• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Beige Brigade

Langeveldt

Soutie
twctopcat said:
Haha, guessed you would reply with kp top of the agenda, too easy. Was thinking murali etc more in oz, but if you insist....... :p
Its kind of laying into one of our own though... He isn't exactly a shire boy is he?

I've never said anything bad to a person on a cricket field, whether playing or not.. Hope to smash that precedent when KP next plays in SA :)

Langeveldt

Soutie
twctopcat said:
Funny you should say that......
Yeh, I'm confusing myself too... One traitor criticising another one :cool:

Still, at least I don't have a horrible Chavlikaans accent... And am immensely grateful for the country I am leaving..

Last edited:

Blaze

Banned
The thing I like about the Beige Brigade is that it basically started as a couple of guys who were passionate about their cricket and who made it their mission to see see the black caps back in their old beige uniforms and have now succeeded

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
twctopcat said:
Suppose that's the football culture creeping in, at least the chants(monotonous as they may be) are good natured and the barmy army support their own team rather than slag off the others(SA and OZ take note).
No, no... never hear them chanting:
"Throw, throw, throw the ball,
Gently down the seam,
Murali, Murali, Murali, Murali,
Chucks it like a dream"
do you? 8-)
Insults are part-and-parcel of cricket-spectatorship, sadly, and the Barmy Army are no saints like any other band of supporters.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Langeveldt said:
Yeah but most supporters seem to be able to resist the urge to chant after sinkin a few of SA's finest (South Africa, or South Australia, your pick).. Although the Aussie's penchant for p*ss taking and throwing and chicken hurling maybe moves the box we are thinking in slightly...
Throwing stuff onto the field should be punishable by life-bans if you ask me... disgraceful that people are allowed to get away with it, and that it's regarded as "that's the way it is" when you tour Australia.
Good on Cronje when he threatened to take them off when Symcox got pelted with the stuffed barbecued thing... not to mention the golf-balls and the fruit...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Langeveldt said:
And can they be called cricket fans when they spend half the day totally intoxicated?
Yep - turn-up at the ground midway through the second-session and get credited as if they'd been there all day... then rapidly get so hammered they might as well not be there but for
the bloody

Ennngguulluunnd lalalalala alalalalalala lalalalala Barmy Army Barmy Army Barmy Army Barmy Army X1000..
which certainly annoys me a hell of a lot.
twctopcat said:
The barmy army is all good though, makes a nice change to the quiet sometimes .
You see, I invariably prefer the quiet.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Blaze said:
I don't think you are a fool, but what's my opinion compared to hundreds of others?

Are you always this stupid or are you making a special effort today?
Latter.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Blakey said:
Poor Mans version of a bunch of sunburnt, drunken, liverpudlian accented knuckle scrapers who like to lower the general IQ of any country they leech themselves too? Barmy Army are just that. Supporters of a decade long underachieving sanctimonious cucumber sandwich eaters. Simply made for each other. Nice.
OTT. And outdated.
And WRT to The Barmy Army - in just a few cases - wholly inaccurate.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I must admit that I went & bought a beige shirt the other day. There is a huge following in NZ now..apparently there are supporters as far as Iceland even!

anzac

International Debutant
Blaze said:
The thing I like about the Beige Brigade is that it basically started as a couple of guys who were passionate about their cricket and who made it their mission to see see the black caps back in their old beige uniforms and have now succeeded
God I hope not - what do we call them then "the Beige Caps"????????
may be ok as an 'Away' strip or 20/20 etc..........

what's the dif between 'the beige brigade' and any other bunch of supporters that wear the team colours - apart from the obvious time warp...........

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
I've had a Beige Brigade shirt since the middle of last year.

The best supporters I've heard of was a small group of guys - The Tight Five. They travelled around South Africa following the 1996 All Blacks and would turn up to each match in nuns' habits. Great name too...

If anyone mentions Sonny Shaw, I'm out of here...