• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ideal ODI Indian Squad

Gangster

U19 12th Man
Here's my ideal ODI Squad:

With Ganguly retiring from ODIs to concentrate on tests, the ODI captaincy is given to Rahul Dravid, with Virender Sehwag as his vice captain. Shikhar Dhawan is drafted in as the opener and Mahendra Dhoni as the wicketkeeper, freeing Dravid. Here's my ideal lineup:

Shikhar Dhawan
Mahendra Dhoni+
Rahul Dravid*
Sachin Tendulkar
Virender Sehwag
Mohammed Kaif
Yuvraj Singh
Irfan Pathan
Zaheer Khan
Lakshmipathy Balaji
Harbhajan Singh

There are four full-time bowlers, with three part-time spin options in Tendulkar's leg spin, Sehwag's off spin and Yuvraj's left arm orthodox spin. Of course they won't have to combine for more than 10 overs. Pathan and Balaji should share the new ball, and Zaheer should come in as first change, and Harbhajan after the fielding restrictions are removed after 15 overs. I think this is a real good team. Yuvraj at 7 plays the role that Kemp and Afridi do now, that is to accelerate the scoring in the last 5-10 overs. Sehwag has said he doesn't like opening in ODIs, and Tendulkar has had success batting lower down. Dravid can come in at #3 now that he wouldn't have to keep. Dhawan and Dhoni have shown their abilities in domestic matches and seem a pair to watch out for, and Dhoni seems perfectly suited to ODIs, and his keeping is solid as well. Kaif at 6 is good as he can play the second anchor role to ground the team in case of a collapse. (Dravid playing the first anchor at #3).

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I am not sure about Dhawan, maybe have Sachin still opening and have someone else in the side, but otherwise it looks good.

amokk1

U19 12th Man
Is Ganguly really retiring from ODI? Is is official ? Or was it just a scenario of your IDEAL side?

cricket player

International Debutant
How many threads are we going to have about this damn india squad.No matter what kind os squad you would pick is not going to be the real squad.

Gangster

U19 12th Man
cricket player said:
How many threads are we going to have about this damn india squad.No matter what kind os squad you would pick is not going to be the real squad.
Maybe we should have one about the Pakistani squad. Let me suggest a good one:

An Idiot
A Moron
A Dildo
A Jackass
A Queer
A Bitch
An *******
A Jerkoff
A Dork
A Spazz
A Fag

Good squad, eh?

Deja moo

International Captain
WTF ?

cp had a point there. Do a search and you'll find innumerable threads about the Indian team.

rehanyazdani

Cricket Spectator
Gangster said:

An Idiot
A Moron
A Dildo
A Jackass
A Queer
A Bitch
An *******
A Jerkoff
A Dork
A Spazz
A Fag

Good squad, eh?
come on man, i think u should be a little nice. you're trying to start something here. as far as this topic goes, i think india face the same dilemma pakistan has, no solid opening pair. i think they should go for the dependable ganguly-tendulkar pair. i think they did well.

Gangster

U19 12th Man
rehanyazdani said:
come on man, i think u should be a little nice. you're trying to start something here. as far as this topic goes, i think india face the same dilemma pakistan has, no solid opening pair. i think they should go for the dependable ganguly-tendulkar pair. i think they did well.
Yes, I'm sorry, I got carried away. I apologize. I have shown respect for the Pakistani team before and defended them numerous times.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Gangster said:
Yes, I'm sorry, I got carried away. I apologize. I have shown respect for the Pakistani team before and defended them numerous times.
Well Done, Gangster, for accepting your mistake.

Very well done rehanyazdani for reacting so maturely. I wish others would learn from this exchange.

I salute the two of you.
:notworthy :notworthy :notworthy

amokk1

U19 12th Man
The only time the Indian Squad will be ideal is when the selectors have the guts to drop players who don't perform. Shewag is a hit and miss opening the ODI, is there anyone else in India who can open consistently instead of Shewag?

Ganguly's form of late has been rubbish, but the selectors don't have the guts to drop him and try a different talent? Look @ Matthew Hayden, one poor series and he was axed, Ganguly can have 100 poor series..and still be in contention.

The bowling department for India is hopeless. The selectors keep changing bowlers every match, there is no consistency. It's also suprising how India use lower order teams to practise new talent. If they play against Zimbabwe, we'll send Patel to open the batting, just incase he can do something. If they play against Bangaldesh, we'll leave Pathan out and give someone else a go. I don't mind seening new faces being given a go, but the bottom line is that India are like right at the bottom of the ODI rankings.

