Thread: Fresh twist in Windies sponsorship wrangle

State Vice-Captain

Fresh twist in Windies sponsorship wrangle

http://caribbeancricket.com/modules....ticle&sid=1688

See above link - any thoughts?

Seems to me that, though there may well be some valid questions to be asked about player attitudes, this self-important sounding bloke from Digicel isn't going about it the right way (though it may well be that Digicel leaked the memo deliberately).

The sponsorship manager's report should really address the issue of whether players fulfilled their obligations to the sponsor in accordance with the agreed tour contract. Tittle tattle about players' extra-curricular activities and irrelevant attacks on Brian Lara's perceived slovenliness will simply fan the flames of an already red hot situation.

It would appear that Digicel are attempting to oust the Cable and Wireless clique, rather than finding ways of working with them, even if the players in question aren't being particularly co-operative.

Will be interesting to hear the coach and manager's views. Hopefully, their tour reports will be similarly leaked after the WICB's meeting this weekend.

Pinball Champion!
    I had a feeling Digicel were going to end up with egg on their faces... Not fair on them of course, but maybe a shrewder bunch of people would have invested in a team that are capable of going somewhere...
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

State Vice-Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by Langeveldt
    I had a feeling Digicel were going to end up with egg on their faces... Not fair on them of course, but maybe a shrewder bunch of people would have invested in a team that are capable of going somewhere...
    I think Digicel know exactly what they're doing now and should have known from the beginning that they would have problems due to the fraught relationship between the Board and the players/players association.

On what basis do you think the West Indies team isn't capable of going anywhere?

Pinball Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by garage flower

On what basis do you think the West Indies team isn't capable of going anywhere?
    I think they have the worst training/fitness attitude of the test playing sides.. Of course the talent is there, as it always has been.. But if they do pull any big achievements, it will be in ten years, not the "near future" (IMO)

Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity
    i would say that they are reasonably capable actually providing their bowlers can learn how to turn their speed into accuracy......

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Well that's the real trick, isn't it? And it's something that very, very few manage to do. Anyone who does has made a real achievement.
    Best is already far more direct than he used to be.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Cricket Web Content Updater roseboy64's Avatar
    Digicel gets a lot of West Indian business so it would make sense to sponsor the regional team.More customers maybe?
    Sir Alexander Chapman Ferguson = Greatest Ever Manager
    "One from ten leaves zero." - Eric Williams, former T&T PM
    Member of Cricket Web Green
    Member of Northside Power

R.I.P Fardin Qayyumi

State Vice-Captain
    C&W players dropped

And so Digicel, temporarily at least, gets its way.

EDIT: Cricinfo's take

The above includes some detail of C&W's response
    Last edited by garage flower; 05-03-2005 at 04:54 AM.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    It truly amazes me that sponsorship has come to this.
    Without reading that link, the way I understood it The WICB gave the players the chance to reveal any potential conflicts ages ago... any they didn't. If that's true, the players have only got themselves to blame.

Thread Information