfortunately he is always keeping :(). On top of that Pathan is a very atheltic fielder himself, that's a pretty good fielding line-up. The problem is when you play guys like Nehra, and with Ganguly, Zaheer and Kumble already poor fielders, the shocking fielders stand-out so much the good fielders are overshadowed. Its for that reason India aren't in the top 5 in the field, but they're not as bad as people make them out to be.

1) NZ
2) Aust
3) SA
4) England
5) WI/SL?