• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The great Sir. Viv....but when?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greg Blewett

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Ok obviously the below movie (its an mpeg) is of Sir Viv Richards hitting a quite amazing six but can anyone tell me when it took place as I would like to know and am not exactly sure.

Richards Six

Thanks to anyone who can help.

Greg Blewett

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Neil Pickup said:
I think it *might* be part of that innings - is it Old Trafford?

I'm really not sure at all......it's from a Viv Richards coaching video my Grandfather gave me 10-15 years ago.

Bouncer

State Regular
Neil! cant belive u think its Old Trafford!! :huh: :huh:

Anyway it was the last ball of the 2nd WC final
Vanue: Lords
Bowler: Mike Handrick
Viv scored 139 or 135 i think, i read about this innings and in particular this last shot for the first time in 6th grade and in 9th grade i watched that innings myself!

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Greg Blewett said:
Ok obviously the below movie (its an mpeg) is of Sir Viv Richards hitting a quite amazing six but can anyone tell me when it took place as I would like to know and am not exactly sure.

Richards Six

It is the last ball of the last over in WIndies innings in the 1979 world cup. I remember it like it was yesterday. :)

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
my god. what a shot!
when he came here he played one magnificent shot to. vivs first ball, a pretty slow bowler, viv steps forward, plays what looks more like a forward defensive than a drive, and the ball sails over the longest boundary on the field. what amazed me was that the shot had absolutely no follow through.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Mike Hendicks bowled the 60th over of the west Indies innings in the final. On the last ball, with Richards batting on 132, he tried to bowl a middle stump yorker, richards anticipating that a yorker/or a low ful toss was coming, moved to the off side, completely exposing his stumps, the ball was just a trifle fuller than yorker length but would be considered impossible to contact from Richards' position but he almost straight drove it over square leg.

It was the most amazing cricket shot we had ever sen in our lives and it was talked of for years after.

Javed's six off Chetan Sharma at Sharjah (and the psychological impact of it) made us think of it more in later years :@

I have seen many others try to play it since Viv in 1979 but the one who brought it off, not as spectacularly as Viv, was Yashpal sharma, again against england and again at the world Cup in the 1983 semi finals. But the ball was fuller.

Last edited:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
amokk1 said:
First time I've seen a shot like that being played. Amazing.
I think you might get a VCD or DVD of the 1979 world cup and see it to your hearts content and believe me it will amaze you every single time !!

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Greg Blewett said:

Richards Six

Here is the site where you can get the DVD of the 1979 world cup and this shot of Viv in the finals. :)
http://www.cricketvideo.com/

Status
Not open for further replies.