• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Most underrated and overrated players in the world?

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
tooextracool said:
craig white had enormous talent, about as much as some of the best bowlers in the history of the game. unfortunately injury ruined what would have been a great career. while only an idiot would say that he was a better bowler than mcgrath, he certainly had a lot more talent and variety than every other bowler in the world today.
out of curiosity, does anyone know what craig white's bowling record in domestic cricket was like between 97-01?
He played 234 first class matches... surely that is a fair sample of his ability? If he was so remarkably talented (more than Gillespie, Kasprowicz, Lee, Shoaib, Pollock and so on) why did he never dominate in the fairly weak county competition? 390 wickets in 234 games @ 28.46 is frankly far from brilliant. Now, I'm not one to judge a player on his average alone and I never saw him play first class cricket (aside from his incredibly mediocre performances in tests against Australia), but how on earth did such a rampagingly brilliant talent end up with such an average record? Compare it for example to Gillespie's 410 wickets in 110 matches @ 24.43. Obviously his record suggests that injury limited how often he actually bowled and that he played as a batsman regularly, but I find it astonishingly hard to believe from what I saw of him (which was, shall we say, not impressive) and his record that he was anything even remotely close to being better than every bowler in the world today bar McGrath.

amit_s

Banned
most underrated -

sehwag - he avges 70+ in tests if u take his record since 2003 and this include 7 tests v aus.
pathan

most overrated -

parthiv patel - he has cost india 2 series victories against australia
harmison

tooextracool

International Coach
FaaipDeOiad said:
He played 234 first class matches... surely that is a fair sample of his ability? If he was so remarkably talented (more than Gillespie, Kasprowicz, Lee, Shoaib, Pollock and so on) why did he never dominate in the fairly weak county competition? 390 wickets in 234 games @ 28.46 is frankly far from brilliant. Now, I'm not one to judge a player on his average alone and I never saw him play first class cricket (aside from his incredibly mediocre performances in tests against Australia), but how on earth did such a rampagingly brilliant talent end up with such an average record? Compare it for example to Gillespie's 410 wickets in 110 matches @ 24.43. Obviously his record suggests that injury limited how often he actually bowled and that he played as a batsman regularly, but I find it astonishingly hard to believe from what I saw of him (which was, shall we say, not impressive) and his record that he was anything even remotely close to being better than every bowler in the world today bar McGrath.
because ive never stated that he was especially brilliant before 97, nor have i stated that he was brilliant since early 2001, because anyone who watched him bowling before 2001 and during and after would realise how much damage that injury had affected. so much so infact that he even went up to the english management while he was in the test side, and told them that he wasnt capable of bowling anywhere near as well as he had been in the 2000/01 season. look at his domestic records for 98, 99 and 00, those are about as outstanding as you'll ever get, which was around about craig whites prime.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
tooextracool said:
because ive never stated that he was especially brilliant before 97, nor have i stated that he was brilliant since early 2001, because anyone who watched him bowling before 2001 and during and after would realise how much damage that injury had affected. so much so infact that he even went up to the english management while he was in the test side, and told them that he wasnt capable of bowling anywhere near as well as he had been in the 2000/01 season. look at his domestic records for 98, 99 and 00, those are about as outstanding as you'll ever get, which was around about craig whites prime.
So you werent being sarcastic - that's even worse.

Craig White does not deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence as McGrath when it comes to assessing bowlers' merits.

He had a couple of decent tests in his entire career and a few good years in the County Championship - a competition that is significantly below the standard of the Pura Cup. Whoopee!

And BTW, McGrath had one county season (2000) and took 80 wickets @ 13. :D

Last edited:

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
You talking about 97-01?

It wasn't anything too special.
Yeah. A mid 20s average over a few years is pretty good, but in the county championship it's nothing to rave about. Plenty of people do better than that every season.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
tooextracool said:
craig white had enormous talent, about as much as some of the best bowlers in the history of the game. unfortunately injury ruined what would have been a great career. while only an idiot would say that he was a better bowler than mcgrath, he certainly had a lot more talent and variety than every other bowler in the world today.
out of curiosity, does anyone know what craig white's bowling record in domestic cricket was like between 97-01?
One of the most ridiculous posts you'll ever read.

Craig White is a batsman that is a handy bowler.

Injury free, he bowled reverse swing at 140 ks and wasnt very accurate.

Last edited:

tooextracool

International Coach
social said:
One of the most ridiculous posts you'll ever read.

Craig White is a batsman that is a handy bowler.

Injury free, he bowled reverse swing at 140 ks and wasnt very accurate.
then you obviously didnt watch well enough. craig white could do far more than reverse swing the ball. he could swing it, seam it and cut it. no he wasnt the most accurate bowler in the world, but he was still fairly accurate.