• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The worst last five over batsmen ??

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Neil Pickup said:
Certainly not the worst - damn quick between the wickets (with occasional run-out tendencies) and got the Saffies home at Centurion, and also hit a six during the fourth (?) game in a rapid stand with Kemp.
He was set at Centurion. My comment was more referring to a batsman just coming in with 5 overs to go.

Fiery

Banned
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
He was set at Centurion. My comment was more referring to a batsman just coming in with 5 overs to go.
In that case definitely Harry is one the worst I know of but he hardly ever batted in the top 6 so may not count.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I still dont think he would be the worst.

He can rotate the strike very well, so he could play a McCullum-like role at the end.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
In the innings he played against England though, he was never comfortable in strike rotation from the start. He looked scratchy (for my money) at each trip to the crease. It's all well and good when you've had a look for 10-12 balls, but when there are 30 balls left, you need to get the runs up from the outset.

Fiery

Banned
Prince EWS said:
I still dont think he would be the worst.

He can rotate the strike very well, so he could play a McCullum-like role at the end.
No, he's terrible at rotating the strike most of the time. He'll spend a few overs thrusting his pad at the ball or trying to work it through the on side and missing or trying to push it into the off-side and his pad would be in front of the bat. Good ODI bowler, brilliant fielder and good Mr Fix-it man if the batsmen before are all out and heaps of overs to go but definitely not one for the last 5 unless he's already been in for about 20 overs.

tooextracool

International Coach
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
That's my point. I've heard Kallis has been given liberty to bat as he pleases. He does tend to a slightly selfish side to him.
well whatever way you look at it, hes still not the batsman you'd want in the last 5 overs. whether he is capable of scoring quickly(which im not too sure about anyways) is irrelevant, the fact is that he doesnt.

SpeedKing

U19 Vice-Captain
Hard one.
JH Kallis-got me thinking; alot of times this series, he seemed to get out in the 40-42 over to allow the hitters (Kemp/Boucher/Pollock/Hall) to get set for the last 5 overs.

IR Bell-He has got such a test-match oriented technique and does not like improvising to get hmself in position for big strokes. It's clear that he is best when opeing in ODIs.

tassietiger

U19 Debutant
Symonds is useless if he hasn't got his eye in already. If he's been batting since about the 30th over, however, he's one of the best there is.

Michael Bevan was never a big-hitter late in an innings.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
If we can use non-current players, Mark Taylor springs to mind immediately. Among current players... Michael Vaughan and Matthew Sinclair.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
SpeedKing said:
Hard one.
JH Kallis-got me thinking; alot of times this series, he seemed to get out in the 40-42 over to allow the hitters (Kemp/Boucher/Pollock/Hall) to get set for the last 5 overs.

IR Bell-He has got such a test-match oriented technique and does not like improvising to get hmself in position for big strokes. It's clear that he is best when opeing in ODIs.
Can't believe you're saying that about Bell - he rarely if ever opens for Warwickshire, and it's not as if he had any time at the death in that series, anyway!

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
twctopcat said:
Nasser Hussain and Mark Richardson off the top of my head.
Mark Richardson only played five ODIs and when he did, was dismissed so early that we never saw how effective he was in the last five overs.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
FaaipDeOiad said:
If we can use non-current players, Mark Taylor springs to mind immediately. Among current players... Michael Vaughan and Matthew Sinclair.
If Matthew Sinclair has got himself in, he can be a very useful death player, as he's proven at domestic level. The only problem is his inability to bat through an innings consistently so, like Richardson, has rarely been seen in the last five-ten overs at international level.

twctopcat

International Regular
Somerset said:
Mark Richardson only played five ODIs and when he did, was dismissed so early that we never saw how effective he was in the last five overs.
Very true but just going on clean hitting/range of strokes/improvisation etc. These two weren't particularly hot.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
twctopcat said:
Very true but just going on clean hitting/range of strokes/improvisation etc. These two weren't particularly hot.
Fair point. I can't imagine Richardson slogging at the death with a range of unorthodox shots so I do see where you're coming from.

SpeedKing

U19 Vice-Captain
Neil Pickup said:
Can't believe you're saying that about Bell - he rarely if ever opens for Warwickshire, and it's not as if he had any time at the death in that series, anyway!
Sorry Niel It was just that i couldn't find another 1-6 bat who was as vulnerable as i have seen him on the last five overs. i myself am one of Bells more loyal fans and i is probably because i have never really seen him accelerate. i feel that the only job he can do admirably in the last five overs is to rotate the strike (like someone said about Prince) and have a Flintoff/Pietersen at the other end doing the major damage. For your sake Niel, i am going to swap him with Micheal Vaughan. Happy.

Such a shame it is only 1-6 batsmen because i would have been Wharf. his big-hitting ability [which got him into the team] is completely non-existent.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
FaaipDeOiad said:
. Among current players... Michael Vaughan and Matthew Sinclair.
To be fair, if either of them were there in the last 5 overs they'd have big scores and would be seeing it like a Football, so would quite probably score at a fair lick.