• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Most underrated and overrated players in the world?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Langeveldt said:
Simple.. Attacking flare, and a marketable image... Dravid is more in the Kirsten mold (to a lesser extent), unglamorous, but so effective

At least Sachin has the ability to back it all up... But I'd have Rahul batting for my life any day
I'm sure they are factors, but arguably Sehwag has more of either than Sachin.

twctopcat

International Regular
BoyBrumby said:
I'm sure they are factors, but arguably Sehwag has more of either than Sachin.
Give it a couple more years with Sehwag and this form and he could be the biggest of them all.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
Under-rated:
Dravid
Kasprowicz (people still want him to go to make room for Lee!)
Chanderpaul
Kumble (often forgotten)
Martyn (until recently)
Katich
Fleming
Kaneria

Over-rated:
G. Jones
Pathan (still has to prove himself)
Hayden
Gayle
Lee
Flintoff (somewhat...very good, not yet great although talked of as such)
Vaas
Jayawardene

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Dasa said:
Under-rated:
Dravid
Kasprowicz (people still want him to go to make room for Lee!)
Chanderpaul
Kumble (often forgotten)
Martyn (until recently)
Katich
Fleming
Kaneria

Over-rated:
G. Jones
Pathan (still has to prove himself)
Hayden
Gayle
Lee
Flintoff (somewhat...very good, not yet great although talked of as such)
Vaas
Jayawardene
Agree with Flintoff as a test cricketer, but don't think he is overated at ODI's

Fiery

Banned
Overrated (one from each side):

Aus: McGrath - just a bowline machine
Eng: Harmison - was massively overrated but seems to be proving it himself recently
Pak: Shoaib Akhtar - no ticker
India: Ganguly - His captaincy is very overrated
NZ: Mills - mainly overrated by the kiwi selectors
WI: Bravo - everyone seems to rave about him. I must have missed something
SA: Dippenaar
SL: Murali - anyone who throws the ball to get his wickets deserves to be labeled overrated
Bangladesh and Zimbabwe don't have any players anyone rates do they? Will discount them until they become competitive. Bangladesh will but not sure about Zimbabwe's future.

Underrated:
Aus: Martyn - very good technically
Eng: Flintoff - by people on these forums (mainly my fellow kiwis). Outstanding
player IMO
NZ: McCullum - will become an alltime great
SA: Gibbs - no nuclear physicist but wonderful batsman
India: Dravid - very adaptable player
SL: Vaas - I underrated him myself but have changed my mind. Quality player.
WI: Chanderpaul - don't know how he has become so successful with that technique
but one of the most reliable players around
Pak: Inzi - only as a batsman. Has so much time to play the ball.
Lousy captain though.

Last edited:

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Fiery said:

Eng: Harmison - was massively overrated but seems to be proving it himself recently
SL: Murali - anyone who throws the ball to get his wickets deserves to be labeled overrated
Bangladesh and Zimbabwe don't have any players anyone rates do they? Will discount them until they become competitive. Bangladesh will but not sure about Zimbabwe's future.

Underrated:
player IMO
WI: Chanderpaul - don't know how he has become so successful with that technique
Lousy captain though.

On Flintoff...I don't think anyone on this forum (unless they are totally brainless) would deny he's good player. Its the way he seems to be talked up on the Forum by his fans with comparisons being made with all-time great players that causes me (and probably others) to suggest he's overated.

deeps

International 12th Man
ah yes, i forgot to mention brad hogg as under rated...he is highly under rated

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Fiery said:

Underrated:
player IMO
Lousy captain though.
Most of it i would agree except a couple:
- Mcgarth, i think he is one of the all time greats and by far from being overated. Hayden is probably overated because of his in ability to play geniue pace bowling
- Ntini is proabaly more overated then Dippenaar, most people i now don't rate Dippenaar at all.
- Flintoff i still think he has to prove himself as a Test player aganist quality opposition. Until he does that i think he will be overated not underated as a Test Player.
- I don't think Gibbs is underated, most people rate him pretty highly. I think Nel is more underated then he is.
- I don't think Inzi is underated by most people as a batsmen. Danish or Rana are probably the most underated Pakistan players

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
tooextracool said:
thats precisely why hes underrated. because people like you cant get over the fact that dravid is actually a better player than the both of them.
On your assessment, Dravid has now gone from underrated to the most overrated player in the history of test cricket!

