• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Spin-backed India can whitewash Shoaib-less Pakistan: Sarfraz

ISLAMABAD: Former pacer Sarfraz Nawaz on Sunday said he feared India’s spin bowlers would whitewash Pakistan in their upcoming cricket tour.

"India will spin roll Pakistan on their turning tracks because they play with three regular spinners, with Virender Sehwag and Sachin Tendulkar as two added tweakers and have the habit of finishing a Test in three days," Sarfraz told AFP.

"Pakistan’s kitty is empty with just one spinner in Danish Kaneria while the other two spinners have been reported for illegal action and if they go without Shoaib Akhtar it would be a 3-0 win for India," Sarfraz reckoned.

Pakistan will play three Tests and five one-day games from February 25 to April 9 on their first tour of India in six years.

Sarfraz said Pakistan’s cricket hierarchy seemed indifferent to the all important tour.

"Pakistan is under pressure after their 3-0 defeat in Australia but it’s surprising there seems no planning, no vision and no preparation for the India tour," Sarfraz said.

He criticised coach Bob Woolmer, who is having knee surgery in South Africa, and the Pakistan trainers for going on holiday ahead of the tour, and ridiculed skipper Inzamam-ul Haq for appearing in an Indian advertisement.

"How would foreigners be interested in Pakistan’s progress, they would muster the wealth and go away. Our captain doesn’t act on the field and is acting in Indian advertisement which is a mockery of the preparation and no one is bothered what they are doing," he stated.

Sarfraz, acclaimed as the pioneer of reverse swing during a career of 55 Tests for Pakistan, taking 177 wickets, said only seamers could turn the tables on India. "If Shoaib Akhtar and Mohammad Sami are fit then we must select them and two more swing bowlers and only they can turn the tables on India because we have not produced quality spinners, no one had bothered to in the recent past," he said.

Pakistan won 1-0 on their 1987 tour with left-arm spinner Iqbal Qasim and off-spinner Tauseef Ahmed sharing eighteen wickets between them in the Bangalore win where the ball spun alarmingly almost throughout the match.

Sarfraz said India without an injured Sachin Tendulkar would still be strong. "Tendulkar would not be missed if he doesn’t play because their real star is Rahul Dravid and other batsmen are capable enough to guide India to big totals," he said.

Pakistan are likely to announce their squad for the India tour on Friday.

Well what is India waiting for? This got to be the opportunity of life time, a chance to whitewash and humiliate the arch rivals, something which India haven't done in more than 50 years!!

Not only would it be win for India but India would gain a huge psychological advantage over Pakistan. If one 6 can help Pakistan to diminish the spirits of Indian team for 5-10 years then a white wash would probably crush the morals of Pakistani team for years to come.

I think India should go all out for turning tracks, taking advantage of home condition is something what India should be looking forward to.

Greg Blewett

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
vandemataram said:
"Pakistan’s kitty is empty with just one spinner in Danish Kaneria while the other two spinners have been reported for illegal action and if they go without Shoaib Akhtar it would be a 3-0 win for India," Sarfraz reckoned.

So it Akhtar even out? I thought he would be fine? Im so confused...

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
The Pakistan team is better off without Akhtar. If he got any more full of himself he'd explode and spurt ego everywhere.

Rana, Rao and Danish will be the workhorses of this tour.

LongHopCassidy said:
The Pakistan team is better off without Akhtar. If he got any more full of himself he'd explode and spurt ego everywhere.

Rana, Rao and Danish will be the workhorses of this tour.
These fellow will work hard but will get hammered.

Without Akhtar Pak attack is impotent, they might get 20 Indian wkts, but not in one match, probably in 2 or even 3!

Vikas Bhatt

Sehwag309 said:
India whitewashing anyone..

I saidb4, even if they are given the chance on a platter...they will screw it up
You echo my sentiments exactly. A team that can't even whitewash Zimbabwe after being 1-0 up, can whitewash Pakistan? We have been s h i t against them for 4 ODIs in a row now! Besides we couldn't even whitewash the Bangals 3-0 in ODIs, let alone whup Pak 3-0 in tests. I think a 2-1 or a 1-1 result is the best probability!

:wacko:

Vikas Bhatt

Sehwag309 said:
I still feel 1-0
Pak team does not look batting equipped for fighting draws, and Indian team is still shaky on the batting front, to score big consistantly. Only rank bad bowling, unpredictable weather or indifferent batting pitches can get you 2 boring draws this time!

