• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best ODI bowlers

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
McGrath, Vettori, Kumble, Vaas.....basically everyone who's been said before.

However, I'll take a punt and say Rana Naved-ul-Hasan is the next big thing.........any foreign paceman who troubles Australia at home is all right in my book.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
LongHopCassidy said:
McGrath, Vettori, Kumble, Vaas.....basically everyone who's been said before.
KUMBLE!!!???!!!???
This Kumble?
Kumble has not been a good ODI bowler for a long, long time! (Even this record includes 7-16-1 against the mightly UAE and 10-32-4 against the magnificent Holland)
However, I'll take a punt and say Rana Naved-ul-Hasan is the next big thing.........any foreign paceman who troubles Australia at home is all right in my book.
Next big thing at 27 (will be a week after this post)... hmm.
And troubles Australia at home... would that be by taking 3\145 (at 4.65-an-over) and taking wickets at 35.42 at 5.9-an-over...?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Scallywag said:
McGrath would be the best by far but who makes up the next 5.
Not by far, indeed there's very little to separate him and Pollock, if anything.
McGrath, Pollock and Murali are in a class of their own; Gillespie and Flintoff are a bit behind; Harbhajan Singh and Saqlain Mushtaq are a bit behind again; Ian Bradshaw had a very poor VB Series but he was going really well before then; Gough bowled much better in South Africa than he did in the last 2 games of the summer; Oram's getting better; Vaas on his day is unparalleled; Shoaib is one of a few who comes close; Ntini's been horrible recently but he was really good before that, Kasprowicz is the exact opposite as you can see; and even the seemingly innocuous Martin Suji can be far more of a handful than most would think.
But the standard of the rest is deplorable ATM, and I hope it perks-up sharpish.

SpeedKing

U19 Vice-Captain
How come you people are not rating Afridi as a top spinner. You get the feeling with him that he has turned the corner [as a bowler anyway] after his perfomances in the VB series.

IMO, the top pacers are

McGrath
Pollock
Vaas
Flintoff
Gillespie

Spinners

Muralitharan
Vettori
Harbhajan Singh
Afridi

Honorary mention to Giles, Rafique and Hogg

SpeedKing

U19 Vice-Captain
dudeurfriend said:
Oops you may be right.....
Rana naveed is a very undreated bowler....
He is a good future prospect.......
i agree with you on that as well, he is greatly underrated and i have never really seen him bowl poorly.

There was that smashing he got from Gilchrist but what could you say, Gilchrist in that mood and his timing as impeccable as it was could have easily destroyed McGrath. [remember that first delivery of the Second final]

As far as i am concerned, Kaneira has not yet really set the ODI world alight with his bowling so found his mention ATM abit dodgy

Bookie

U19 12th Man
dudeurfriend said:
.....Kaneria
With his mighty experience of 10 games taking 9 wickets at an average of 42.44, why not?

dudeurfriend said:
Oops you may be right.....
Rana naveed is a very undreated bowler....
He is a good future prospect.......
27 years old, big future, especially considering hes a ****....

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Tom Halsey said:
Who is mysteriously retired.
Not that mysterious, really - his best option from now on IMO is to try and play Tests for as long as he can - not like he was ever anything but pretty good in ODIs, certainly not exceptional like Murali, Saqlain and Harbhajan.
He's always been a better Test bowler than ODI, and yet he's still managed to play 194 ODIs - not exactly a career to look back on with shame.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Richard said:
Not that mysterious, really - his best option from now on IMO is to try and play Tests for as long as he can - not like he was ever anything but pretty good in ODIs, certainly not exceptional like Murali, Saqlain and Harbhajan.
He's always been a better Test bowler than ODI, and yet he's still managed to play 194 ODIs - not exactly a career to look back on with shame.
Richard, Richard, Richard .....

The 2 greatest spiners in any form of the game are Warne and Murali.

I, personally, cant stand either of them as they should both have been banned for life (Warne for gambling/drugs and Murali for chucking) but as they both still play, dont talk down their talent.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
social said:
Richard, Richard, Richard .....

The 2 greatest spiners in any form of the game are Warne and Murali.

I, personally, cant stand either of them as they should both have been banned for life (Warne for gambling/drugs and Murali for chucking) but as they both still play, dont talk down their talent.
Despite that Murali has been proven not to chuck 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)
Saqlain and Harbhajan are both better ODI bowlers than Warne.
Good Test bowler does not neccesarily = good ODI bowler; equally exceptional Test bowler doesn't neccessarily = exceptional ODI bowler.
In Murali's case, it does - in Warne's, it doesn't.
Warne was nothing other than pretty good in ODIs.

a massive zebra

International Captain
Richard said:
Saqlain and Harbhajan are both better ODI bowlers than Warne.
8-)

I hate Warne with a passion and believe his abilities have been blown far out of proportion by an ill-informed, biased, over patriotic media. Even I, however, would admit that he is clearly a much better bowler than the Indian, who struggles outside of the subcontinent. If Harbhajan Singh was English he would have been called Harbour John Smith and had far less success.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Err... eh?
In Asia Harbhajan has an economy-rate of 4.25-an-over; outside Asia it's 3.87-an-over. It's actually worst of all at home (4.6-an-over) - mainly due to two dire series against Australia (2000\01) and West Indies (2002\03).
Harbhajan most certainly is not a familiar-track bully.

a massive zebra

International Captain
Richard said:
Err... eh?
In Asia Harbhajan has an economy-rate of 4.25-an-over; outside Asia it's 3.87-an-over. It's actually worst of all at home (4.6-an-over) - mainly due to two dire series against Australia (2000\01) and West Indies (2002\03).
Harbhajan most certainly is not a familiar-track bully.
Yes you are right, one should never underestimate Harbour John Smith and the Aussie junkie is a very average ODI bowler indeed. Even the almighty Greg Chappell has more 5 wicket hauls in ODIs.