• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best All-Rounder

deeps

International 12th Man
flintoff has had one or two gd seasons and hasnt showed much since, wether it be because of injury or otherwise. We will see his true mettle if he's still so big in a year or two

pskov

International 12th Man
deeps said:
flintoff has had one or two gd seasons and hasnt showed much since, wether it be because of injury or otherwise. We will see his true mettle if he's still so big in a year or two
He was excellent with the ball vs SA just gone: 23 wickets @ 24.95

Admittedly his batting wasn't up to the standard of last summer vs WI and NZ, but still reasonable for an 'all rounder' (227 runs @ 28.37). I think that he'll be vital in The Ashes and predict him to come through with flying colours.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
He's not the worst, no, and he is good on a turner, obviously.
But he's not anything exceptional.

Langeveldt

Soutie
marc71178 said:
Kallis with the ball since 2003:

Tests (22) - 34 wickets at 45.5, eco 3.08
ODI's (41) - 28 wickets at 43.5, eco 5.39

Is that what you call potent?
Free your mind..

Thats like me disregarding Flintoff because of his lame start..

kof98

U19 12th Man
In the past Kallis has bowled really well at times. However he seems to have lost both his pace and swing, so at the moment he is nothing special with the ball. Even when he was effective it was usually against weaker teams (i.e. west indies or teams that struggle out of the sub continent) but I don't remember him doing much against Australia, or when conditions have not suited the seamers (i.e. the sub continent).

Langeveldt

Soutie
kof98 said:
In the past Kallis has bowled really well at times. However he seems to have lost both his pace and swing, so at the moment he is nothing special with the ball. Even when he was effective it was usually against weaker teams (i.e. west indies or teams that struggle out of the sub continent) but I don't remember him doing much against Australia, or when conditions have not suited the seamers (i.e. the sub continent).
Do you think he would/could have made the SA team on bowling alone?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Langeveldt said:
Free your mind..

Thats like me disregarding Flintoff because of his lame start..

Difference being that currently Flintoff is performing with both, Kallis quite clearly is not.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
kof98 said:
Because of course there are so many seamers who're capable of bowling well when the conditions don't suit swing and seam, aren't there?
Kallis is not an all-time great bowler, no - but he is one hell of a good bowler when the conditions suit.
Which hasn't actually happened much recently.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
tooextracool said:
further emphasised by his ER in england and NZ.
Because pitch stereotyping is such a wonderful thing, isn't it?
One of the games was against Kenya, so we can forget that, and all-in-all he's played 6 matches in England, 2 of which were on blatant slow "stickers" even if they didn't turn much (Old Trafford 2003, Lord's 2004 v Aus). In 1 of them he got smitten for 39 off 4 overs, in the remaining 3 he got 7-26-1, 10-29-0 and 5-15-1; the last 2 were in games where Ind deeply in the mire (having been put there by the seamers) and where WI were cruising to a simple target and the 1st one was a pretty good spell of bowling.
As for New Zealand, he's bowled 5 spells, and in 3 he went for 4.5-an-over or more; in the other 2 he got 10-28-2 (don't know what the pitch was like but the successful bowlers suggest it was pretty slow and low) and 4.5-19-1 as NZ were again cruising to an incredibly easy target.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Langeveldt said:
Do you think he would/could have made the SA team on bowling alone?
I don't really think so - when he was bowling well there were a phalanx of other seamers who were doing even better, and obviously he wouldn't make any side on his current form.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
And, more significantly, they can try to make me sound bad with anything.
Don't succeed, though - ever.