• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Most underrated and overrated players in the world?

Nonentity

Cricket Spectator
underrated
Mohammed Sami
on his day he can rip apart any batting lineup in the world
overrated
Shoaib Akhtar
crap...can't be bothered to give 100% for his country

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
From replies to this forum, it is obvious that Sami is very underrated.

McMillan (NZ) is underrated.

Harmison is now underrated.

Vettori is underrated.

Tendulkar and Hayden are underrated by TEC.

Strauss is overrated but on his way back.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Bichel underated ...fantastic allround oneday player...can't get a look in to the national side

garage flower

State Vice-Captain
I think Chanderpaul's underrated by a lot of people and, sticking with the West Indies, I think Chris Gayle may be overrated.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hamish Marshall is a really good ODI batsman and doesn't get the recognition he deserves. I think Shiv Chanderpaul has been a bit underrated too.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Surprised no-one has mentioned Fred as overrated yet, a lot of posters seem to think he is (I don't think he is BTW, possibly a shade overhyped, but he's top drawer).

Sangakarra (sp?) is one who doesn't get the credit he deserves; he's not a flawless keeper (better than Geraint tho!), but he averages nigh on 50. Chris Harris is underestimated too; not a player to please the purists, but still v handy in ODIs.

deeps

International 12th Man
over rated:
andy symonds, cam white, sourav ganguly, akhtar, graeme smith, chris gayle (i admit i haven't seen much of him), dravid (yes still under rated)

under rated:

lakshmipathy balaji (he had just as good figures as irfan pathan and even better IIRC till he got injured), sami, youhana, shoaib malik (he didnt do much to improve that thougH), vikram solanki, ashraful, tendulkar (i still think he's hyped up to be better than he is...not sayin he's not a brilliant player, but not GOD as some ppl say)

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Why's Solanki under-rated? Plenty would say he's over-rated to have had such a long crack at International cricket.

Also, Sami has days where he's unplayable, and days where he's pure dirge. The latter are far more common, which is why people don't rate him.

a massive zebra

International Captain
Underrated

Martyn
Hayden
Sangakarra
Harbhajan
Hoggard
Kallis
MacGill (by Richard)
Tendulkar (by TEC)

Overrated

Harmison
S Jones
Warne
Ashraful
Pathan
M Clarke

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
a massive zebra said:
MacGill (by Richard)
Really? How on Earth is a bowler who has had 1 seriously good authentic Test-match in the last 6 years any good at all?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
zinzan12 said:
Bichel underated ...fantastic allround oneday player...can't get a look in to the national side
Really?
Maybe he was in this short period but as you can see, subtract this period and his ER is 4.82-an-over and average 39 (even worse when you get rid of Bangladesh and Zimbabwe games ).
Bichel is a very, very poor player who peaked at just the right time, his peak finshing in the most important ODI tournament of them all.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
garage flower said:
I think Chanderpaul's underrated by a lot of people
Not by me, certainly.
Capable of playing innings (both fast and slow) that few people are capable of playing, and an extremely consistent batsman in both forms of the game, and good at both the international and the domestic level.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Nonentity said:
underrated
Mohammed Sami
on his day he can rip apart any batting lineup in the world
Except that those days come maybe 1 in 20... and the other 19 are as abysmal as they come.

Swervy

International Captain
Richard said:
Really?
Maybe he was in this short period but as you can see, subtract this period and his ER is 4.82-an-over and average 39 (even worse when you get rid of Bangladesh and Zimbabwe games ).
Bichel is a very, very poor player who peaked at just the right time, his peak finshing in the most important ODI tournament of them all.
as if he is a very very poor player

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It depends when you looked at him - at international level, if you looked at any period outside the short 9-month period starting in June 2002, you'd come to no other conclusion.
There's no arguing with that record - if you get rid of the apologist games, it'd probably be over 5-an-over and over 40 - that's unarguable.

Swervy

International Captain
Richard said:
It depends when you looked at him - at international level, if you looked at any period outside the short 9-month period starting in June 2002, you'd come to no other conclusion.
There's no arguing with that record - if you get rid of the apologist games, it'd probably be over 5-an-over and over 40 - that's unarguable.
well again.I am not look at the friggin stats...if you watched the guy play,he was a guy who would break his back for his captain, get vital wickets,get vital runs when needed,and always be at the opposition....

For me it was pretty obvious that when you saw him play,he was a good cricketer.You can look at all the figures you want,he did his job for Australia brilliantly when he was needed..what more can you ask for

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
And because he played around McGrath, Gillespie and Warne his miniscule contributions were more valued.
Sorry, you don't become a good bowler because you "take vital wickets" if you take them at 40.
And being a slightly better than average tailender doesn't make you a better bowler than you are.

Swervy

International Captain
Richard said:
And because he played around McGrath, Gillespie and Warne his miniscule contributions were more valued.
Sorry, you don't become a good bowler because you "take vital wickets" if you take them at 40.
And being a slightly better than average tailender doesn't make you a better bowler than you are.
look beyond the figures just for a second...

for me he is a players player,not a statisticians player.I am pretty sure he was seen by his team mates as someone who could get a job done when backs were against the wall (and sometimes when they werent)...to me, that isnt a very very poor player

garage flower

State Vice-Captain
I'm assuming Richard was using hyperbole when he claimed Bichel was very, very poor, but I do think he (that's Bichel, not Richard) benefited - at times - from a loose or at least over-aggressive approach from batsmen looking for easier runs having survived Gilly, McGrath and Warne.

That said, I thought he was a decent 4th bowler, good no.8 batsman and a very tidy fielder.