• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Fresh twist in Windies sponsorship wrangle

garage flower

State Vice-Captain
http://caribbeancricket.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=1688

See above link - any thoughts?

Seems to me that, though there may well be some valid questions to be asked about player attitudes, this self-important sounding bloke from Digicel isn't going about it the right way (though it may well be that Digicel leaked the memo deliberately).

The sponsorship manager's report should really address the issue of whether players fulfilled their obligations to the sponsor in accordance with the agreed tour contract. Tittle tattle about players' extra-curricular activities and irrelevant attacks on Brian Lara's perceived slovenliness will simply fan the flames of an already red hot situation.

It would appear that Digicel are attempting to oust the Cable and Wireless clique, rather than finding ways of working with them, even if the players in question aren't being particularly co-operative.

Will be interesting to hear the coach and manager's views. Hopefully, their tour reports will be similarly leaked after the WICB's meeting this weekend.

Langeveldt

Soutie
I had a feeling Digicel were going to end up with egg on their faces... Not fair on them of course, but maybe a shrewder bunch of people would have invested in a team that are capable of going somewhere...

garage flower

State Vice-Captain
Langeveldt said:
I had a feeling Digicel were going to end up with egg on their faces... Not fair on them of course, but maybe a shrewder bunch of people would have invested in a team that are capable of going somewhere...
I think Digicel know exactly what they're doing now and should have known from the beginning that they would have problems due to the fraught relationship between the Board and the players/players association.

On what basis do you think the West Indies team isn't capable of going anywhere?

Langeveldt

Soutie
garage flower said:
On what basis do you think the West Indies team isn't capable of going anywhere?
I think they have the worst training/fitness attitude of the test playing sides.. Of course the talent is there, as it always has been.. But if they do pull any big achievements, it will be in ten years, not the "near future" (IMO)

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
i would say that they are reasonably capable actually providing their bowlers can learn how to turn their speed into accuracy......

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well that's the real trick, isn't it? And it's something that very, very few manage to do. Anyone who does has made a real achievement.
Best is already far more direct than he used to be.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
Digicel gets a lot of West Indian business so it would make sense to sponsor the regional team.More customers maybe?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It truly amazes me that sponsorship has come to this.
Without reading that link, the way I understood it The WICB gave the players the chance to reveal any potential conflicts ages ago... any they didn't. If that's true, the players have only got themselves to blame.