• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** Bangladesh A in Zimbabwe

mavric41

State Vice-Captain
Langeveldt said:
The fact that Bangladesh have managed to beat Zimbabwe is just depressing for cricket. Not a great Bangladeshi feat..

Imagine what would happen if we stripped Bangladesh of 15 of their top players?
They have 15 top players?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Which of course had nothing to do with the fact that India played Bangladesh during an almost belief-defying form-slump and Zimbabwe faced them when they were going pretty well.
If Bangladesh had played in the 2003\04 VB Series and Zimbabwe had faced them in 2004\05 it'd have been the other way around.

crickmate

U19 12th Man
Bangladesh completed another easy victory.

Bangladesh A 311 and 277 beat Zimbabwe A 201 and 197 by 190 runs

They won the series with one match still remaining. Now Zimbabwe has called Andy Blignaut(one of the rebel playrs) in A team to play the last match against Bangla A.

Hasib

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
one comment... last yr Zimbabwe A toured bangladesh... b4 the whole rebal players thing... and Bangladesh A won both the test and ODI series. plus the Bangladesh team played well against Zimbabwe in ODI last yr... only heath streak stood between Bangladesh and a series win (plus Rafique bing sent back). Zimbabwe was a one man show than... they now hav a few players who can perform... this current Zimb side is probably beta thgan the old one...except young and inexperianced (they bowled Aus U19 out for 74!!!). oh yeah... bangladesh struggled after reciving test status as they lost most of their senmior players.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Zimbabwe aren't an enormous amount worse now than they were pre-rebellion.
What really killed them was the players they lost before that (Alistair Campbell, Andy Flower, Guy Whittall, Henry Olonga, the Strangs, the Rennies, Mpeulolo Mbangwa, Murray Goodwin, Neil Johnson).

Hasib

Richard said:
Zimbabwe aren't an enormous amount worse now than they were pre-rebellion.
What really killed them was the players they lost before that (Alistair Campbell, Andy Flower, Guy Whittall, Henry Olonga, the Strangs, the Rennies, Mpeulolo Mbangwa, Murray Goodwin, Neil Johnson).
Not all thse players count coz some of these players retirements hd nothn to do with the crisis

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
If you ask me ALL of them would still be playing if Zimbabwe had a Govornment that respected basic human-rights.
Anyway - the reason for the retirements is irrelevant - the fact is, Zimbabwe are only crap because they've lost 20 or 25 players they shouldn't have lost.
And as I say, for most of them you can blame the President who is intent on running his country into the ground...

Hasib

1st Richard...
I looked through the profiles of most of these players b4 i posted that comment

2nd Langeveldt...
I was talking about talent here... the old side wud perform beta at this present moment... only because its more expiranced... the other side has less exp but more talent (infact this is the Zimbabwe of ten yrs time if the crisis didn't happen)... if this wasnt the case... as u seem to imply... Zimbabwe wud be weak in the the future even if this crisis didn't occur...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Langeveldt said:
Sounds like the voice of Mad Bob Mugabe himself :D

Are you absolutely out of your mind?
Well... Utseya so far in his career has been a better one-day bowler than any of the old ones, but apart from that...

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Hasib said:
1st Richard...
I looked through the profiles of most of these players b4 i posted that comment

2nd Langeveldt...
I was talking about talent here... the old side wud perform beta at this present moment... only because its more expiranced... the other side has less exp but more talent (infact this is the Zimbabwe of ten yrs time if the crisis didn't happen)... if this wasnt the case... as u seem to imply... Zimbabwe wud be weak in the the future even if this crisis didn't occur...
No-one can possibly be certain how talented these current Zimbabwean lot are, because they just should not be playing international cricket.
They might have turned-out good if they hadn't been chucked on the scene so early, but as it is I'll be amazed if more than 2 or 3 of them become of anything.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Richard said:
Well... Utseya is a better one-day bowler than any of the old ones, but apart from that...
So Heath Streak is inferior to some guy who takes 2 wickets in 15 ODI'S?? And Paul Strang??

BoyBrumby

Englishman
crickmate said:
Bangladesh completed another easy victory.

Bangladesh A 311 and 277 beat Zimbabwe A 201 and 197 by 190 runs

They won the series with one match still remaining. Now Zimbabwe has called Andy Blignaut(one of the rebel playrs) in A team to play the last match against Bangla A.
This almost escaped my notice, but Blignaut is coming back into the Zimba's fold.

Creating a bit of ill-will amongst his fellow rebels according to the Beeb:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/other_international/zimbabwe/4293691.stm

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Langeveldt said:
So Heath Streak is inferior to some guy who takes 2 wickets in 15 ODI'S?? And Paul Strang??
Obviously Streak's played a hell of a lot more cricket than Utseya. As for Paul Strang, he was OK, yes (Bryan was better IMO).
Of course Utseya can't be called as good as any of those 3 yet, but if his record is similar to how it is now by the time he's played 100 ODIs, yes, I think he'd be a better bowler.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
BoyBrumby said:
This almost escaped my notice, but Blignaut is coming back into the Zimba's fold.

Creating a bit of ill-will amongst his fellow rebels according to the Beeb:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/other_international/zimbabwe/4293691.stm
Yep - a shame, from two points-of-view - I think Blignaut would have ended-up a better player if he'd stuck it out in Australia, and I think Zimbabwe would become a better place quicker if their cricket team was as poor as possible, because every time a "rebel" is perceived to have "broken ranks" it is very easy to perceive as a concession to Zanu PF.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Richard said:
Yep - a shame, from two points-of-view - I think Blignaut would have ended-up a better player if he'd stuck it out in Australia, and I think Zimbabwe would become a better place quicker if their cricket team was as poor as possible, because every time a "rebel" is perceived to have "broken ranks" it is very easy to perceive as a concession to Zanu PF.
Do you seriously think anyone in Zanu PF is going to concede anything at all because of a bunch of cricketers? Absolute tosh.. Whats relevant to them is whose balls they are connecting to electrodes..

This isn't sports mad apartheid SA we are dealing with remember..

Last edited:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Richard said:
And their current side is full-strength - the loss of the extra 15 players was simply an extension to the loss of all the players before and directly after WC2003.
There's a difference between players walking away to earn better money and players walking away because of a regime.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Richard said:
Anyway - the reason for the retirements is irrelevant - the fact is, Zimbabwe are only crap because they've lost 20 or 25 players they shouldn't have lost.
You seem to be overestimating these players that went.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Richard said:
Well... Utseya is a better one-day bowler than any of the old ones, but apart from that...
Utter codswallop.

He bowls in the middle overs and almost never looks like taking a wicket (as the opposition can push him around for 4 an over), allowing sides to bat into the last few overs with a lot of wickets in hand, and thus making big scores more often than not.