• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The worst last five over batsmen ??

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
This should be fun. Name the TWO batsmen you consider the worst to have in the last five overs of a big run chase or in setting a big target.

Condition : They should be batting between 1 and 6 in the batting order !!

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
steds said:
Is this test or ODI?
Hah, that's a very good point.

This could be interpreted as there's 5 overs to go and you're 9 wickets down with one of your top 6 batsman still there playing for survival.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
garage flower said:
what about Kallis and Laxman?
Kallis at his best is a very handy last 5 overs player. He just needs the captain to tell him how to bat, instead of leaving that up to him.

Mr Mxyzptlk

My picks:

Jimmy Adams - in all live cricket I've watched with him, I've seen him hit one six and that was a top-edge over fine leg.
Ashwell Prince - he's a decent bat, but I don't see him being effective if he comes in with 5 or so overs to go.

tooextracool

International Coach
garage flower said:
Tricky one. Of current players - and off the top of my head so go easy on me! - what about Kallis and Laxman?
laxman isnt especially poor at scoring once hes set. kallis though is, and i think the game in the ICC championships 02/03 against india emphasises that. how in the hell did they manage to lose that?

tooextracool

International Coach
off the top of my head and im really surprised that no one has mentioned either of the 1st 2:
gavaskar
boycott
atherton
prabhakar

Mr Mxyzptlk

tooextracool said:
laxman isnt especially poor at scoring once hes set. kallis though is
That's not true. Kallis can score as quickly as anyone when set (or even when he's just come in), he just seems to prefer not to.

tooextracool

International Coach
how can anyone prefer not to score as quick as possible in the last 5 overs? AFAIC you can only score as fast as you can.

Sudeep

International Captain
There's no way I'd put Kallis in this category. In fact, if set, he is one of the best batsmen to have batting in the last five overs.

Sudeep

International Captain
Langeveldt said:
Err

Courtney Walsh
Mornantau Hayward
Andre Nel
Brett Schultz
Douglas Hondo
Only #1 to 6, Rich. :p Neither of those five would have batted there. :p

Mr Mxyzptlk

tooextracool said:
how can anyone prefer not to score as quick as possible in the last 5 overs? AFAIC you can only score as fast as you can.
That's my point. I've heard Kallis has been given liberty to bat as he pleases. He does tend to a slightly selfish side to him.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Ashwell Prince - he's a decent bat, but I don't see him being effective if he comes in with 5 or so overs to go.
I think Prince is the sort of player who would be very effective if there's a hitter at the other end. He's excellent at rotating the strike and running quickly.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Dasa said:
I think Prince is the sort of player who would be very effective if there's a hitter at the other end. He's excellent at rotating the strike and running quickly.
Certainly not the worst - damn quick between the wickets (with occasional run-out tendencies) and got the Saffies home at Centurion, and also hit a six during the fourth (?) game in a rapid stand with Kemp.

Fiery

Banned
Chris Harris is/was infuriating at times. He would invariable scratch around for the first 20 balls and find it very hard to get the ball away if he had come in with only 5 overs to go. He was good if we were 80/5 and would always make sure we batted the 50 and got up over 200. Didn't like him coming in in the 46th over though.