Cricket Player Manager
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Mark Waugh complains of Queensland 'bias'

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Mister Wright's Avatar
    Burger Time Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by howardj
    Couldn't agree more - he is so honest. Least he doesn't mind offending the odd person. Unlike most other former players who dribble out the same platitudes - summer after summer - with no insight or criticism. Lest they dare criticise the Aussies, and risk being excluded from the brotherhood. Furthermore, it's hard to argue with his three examples. Whether it's 'bias' though, is another question.
    Just because you're in love with Mark Waugh does not mean that what he has to say makes sense.
    Cricketweb Colts Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    Hayden > Lehmann
    I'm a member of Club Kerry

I'm Green

The color of immortality, nature and envy - you are truly a unique person. While clearly the color of nature, you also symbolize rebirth, fertility and hope in the world. On the other side of the spectrum, a natural aptitude to money with green coming to signify money and possibly even *********!

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by age_master
    lol have a look at brett lee and tell me he should not be in the team? hes been bowling superbly of late
    So he's been bowling better than anyone else available?
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Wright
    Mark Waugh should have a look at the records of the state teams over the last decade. Queensland have made the last 6 domestic first class finals and did win 4 of those in a row. Given that, they should have more candidates available for selection than other states due to their consistency.
    Successful domestic side doesn't neccesarily = large number of intl candidates.
    For one thing, the side with the most internationals (eg NSW) is likely to be less successful than might be expected due to lots of absences.
    The unlukiest player IMO is Jimmy Maher.
    Really, so by averaging 25.76 in 20 ODI innings you're unlucky to be dropped?

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Mister Wright's Avatar
    Burger Time Champion!
    Successful domestic side doesn't neccesarily = large number of intl candidates.
    For one thing, the side with the most internationals (eg NSW) is likely to be less successful than might be expected due to lots of absences.
    Like I said, I'm not claiming that all 11-12 players from Queensland are good enough to play at International level, just 4 or 5.

Really, so by averaging 25.76 in 20 ODI innings you're unlucky to be dropped?
    If you look at his record in the top 3 it is very good. Maher has never consistently been selected for Australia, and therefore has never found any rythum on tour. He has had to bat down the order, and has done quite well on occasions, but in reality he is a top order batsman. Given a consistent go for Australia in the top order, I have no doubt that record will improve. He has been Australia's best domestic One Day batsman for the last 3-4 years, he deserves another go.

Err - because Maher's a proven failure, Qlander or WAn, and Hussey has barely had a chance before now?
    I think his point was that if it was a Queensland bias, Maher WOULD have been picked.

No?
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick once and you suck forever...

RIP Fardin Qayyumi, a true legend of CW

Quote Originally Posted by Boobidy View Post
    Bradman never had to face quicks like Sharma and Irfan Pathan. He wouldn't of lasted a ball against those 2, not to mention a spinner like Sehwag.

Quote Originally Posted by Craig
    I think his point was that if it was a Queensland bias, Maher WOULD have been picked.

No?
    Thanks Craig. thats the point I was trying to get across.
    Only two states to be in - Queensland and drunk.

Yeah, I understand that - but the point I was making was that, Qlander or wherever, surely his record is a sufficient deterrant to picking him, and a WAn with far less ODIs to his name was so much a better choice that even Qland bias couldn't sway it.
    See?

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Wright
    Like I said, I'm not claiming that all 11-12 players from Queensland are good enough to play at International level, just 4 or 5.
    Yeah - but that won't manifest itself in Queensland being successful, it'll come from Queenslanders having good averages.
    If you look at his record in the top 3 it is very good. Maher has never consistently been selected for Australia, and therefore has never found any rythum on tour. He has had to bat down the order, and has done quite well on occasions, but in reality he is a top order batsman. Given a consistent go for Australia in the top order, I have no doubt that record will improve. He has been Australia's best domestic One Day batsman for the last 3-4 years, he deserves another go.
    Hmm - I can understand about the never given a consistent run bit - but the batting-order...
    Maher's an opener, and 11 out of his 20 ODI innings have come as an opener - plus 2 more at three. As an opener, he averages 14; at one, two and three combined he averages 19.54. Amazingly, at six he averages 125 (having been dismissed just once in 4 innings); and he's also batted twice at five and, stupidly, once at eight.
    I too rate Maher highly at the domestic level - in Australia and England - but whether he's ODI class I'm not sure.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information