Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Spin-backed India can whitewash Shoaib-less Pakistan: Sarfraz

Spin-backed India can whitewash Shoaib-less Pakistan: Sarfraz

ISLAMABAD: Former pacer Sarfraz Nawaz on Sunday said he feared Indiaís spin bowlers would whitewash Pakistan in their upcoming cricket tour.

"India will spin roll Pakistan on their turning tracks because they play with three regular spinners, with Virender Sehwag and Sachin Tendulkar as two added tweakers and have the habit of finishing a Test in three days," Sarfraz told AFP.

"Pakistanís kitty is empty with just one spinner in Danish Kaneria while the other two spinners have been reported for illegal action and if they go without Shoaib Akhtar it would be a 3-0 win for India," Sarfraz reckoned.

Pakistan will play three Tests and five one-day games from February 25 to April 9 on their first tour of India in six years.

Sarfraz said Pakistanís cricket hierarchy seemed indifferent to the all important tour.

"Pakistan is under pressure after their 3-0 defeat in Australia but itís surprising there seems no planning, no vision and no preparation for the India tour," Sarfraz said.

He criticised coach Bob Woolmer, who is having knee surgery in South Africa, and the Pakistan trainers for going on holiday ahead of the tour, and ridiculed skipper Inzamam-ul Haq for appearing in an Indian advertisement.

"How would foreigners be interested in Pakistanís progress, they would muster the wealth and go away. Our captain doesnít act on the field and is acting in Indian advertisement which is a mockery of the preparation and no one is bothered what they are doing," he stated.

Sarfraz, acclaimed as the pioneer of reverse swing during a career of 55 Tests for Pakistan, taking 177 wickets, said only seamers could turn the tables on India. "If Shoaib Akhtar and Mohammad Sami are fit then we must select them and two more swing bowlers and only they can turn the tables on India because we have not produced quality spinners, no one had bothered to in the recent past," he said.

Pakistan won 1-0 on their 1987 tour with left-arm spinner Iqbal Qasim and off-spinner Tauseef Ahmed sharing eighteen wickets between them in the Bangalore win where the ball spun alarmingly almost throughout the match.

Sarfraz said India without an injured Sachin Tendulkar would still be strong. "Tendulkar would not be missed if he doesnít play because their real star is Rahul Dravid and other batsmen are capable enough to guide India to big totals," he said.

Pakistan are likely to announce their squad for the India tour on Friday.

Well what is India waiting for? This got to be the opportunity of life time, a chance to whitewash and humiliate the arch rivals, something which India haven't done in more than 50 years!!

Not only would it be win for India but India would gain a huge psychological advantage over Pakistan. If one 6 can help Pakistan to diminish the spirits of Indian team for 5-10 years then a white wash would probably crush the morals of Pakistani team for years to come.

I think India should go all out for turning tracks, taking advantage of home condition is something what India should be looking forward to.

School Boy/Girl Cricketer Greg Blewett's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by vandemataram
    "Pakistanís kitty is empty with just one spinner in Danish Kaneria while the other two spinners have been reported for illegal action and if they go without Shoaib Akhtar it would be a 3-0 win for India," Sarfraz reckoned.

So it Akhtar even out? I thought he would be fine? Im so confused...

International Captain LongHopCassidy's Avatar
    The Pakistan team is better off without Akhtar. If he got any more full of himself he'd explode and spurt ego everywhere.

Rana, Rao and Danish will be the workhorses of this tour.
    "The Australian cricket captain is the Prime Minister Australia wishes it had. Steve Waugh is that man, Michael Clarke is not." - Jarrod Kimber

RIP Fardin Qayyumi and Craig Walsh - true icons of CricketWeb.

Quote Originally Posted by LongHopCassidy
    The Pakistan team is better off without Akhtar. If he got any more full of himself he'd explode and spurt ego everywhere.

Rana, Rao and Danish will be the workhorses of this tour.
    These fellow will work hard but will get hammered.

Without Akhtar Pak attack is impotent, they might get 20 Indian wkts, but not in one match, probably in 2 or even 3!

Banned
    India whitewashing anyone..

I saidb4, even if they are given the chance on a platter...they will screw it up

School Boy/Girl Cricketer Vikas Bhatt's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sehwag309
    India whitewashing anyone..

I saidb4, even if they are given the chance on a platter...they will screw it up
    You echo my sentiments exactly. A team that can't even whitewash Zimbabwe after being 1-0 up, can whitewash Pakistan? We have been s h i t against them for 4 ODIs in a row now! Besides we couldn't even whitewash the Bangals 3-0 in ODIs, let alone whup Pak 3-0 in tests. I think a 2-1 or a 1-1 result is the best probability!

You asked me where I live in Mumbai Sehwag309? I live in Mulund!

Banned
    I still feel 1-0

Quote Originally Posted by Sehwag309
    I still feel 1-0
    Pak team does not look batting equipped for fighting draws, and Indian team is still shaky on the batting front, to score big consistantly. Only rank bad bowling, unpredictable weather or indifferent batting pitches can get you 2 boring draws this time!
    Last edited by Vikas Bhatt; 14-02-2005 at 05:53 AM.

SJS
    Virus 2 Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vikas Bhatt
    Pak team does not look batting equipped for fighting draws, and Indian team is still shaky on the batting front, to score big conistantly. Only rank bad bowling, unpredictable weather or indifferent batting pitches can get you 2 boring draws this time!
    I dont think we are going to get draws. There will be results and the margin will be one test this way or that.

Quote Originally Posted by SJS
    I dont think we are going to get draws. There will be results and the margin will be one test this way or that.
    Than that means 2-1 is the best bet!

Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    I think Pakistan will be well beaten, but a whitewash is pushing it a bit.

If Rana and Rao bowl like they did in Australia they will do fairly well I think. Still, I think Kaneria will struggle a bit against the Indians (like most spinners do), and the Kumble/Harbhajan combo will most likely get a great deal of assistance from the pitches and do well against the Pakistani batsmen, who aren't the world's greatest players of spin. My pick is 2-0 or 2-1.

School Boy/Girl Captain dudeurfriend's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FaaipDeOiad
    I think Pakistan will be well beaten, but a whitewash is pushing it a bit.

If Rana and Rao bowl like they did in Australia they will do fairly well I think. Still, I think Kaneria will struggle a bit against the Indians (like most spinners do), and the Kumble/Harbhajan combo will most likely get a great deal of assistance from the pitches and do well against the Pakistani batsmen, who aren't the world's greatest players of spin. My pick is 2-0 or 2-1.

Well i do expect a bit of fight from Pakistan but still i would pick 2-0 in favour of India.....
    Cricket lives forever....

Quote Originally Posted by Vikas Bhatt
    You echo my sentiments exactly. A team that can't even whitewash Zimbabwe after being 1-0 up, can whitewash Pakistan? We have been s h i t against them for 4 ODIs in a row now! Besides we couldn't even whitewash the Bangals 3-0 in ODIs, let alone whup Pak 3-0 in tests. I think a 2-1 or a 1-1 result is the best probability!

India plays Pakistan WITH A DIFFERENT INTENSITY as compared to when they are playing other countries like Bang and Zimb.

A 3-0 result is possible while playing against a demoralised Pak side without Akhtar. Inititially Inzi and co will all be charged up but soon they will realise that an attack led by Rana's and Rao's doesn't have the skill to really trouble the great Indian batting lineup.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information