• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Bodyline - Historical Fiction

membersstand

State Vice-Captain
I'm trying to find a historical fiction novel based on the Bodyline series for a history assignment. Can anyone think of a book (or more) which would be suitable and available ?

Scallywag

Banned
membersstand said:
I'm trying to find a historical fiction novel based on the Bodyline series for a history assignment. Can anyone think of a book (or more) which would be suitable and available ?
Just ask C_C he knows all.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
There's a film mini-series starring Hugo Weaving (Jardine) and Gary Sweet (Bradman) called, funnily enough, Bodyline. I believe it is quite possible to find copies of this still.

Not sure about novels though, sorry.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
membersstand said:
There is a book called

Bodyline - The Novel
by Paul Wheeler.

It is brilliant. Try to get it if you can.

If you were in Bombay, I would have loaned it to you.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
FaaipDeOiad said:
There's a film mini-series starring Hugo Weaving (Jardine) and Gary Sweet (Bradman) called, funnily enough, Bodyline. I believe it is quite possible to find copies of this still.

Is it possible to get it in on DVD the northern hemisphere, do you know? Can't think why you would know, but if you don't ask.... :D

I saw that mini-series when I was a kid & enjoyed it tremendously. I know it's supposed to play a bit fast-&-loose with the truth (Jardine v much the villian, with Lord Harris the power-behind-the-throne & Gubby Allen and Nawab the saintly dissenters) & now having read a bit on the subject I'd love to see it again.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
BoyBrumby said:
Is it possible to get it in on DVD the northern hemisphere, do you know? Can't think why you would know, but if you don't ask.... :D
I'm not sure, really. I would be surprised if it was on DVD, as I've really only seen it on old videos and so forth, but you never know.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Plenty of old films are released on DVD, but it'd have to be pretty well-known. This, I presume, wouldn't be.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Richard said:
Plenty of old films are released on DVD, but it'd have to be pretty well-known. This, I presume, wouldn't be.
I hate to play the age card; but it was quite well-known, infamous almost back in the day.

It was released in the wake of renewed interest following the 50th anniversary of Bodyline. I suspect I must've seen it repeated, 'cos I remember it quite well & I'd have been too young (honestly!) to appreciate it in 1983!

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
In that case there's probably as much chance of it being DVD'd as there is of The Big Sleep (which is available on DVD).
In fact, it sounds fascinating, that - a film about Bodyline...

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Anyone else think, upon seeing the thread title, that someone was about to do a historical revisionist account of Bodyline along the lines of Holocaust deniers?

;)

Camel56

Banned
FaaipDeOiad said:

lol Gary Sweet as Bradman. Theyve really gone top shelf there havnt they? His acting ability is right up there with John "Ive got nothing to live for anyway" Wood.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Top_Cat said:
Anyone else think, upon seeing the thread title, that someone was about to do a historical revisionist account of Bodyline along the lines of Holocaust deniers?

;)
I have to say that was my first thought!

& everyone knows Larwood & Voce were only obeying orders from the evil Oberleutenant Von Jardine anyway! :D

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Top_Cat said:

;)
Err... no, not me. :mellow:

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Top_Cat said:

;)
Yeah, I thought that as well.

Slow Love™

International Captain
Camel56 said:
lol Gary Sweet as Bradman. Theyve really gone top shelf there havnt they? His acting ability is right up there with John "Ive got nothing to live for anyway" Wood.
Hahaha... I've been laughing at that "I've got nothing to live for anyway." ad for weeks now. Back in the day though (when he still had hair), Sweet wasn't so camp and full of himself, and wasn't too bad an actor (not sure I can say the same for Wood though).

Having Lex Marinos as a co-director did nothing to avoid the "cheesy Aussie actors" quotient either, but "Bodyline" was actually fairly decent, as I remember - I haven't seen it since the 80's though.

I don't think it's available on DVD (or video, if it's not second-hand, at least).

Slow Love™

International Captain
Just noticed (in case anybody's still interested in this) that the Aussie Bodyline miniseries with Sweet and Weaving has just been re-released in Australia as a 3 DVD set, for around $45.00AU - don't know about it's status in the UK though.