Last edited:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Vikas Bhatt said:
Pak team does not look batting equipped for fighting draws, and Indian team is still shaky on the batting front, to score big conistantly. Only rank bad bowling, unpredictable weather or indifferent batting pitches can get you 2 boring draws this time!
I dont think we are going to get draws. There will be results and the margin will be one test this way or that.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
I think Pakistan will be well beaten, but a whitewash is pushing it a bit.

If Rana and Rao bowl like they did in Australia they will do fairly well I think. Still, I think Kaneria will struggle a bit against the Indians (like most spinners do), and the Kumble/Harbhajan combo will most likely get a great deal of assistance from the pitches and do well against the Pakistani batsmen, who aren't the world's greatest players of spin. My pick is 2-0 or 2-1.

dudeurfriend

School Boy/Girl Captain
FaaipDeOiad said:
I think Pakistan will be well beaten, but a whitewash is pushing it a bit.

If Rana and Rao bowl like they did in Australia they will do fairly well I think. Still, I think Kaneria will struggle a bit against the Indians (like most spinners do), and the Kumble/Harbhajan combo will most likely get a great deal of assistance from the pitches and do well against the Pakistani batsmen, who aren't the world's greatest players of spin. My pick is 2-0 or 2-1.

Well i do expect a bit of fight from Pakistan but still i would pick 2-0 in favour of India.....

Vikas Bhatt said:
You echo my sentiments exactly. A team that can't even whitewash Zimbabwe after being 1-0 up, can whitewash Pakistan? We have been s h i t against them for 4 ODIs in a row now! Besides we couldn't even whitewash the Bangals 3-0 in ODIs, let alone whup Pak 3-0 in tests. I think a 2-1 or a 1-1 result is the best probability!

India plays Pakistan WITH A DIFFERENT INTENSITY as compared to when they are playing other countries like Bang and Zimb.

A 3-0 result is possible while playing against a demoralised Pak side without Akhtar. Inititially Inzi and co will all be charged up but soon they will realise that an attack led by Rana's and Rao's doesn't have the skill to really trouble the great Indian batting lineup.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
i think whether or not pakistan have akhtar is irrelevant to the fact that india can whitewash pakistan regardless of akhtar, if pakistan have no akhtar then india will be more than capable of whitewashing pakistan, however even if pakistan do have him then india are still capable of doing so. However the fact that they are capable of this feat does not neccesarily mean that they will achieve it....

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
If Rana and Rao can trouble the Australian top six, then what's to say the volatile Indian ***tet won't be surprised?

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I don't think Rao and Rana will get as much assistance from the Indian wickets.... esp. since the series is happening in peak summer. Unlike in September/October, when the morning session always gave something for the bowlers, in feb/march/april, there will be nil assistance for the seamers. That is one of the reasons for McGrath and Gillespie tasting more success in this tour than the last one. Also remember how Tuffey created lots of problems for the Indians at Mohali in 2003 sep/oct. But the same will definitely not happen in feb/March. Pakistan should either have express pace or class spin and that is why I think Akhtar and Kaneria will be crucial to their success.

Choora

State Regular
honestbharani said:
I don't think Rao and Rana will get as much assistance from the Indian wickets.... esp. since the series is happening in peak summer. Unlike in September/October, when the morning session always gave something for the bowlers, in feb/march/april, there will be nil assistance for the seamers. That is one of the reasons for McGrath and Gillespie tasting more success in this tour than the last one. Also remember how Tuffey created lots of problems for the Indians at Mohali in 2003 sep/oct. But the same will definitely not happen in feb/March. Pakistan should either have express pace or class spin and that is why I think Akhtar and Kaneria will be crucial to their success.
To a large extent i agree with you. All the ppl who think that the rao's and rana's will be Pak hero and will be stars in the series are dead wrong.These guys happen to have a much better attitude (than Akhtar) and plays their hearts out but those guys neither have the pace nor the skill to trouble the best batsman on Indian pitches.

On Danish, i don't think he will be able to get much success in India. A young Saqlain Mushtaq would have been a much better spin option for Pakistan.

warrioryohannan

U19 Cricketer
Interestingly it was a left arm spinner (in Iqbal Qasim) who played a major role in Pakistan test series Victory in India more than ten years back.

Abdul Qadir, a great leggie, was a big flop in that series.