• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Most underrated and overrated players in the world?

Swervy

International Captain
garage flower said:
I'm assuming Richard was using hyperbole when he claimed Bichel was very, very poor, but I do think he (that's Bichel, not Richard) benefited - at times - from a loose or at least over-aggressive approach from batsmen looking for easier runs having survived Gilly, McGrath and Warne.

That said, I thought he was a decent 4th bowler, good no.8 batsman and a very tidy fielder.
yeah..buts lets face it..each of Gillespie, Warne and Mcgrath also benefit from the presence of the others...he still had to take advantage of the opportunities given to him,and he often did that.Quite easily as a fourth bowler ,he could have let up on the pressure created by the others....in actual fact he rarely did let the opposition off the hook.

Richard may well have been using hyperbole,but he is the first one to latch onto things that others say on here....lets just see if he retracts the comment

tooextracool

International Coach
a massive zebra said:
how on earth someone like simon jones can be overrated is simply unbelievable. the guy wins the first test with a match winning spell and gets dropped from the side for anderson(whos done virtually nothing at the test level), takes wickets at under 27 in the series against SA and gets sent back home for the ODI series(even though people who watched him bowl against zimbabwe said they were impressed).
you need to realise that theres a distinction between players you dont like and being overrated. because as far as i know, simon jones is barely even rated by most people(you only have to look at the number of people who are STILL uncertain between choosing anderson or jones for the last test spot) let alone overrated.

tooextracool

International Coach
Neil Pickup said:
Why's Solanki under-rated? Plenty would say he's over-rated to have had such a long crack at International cricket..
possibly because they've been certain people on here who've dismissed him off as never being good enough to play for england?

Nonentity

Cricket Spectator
Neil Pickup said:
Why's Solanki under-rated? Plenty would say he's over-rated to have had such a long crack at International cricket.

Also, Sami has days where he's unplayable, and days where he's pure dirge. The latter are far more common, which is why people don't rate him.
he has got the talent though...he only needs direction

tooextracool

International Coach
im sure most people know what my overrated list looks like- hayden,tendulkar....big gap......lee, ponting, harmison(although if he bowls like he did in the summer i think he would be fairly successful), ntini, vaas(in tests), jayawardhene,jayasuriya(in tests), anderson, inzamam, sami, gayle,powell, styris, pathan, zaheer khan, bravo.
underrated - kaspa, martyn, katich, s.jones, r.key, dravid(which is a crime), mccullum, read(in ODIs), bradshaw, asim kamal, brad hogg.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
tooextracool said:
im sure most people know what my overrated list looks like- hayden,tendulkar....big gap......lee, ponting, harmison(although if he bowls like he did in the summer i think he would be fairly successful), ntini, vaas(in tests), jayawardhene,jayasuriya(in tests), anderson, inzamam, sami, gayle,powell, styris, pathan, zaheer khan, bravo.
underrated - kaspa, martyn, katich, s.jones, r.key, dravid(which is a crime), mccullum, read(in ODIs), bradshaw, asim kamal, brad hogg.
How is Ponting overrated and Dravid underrated?

Both are routinely rated as amongst the top 3 or 4 batsmen in the world - that's nothing more than a fair assessment.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Over rated - entire english team except Vaughan, flintoff and tresco, Zaheer and Pathan, Steven fleming (his batting not his captaincy), Shoaib, Sami, Ganguly, laxman

Underrated - McGrath, Marto, Kaspa, Kumble, Dravid, Mike Hussey, Katich, Boucher

tooextracool

International Coach
social said:
How is Ponting overrated and Dravid underrated?

Both are routinely rated as amongst the top 3 or 4 batsmen in the world - that's nothing more than a fair assessment.
ive explained this about 1 million times in the past. the fantasy of assuming that a player who has done well in every country and has performed in every single year of his career is as good as one who hasnt is ludicrous.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
tooextracool said:
ive explained this about 1 million times in the past. the fantasy of assuming that a player who has done well in every country and has performed in every single year of his career is as good as one who hasnt is ludicrous.
I think what this gibberish is trying to imply is that you think Dravid is better than Ponting.

There well be an argument for that.

However, the basic tenet of your argument in this case is false as that would preclude Lara and Tendulkar (who have both suffered ordinary years in the past for one reason or another) from comparison with Dravid. That is obviously nonsense.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Under Rated

1) Gary Kirsten (well before he retd.)
2) Damien Martyn
3) Mike Kasprowicz
4) Rahul Dravid
5) Hamilton Masakadza

Over Rated

1) Tatenda Taibu
2) Irfan Pathan
3) Simon Jones
4) Habibul Bashar
5) Mohammad Ashraful
6) Mark Vermeulen (well he was)

Langeveldt

Soutie
BoyBrumby said:
Surprised no-one has mentioned Fred as overrated yet, a lot of posters seem to think he is
I think he is over rated, not by loads, but a fair bit.. Got shot down last time I said that though..

Cuppa tea, biccie an' an Anderson shelter, here come the missiles!

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Langeveldt said:
Under Rated

1) Gary Kirsten (well before he retd.)
2) Damien Martyn
3) Mike Kasprowicz
4) Rahul Dravid
5) Hamilton Masakadza

Over Rated

1) Tatenda Taibu
2) Irfan Pathan
3) Simon Jones
4) Habibul Bashar
5) Mohammad Ashraful
6) Mark Vermeulen (well he was)
Can't see how Dravid is overated?? , Not because he isn't a magnificent player, because he is.....but simply because everyone rates him highly..

BoyBrumby

Englishman
zinzan12 said:
Can't see how Dravid is overated?? , Not because he isn't a magnificent player, because he is.....but simply because everyone rates him highly..
Didn't Lang say he was underrated? :huh:

tooextracool

International Coach
social said:
I think what this gibberish is trying to imply is that you think Dravid is better than Ponting.

There well be an argument for that.

However, the basic tenet of your argument in this case is false as that would preclude Lara and Tendulkar (who have both suffered ordinary years in the past for one reason or another) from comparison with Dravid. That is obviously nonsense.
thats precisely why hes underrated. because people like you cant get over the fact that dravid is actually a better player than the both of them.

Langeveldt

Soutie
a massive zebra said:
Im sure he is a good batsman, but if he would struggle to make any other test side bar Zimbabwe... Like Taibu, he seems to get an awful lot of raps for carrying such a weak team, but in isolation is nothing great at all...

When everyone harks on about Tendulkar, Laxman and Sehwag, Dravid seems to take a bit of a backseat, when he is better than all three of the afforementioned... Probably due to him being less thrilling to watch.. Id take watching him for two hours any day though..

BoyBrumby

Englishman
zinzan12 said:
yes sorry my bad - mean't underated
I don't think he is underrated by people like us who are sufficiently ar$ed about cricket to post on a cricket forum; but of my mates who are more into other sports (which, being English, means Football, generally) if you asked them to name India's best batter I'd bet they'd all go for Sachin.

I can only guess why that should be; the longevity of his career maybe? For whatever reason tho his reputation has spread beyond the confines of cricket in a way Dravid's hasn't.

Langeveldt

Soutie
BoyBrumby said:
I can only guess why that should be; the longevity of his career maybe? For whatever reason tho his reputation has spread beyond the confines of cricket in a way Dravid's hasn't.
Simple.. Attacking flare, and a marketable image... Dravid is more in the Kirsten mold (to a lesser extent), unglamorous, but so effective

At least Sachin has the ability to back it all up... But I'd have Rahul batting for my life any day