• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New Zealand Crowds Act Up

Linda

International Vice-Captain
The only problem I see is that they dont get punished enough. They hate us, and thats fair enough (theyre not the only ones), but they seem to do it without punishment, whereas other places (including Australia) get life bans and whatnot. I think better punishment would be effective.

Fiery

Banned
Linda said:
The only problem I see is that they dont get punished enough. They hate us, and thats fair enough (theyre not the only ones), but they seem to do it without punishment, whereas other places (including Australia) get life bans and whatnot. I think better punishment would be effective.
We don't hate your country Linda, just your cricket team. :D Mainly cause we love to beat ya so much and it rarely happens. There's always a few idiots at every game. In a tight game between Aus and NZ on a Sat night when the crowds a bit juiced up you're bound to get that sort of thing anywhere in Aus or NZ. Aussie team is best to forget it and move on to the next game. No one got hurt and I'm sure security will be beefed up for the next game. Blame the security, not the crowds.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Its unfortunate that stuff like this happens, and it happens everywhere. I remember being incredibly angry when some Indian fans decided to throw rubbish on the field during the WC 96 semi-final against Sri Lanka. I don't remember the ground. Eden Gardens? Not sure.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Just saw the news and Sports Tonight. What was the deal with McGrath chasing a security guard or something? Apparently the guard was causing trouble as well.

Very weird.

Fiery

Banned
Jono said:
Just saw the news and Sports Tonight. What was the deal with McGrath chasing a security guard or something? Apparently the guard was causing trouble as well.

Very weird.
I think they had an argument. I imagine it went something like this.
McGrath: Can't you do something about this?
Security Guard: Huh.
McGrath: These ****n idiots are throwing things at me!
Security Guard: What can I do about it bro.
McGrath: I don't ****n know. Get some of your mates to come and help you make them stop
Security Guard: Huh

ReallyCrazy

Banned
Jono said:
Its unfortunate that stuff like this happens, and it happens everywhere. I remember being incredibly angry when some Indian fans decided to throw rubbish on the field during the WC 96 semi-final against Sri Lanka. I don't remember the ground. Eden Gardens? Not sure.
HAHAHAHA I loved it when that happened. Yes, it was kinda bad and in retrospect, shouldn't have occured. But at that time I was 12 or 13, and I couldn't help but enjoy the whole thing coz i was so angry at the Indian team.

telsor

U19 12th Man
Fiery said:
In a tight game between Aus and NZ on a Sat night when the crowds a bit juiced up you're bound to get that sort of thing anywhere in Aus or NZ.
Not in Australia it isn't, or at least when anything does happen, it very quickly gets stopped and those misbehaving thrown out of the ground. At the MCG there are lots of police around, especially where the rowdies tend to gather as well as video surveilance, and anything beyond strong language will have them moving in quickly.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Jono said:
It happened plenty in those Ind-WI ODIs in 2002\03.
Happened in Bridgetown in 1998\99 when the crowd even forced them to withdraw a bad appeal against the local boy, Campbell.
Happened all sorts in NWS2001 (though it was mostly Pakistan "fans" at fault).
We've had dumbaesses throwing rubbish up in the air (sometimes gets onto the field) all the time in the last couple of summers - seemingly without the slightest thought of the basic fact that it might actually get onto the playing-area and disturb play.

BlackCap_Fan

State Vice-Captain
He should just stop whining and get on with the cricket. It happens at every ground in the world. I'm pretty sure that it happened to us when we went there for the Chappell Hadlee series.

biased indian

International Coach
Richard said:
It happened plenty in those Ind-WI ODIs in 2002\03.
Happened in Bridgetown in 1998\99 when the crowd even forced them to withdraw a bad appeal against the local boy, Campbell.
Happened all sorts in NWS2001 (though it was mostly Pakistan "fans" at fault).
We've had dumbaesses throwing rubbish up in the air (sometimes gets onto the field) all the time in the last couple of summers - seemingly without the slightest thought of the basic fact that it might actually get onto the playing-area and disturb play.
and thankfuly it has not happend again in india after the WI series

J.Coney

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
in the 80's at the mcg the hadlee chant, "had-leess a waannka" was loud i mean real loud, i don't think there was an aussie in the stadium not singing that. just amagine hadlee having to come back from the bowling crease to hear that, and if he took a wicket it got doubly worse.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Quote of the week came from Gilchrist

"As far as bad-mouthing and personal abuse goes, the crowds here are on a par with anything we have come across, even in South Africa."