I suggest, they should get themselves organized, before they give others a go. The whole management needs a lift. The Selectors need to show that if you can't perform, you are out. But, when they start dropping Laxman ahead of Ganguly or any bowler for Ajit Agarkar, there is something very wrong.

That's how I Feel.

cricket player

International Debutant
Gangster said:

An Idiot
A Moron
A Dildo
A Jackass
A Queer
A Bitch
An *******
A Jerkoff
A Dork
A Spazz
A Fag

Good squad, eh?
You represent the true face of an american.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
1. Tendulkar
2. Sehwag
3. Dravis
4. Kaif
5. Yuvraj
6. Ganguly
7. Dhoni
8. Pathan
9. Balaji
10. Nehra
11 Harbhajan/Kumble/Kartik

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
cricket player said:
I think ganguly should be sended before kaif.
Of late Ganguly has slowed down at the top. He might come in handy lower down with his clean big hitting and he can guide the lower order in case the other seniors are gone.

Its a good idea to have some experience lower down. It always help. Unfortunately we only have Kumble who isnt much of a bat.

If we had someone like Moin Khan to come lower it would have been okay. Today it is a whole lot of youngsters and you need someone to calm things down and take charge of the situation with maturity while being able to score briskly himself. Ganguly fits that beautifully.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Also I feel Kaif has arrived. And he is mature. He also combines very well with Dravid. At 3 and 4 they make a very formidable pair. We need to groom Kaif who could turn out to be India's next star and captain in waiting. Plus he will keep the strike rotating. At the top India as too many boundary hits PLUS a lot of dot balls. This needs to be changed, not by reducing the boundaries but taking more singles and twos.

cricket player

International Debutant
SJS said:
Of late Ganguly has slowed down at the top. He might come in handy lower down with his clean big hitting and he can guide the lower order in case the other seniors are gone.

Its a good idea to have some experience lower down. It always help. Unfortunately we only have Kumble who isnt much of a bat.

If we had someone like Moin Khan to come lower it would have been okay. Today it is a whole lot of youngsters and you need someone to calm things down and take charge of the situation with maturity while being able to score briskly himself. Ganguly fits that beautifully.
I disagree :)

Ganguly take's his time before he goes for the big one's.So you might want him to bat up the order and keep the momentum going rather then lower order.

amokk1

U19 12th Man
Just Let Ganguly open the innings. Over there, he has 15 overs to play the big shots and also knows he needs to get the team off to the quick start, thus making him score quicker. If anything man, Shewag should be sent to number 7.

Ganguly -- Flying Start
Tendulkar -- Flying Start
Dravid -- Build Innings
Kaif -- Build Innings
Laxman -- Build Innings
Shewag -- Go Crazy
Singh -- Go Psycho

Khan
Pathan
Kumble/Balaji/Nehra/Agarkar..whom ever can bowl.
Singh

Problem solved. hehehe

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
amokk1 said:
Just Let Ganguly open the innings. Over there, he has 15 overs to play the big shots and also knows he needs to get the team off to the quick start, thus making him score quicker. If anything man, Shewag should be sent to number 7.

Ganguly -- Flying Start
Tendulkar -- Flying Start
Dravid -- Build Innings
Kaif -- Build Innings
Laxman -- Build Innings
Shewag -- Go Crazy
Singh -- Go Psycho

Khan
Pathan
Kumble/Balaji/Nehra/Agarkar..whom ever can bowl.
Singh

Problem solved. hehehe
:D

I think Dravid is not going to keep any more. So one batsman (Laxman or Kaif) will have to be dropped.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
SJS said:
1. Tendulkar
2. Sehwag
3. Dravis
4. Kaif
5. Yuvraj
6. Ganguly
7. Dhoni
8. Pathan
9. Balaji
10. Nehra
11 Harbhajan/Kumble/Kartik
I'd go with that, except swap Laxman for Kaif depending on form.
I don't see how people are saying Ganguly has been in bad form. His form has been no worse than the rest of the team! In fact, in ODIs since the Asia Cup, Ganguly has made 605 runs at 37.8 - hardly terrible. His strike rate has been a bit low at 66.12, but often Ganguly has had to play the anchor role due to the non-performance of the rest of the team. He is definitely not past it in the OD game.