All things being equal, who would you rather bowl to?

Tendulkar, Lara or ...... wait for it ..... Rahul Dravid? 8-)

Nonentity said:
underrated
Mohammed Sami
on his day he can rip apart any batting lineup in the world
overrated
On his day even Afridi proves to be a match winner with the bat!!

Sami is the crappiest pacer ever, all speed and no control. He's lucky to be playing in a test side (due to lack of quality pacers in his country). Whoever bothers to even rates him need to have his eyes tested!

deeps

International 12th Man
social said:
On your assessment, Dravid has now gone from underrated to the most overrated player in the history of test cricket!

All things being equal, who would you rather bowl to?

Tendulkar, Lara or ...... wait for it ..... Rahul Dravid? 8-)
it depends on a lot of factors... if i was told "you have 10 overs of bowling...you can bowl at tendulkar, lara or dravid... you can give away as many runs as you want, but you need a wicket"

i would pick tendulkar or lara over dravid to bowl to, as dravid is such a solid batsman.

On the other hand if i was told "you have one over, they need 20 to win" i would probably pick dravid, because even though when he wants, he can turn it on as much as any player in international cricket, he is usually alot more timid.

all 3 are different players, for me, lara is a big game player, dravid is a pressure player...both are excellent when their country needs them... but tendulkar tends to go missing in these situations... and the problem is he's going missing more than ever now

anyone can make centuries against bangladesh when there is no pressure, but when ur team is batting for a test match it's the true champions that shine through, dravid, lara,steve waugh are at their best in such situations

Swervy

International Captain
zinzan12 said:
On Flintoff...I don't think anyone on this forum (unless they are totally brainless) would deny he's good player. Its the way he seems to be talked up on the Forum by his fans with comparisons being made with all-time great players that causes me (and probably others) to suggest he's overated.
I guess this is aimed at me somewhat...hehehehe.

Obviously he has to prove himself over a longer period of in the test arena to be consideredan all time great.

My point on Flintoff is his talent. There is no doubt in my mind he has the talent to EVENTUALLY be considered up there with the best,and I thought that back in 1998.

Sometimes you can see a player only a couple of times and know instinctivly that they can be great players.Flintoff is one of the very few players I have ever thought that of.Tendulkar was another one,Lara another.You dont always need a player to see a player score hundreds everywhere,or teake 5fers all over the place to see that.

He has (after he has played himself in) as good an eye for the ball as most as a batsman,and he has always had enough control with the ball.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Fiery said:

Hehehe, shhhh... Just think it, don't say it... Working well for me at the moment!

I think Taibu is really over rated from Zimbabwe.. I've seen him in peoples World XI's..

garage flower

State Vice-Captain
Fiery said:

Underrated - Ramnaresh Sarwan

Overrated - Every other international bowler

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Langeveldt said:
Hehehe, shhhh... Just think it, don't say it... Working well for me at the moment!

I think Taibu is really over rated from Zimbabwe.. I've seen him in peoples World XI's..
He's been in my world XIs at times due to his glovework as IMO it's superior to every other Test keeper's. As for what you missed about Bravo, probably the tour of England in 2004.

garage flower

State Vice-Captain
Neil Pickup said:
As for what you missed about Bravo, probably the tour of England in 2004.
Fair point, but I think he's overrated as an all-rounder at the moment. He's a very handy bowler and brilliant fielder, but not much more than a useful tail-end batsman at this stage.