Glass houses, stones eh :)

Fiery

Banned
telsor said:
Not in Australia it isn't, or at least when anything does happen, it very quickly gets stopped and those misbehaving thrown out of the ground. At the MCG there are lots of police around, especially where the rowdies tend to gather as well as video surveilance, and anything beyond strong language will have them moving in quickly.
Of course it is. So why did Richardson have to wear a helmet on the boundary in 2002?

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
NZ crowds don't normally act like this. If you review crowd trouble over the years here, you'll find that most matches have involved Australia.

I can tell you now that if Australia didn't like 20,000 Wellingtonians (who does anyway? :) ) then 40,000 at Eden Park is going to be interesting..especially whoever is fielding next to the terraces.

cricket player

International Debutant
Linda said:

who gets life ban by throwing a bottle in the crowd,It is not just new zealanders perhaps,A 3,4,years back so, the australian crowd was drunk and this naked guy ran up to the pakistan batsman and then one of them just slikded towards the stumps and broke the stumps.It is just that people dont like the world champoins neither so I,so dont get mad when you see situations like this because being a world champs and knowing how to react like one :) so linda please dont be mad it wasnt martin after all who got hit :)

MoxPearl

State Vice-Captain
u guys are weird

it was nothing.. the media blew it FAR outta propotion.. on saturday.. it was stupid :/

-Mcgrath was fine... u could see during the game he was having a good time with a crowd.. he even said after the game and in the papers.

-If u had seen what Katich was saying to the crowd im sure u prolly would have thrown stuff at him aswell

It was nothing worse than the stuff that happens all over the world.. who remembers when richardson had to wear a helmet over in aussie ?

Im not saying it was right.. but if Katich abuses the crowd u can expect him to get it back

The media blew it FAR outtta line.. they were just leeching for news.

Also saying nz crowd security is lax is stupid.. i got kicked outta the basin once for throwing a paper dart back at someone who wanted me to throw it back to them when it landed next to me..

Scallywag

Banned
I can see why Ponting is upset, McGrath moved in from his fielding position because the crowd were throwing things at him and then he missed a catch because he was to far in.

Its only a few that cause the problem but it did infringe on the match and could of had a bearing on the outcome of the match.

Fiery

Banned
Scallywag said:
I can see why Ponting is upset, McGrath moved in from his fielding position because the crowd were throwing things at him and then he missed a catch because he was to far in.

Its only a few that cause the problem but it did infringe on the match and could of had a bearing on the outcome of the match.
:yawn: Get over it. You won the game

Bracewell targets disruptive strategy

Cricinfo staff

John Bracewell has accused Australia of stopping the game to disrupt New Zealand's chase when players complained of ugly crowd behaviour during the first one-day international at Wellington. The match was interrupted as fielders were hit by objects thrown from the stands, Glenn McGrath and Simon Katich argued with security guards and Matthew Hayden was spat on while fielding during the 10-run victory.

"I think the tactical awareness as learned from Steve Waugh has been passed on," Bracewell said in The Australian. "It's just a strategy that they often use to try to break up the pattern of the day."

Bracewell said the crowd behaviour was "no different" to what New Zealand received in Australia, but the visiting side has asked for extra security for the remaining four one-day matches and three Tests. "I don't think there was a problem with the amount of security in Saturday night's game," Steve Addison, the New Zealand Cricket spokesman, said. "It's just that they should probably have been more pro-active."

Hayden said the crowd behaviour was disappointing but the team expected it. "I got spat on, and I don't think that's the right behaviour," he said. "It's not necessary, we come over here to play entertaining cricket, not to be spat on or have cans thrown at us or whatever the crowd want to do." Hayden said New Zealand, South Africa and Sydney, where he was abused playing for Queensland and booed during the VB Series, were the worst places to play.

Australian fielders have attracted many unusual items while playing in New Zealand. Greg Matthews had a toilet seat hurled at him in 1986-87, a sauce bottle was pelted at Stuart Law and Michael Bevan was hit by a fish. Plastic beer bottles were the main offenders on Saturday.

© Cricinfo

Last edited:

meatspx

U19 Cricketer
Scallywag said:

BS! You could clearly see McGrath moving/running into the field once Marshall had hit the ball. He was RUNNING INTO TAKE THE CATCH - the crowd didn't force him to do this.

It was quite clealy a case of McGrath misjudging the ball....y'know, he's human after all.