• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Lehmann left out of Australian touring squad

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Richard said:
In which case he really should have retired from ODIs - it's a crying shame for a player as good as him to be dropped on 3 bad innings.
I think it's a fallacy to suggest that he was dropped because of three innings alone. Firstly I think this is the end of his international career as a whole, he won't play a test or an ODI again, and Katich will get his test place (or potentially Watson). Secondly, even if he is only dropped from ODIs, his test form no doubt had a bearing on it.

He may have played reasonably well over the same period of time on ODIs, btu the fact that he had a terrible tour of India and a poor home summer in the tests, AS WELL as a fairly average period in the ODIs at the end of the summer was what lead to him being dropped. There's no way on earth the selectors are going to say "well he's obviously out of form and unlikely to return to his best ever again in tests, but he's been decent on ODIs so lets ignore that for now". Obviously he had been on notice since the tour to India, and when he was left out of the Sydney test it was clear his last shot at redeeming himself as an international cricketer was in the VB series, where he did okay but not brilliantly.

I agree that it's sad that he went out the way that he did, but the two forms of the game do not exist in seperate worlds, and general poor form is always going to be recognised as just that - general. Don't think for a second that Hayden being dropped from the VB series final was based solely on his performance in the proceeding ODIs, it too was related to his poor test performances in recent times.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
There is little in the two game-forms that can reliably attest to something in the other - anyone who tries to form too many links is playing a very, very dangerous game.

Eclipse

International Debutant
Richard said:
The day Cameron White plays for Australia will be a sure sign the crown has slipped!
I would have said so a while ago as well, but he is improving noticable...I can see him getting there actually.

J.Coney

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
i understand when s.waugh was playing he didn't like lehmann in the team, i can't see why lehmann out lasted m.bevan anyhow. bevan was a great batsmen and won many matches for australia even when they had dug the deepest hole for him to climb out of. why drop bevan when it surely should have been a player or two ahead of him in the order that put bevan into those worse case scenarios to begin with?

cricket player

International Debutant
Lehmann is a peace of garbage.He is a sitting duck.He doesnt do well and he expects the selectors to still keep him in that australian line up.Oh no lehmann that aint going to happen bro.It is do or die.You either perform well or either you dont and unfortunately lehmann did not perfrome well and he will be taken out.

The guy is over 30 and This damn australian team needs some youngsters beside's clarke.Soon mcgrath and shane warne will retire who would you think will carry on the teams performs a bunch of 40 year olds.Time to bring some new blood who ever they pick i am sure he will performe well.

But as of now this is the end of the thread.I explain ever thing that needed to be.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
cricket player said:
The guy is over 30 and This damn australian team needs some youngsters beside's clarke.Soon mcgrath and shane warne will retire who would you think will carry on the teams performs a bunch of 40 year olds.Time to bring some new blood who ever they pick i am sure he will performe well.

But as of now this is the end of the thread.I explain ever thing that needed to be.
Australia need some youngster but Mike Hussey isn't a youngster anymore, i think he is 29 or something. I'm sure in a couple year we will be saying the same thing that we are saying about Lehmann, he is too old and needs to be replaced. Where are all these youngsters in Australia, the same age as Clarke. I see some massive problems in Australia cricket after the next WC when most of their side retires or is past their best. Even the new guys coming into the Australian team aren't young. All guys like Mike Hussey will be are short term fixes for a long term problem. I think this might of be an oppurtunity to blood another young guy the age of Clarke. Guys like North are probably not ready but either was Clarke when he first got a go. The Australian selectors missed a big oppuritunity that they might regret later on.

amokk1

U19 12th Man
chaminda_00 said:
Australia need some youngster but Mike Hussey isn't a youngster anymore, i think he is 29 or something. I'm sure in a couple year we will be saying the same thing that we are saying about Lehmann, he is too old and needs to be replaced. Where are all these youngsters in Australia, the same age as Clarke. I see some massive problems in Australia cricket after the next WC when most of their side retires or is past their best. Even the new guys coming into the Australian team aren't young. All guys like Mike Hussey will be are short term fixes for a long term problem. I think this might of be an oppurtunity to blood another young guy the age of Clarke. Guys like North are probably not ready but either was Clarke when he first got a go. The Australian selectors missed a big oppuritunity that they might regret later on.
Is really possible for Australia to keep that much young talent in their hands ? You make it sound like, they have gifted 20yr olds at their freedom. Maybe that's why Australia is so successful. They just don't bring any 20 yr old into the side. If the talent is a good one, they will invest. Otherwise they will stick to the old guns, like Katich and Lehman. Even, a person like Gilchrist got this test debuts in his late 20''s, while India is churning out 17 yr old wicket keepres every series and realizing how misrably they fail.

Last edited:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
J.Coney said:
i understand when s.waugh was playing he didn't like lehmann in the team, i can't see why lehmann out lasted m.bevan anyhow. bevan was a great batsmen and won many matches for australia even when they had dug the deepest hole for him to climb out of. why drop bevan when it surely should have been a player or two ahead of him in the order that put bevan into those worse case scenarios to begin with?
I have always wondered why Lehmann is rated so highly by Aussies and not by others.

Maybe it is this 'in-your-face' attitude of his. He comes out like a very agressive, defiant, ready-for-a-scrap guy which, maybe just maybe, appeals to the Australian public while others may find him a bit too much ??

cricket player

International Debutant
amokk1 said:
Is really possible for Australia to keep have that much youung talent in their side ? You make it sound like, they have gifted 20yr olds at their freedom. Maybe that's why Australia is so successful. They just don't bring any 20 yr old into the side. If the talent is a good one, they will invest. Otherwise they will stick to the old guns, like Katich.

But how much do you think the old gun will last?when hayden was at his 20s he was far more impressive then he is now but yet again there was no place for him in the team.He had to wait for 6 or 7 years to get in the team.

That is the reason darren lehmann is doing so poorly.He is more then 30 years old but still playing cricket.If you take a look at michel hussey he is also old but he is a good player.He wasnt drafted into the team when he was at his young age but why?He had the same talent and more stamina.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
amokk1 said:
Is really possible for Australia to keep that much young talent in their hands ? You make it sound like, they have gifted 20yr olds at their freedom. Maybe that's why Australia is so successful. They just don't bring any 20 yr old into the side. If the talent is a good one, they will invest. Otherwise they will stick to the old guns, like Katich and Lehman. Even, a person like Gilchrist got this test debuts in his late 20''s, while India is churning out 17 yr old wicket keepres every series and realizing how misrably they fail.
All i'm saying is that someone like Mike Hussey will only be in the Australian team for 4 to 5 years, if that. If Australia want to stay on top of the world after the next world cup then they need to start developing a side that can dominate cricket after the current players retire or get dumped. By picking youngsters now they can develop their game while guys like Warne, McGarth, Ponting and Martyn are still their, rather then come in as their replacements.

cricket player

International Debutant
chaminda_00 said:
All i'm saying is that someone like Mike Hussey will only be in the Australian team for 4 to 5 years, if that. If Australia want to stay on top of the world after the next world cup then they need to start developing a side that can dominate cricket after the current players retire or get dumped. By picking youngsters now they can develop their game while guys like Warne, McGarth, Ponting and Martyn are still their, rather then come in as their replacements.

There are so many good player's.If even a good player doesnt perform will he will automatically will be taken out because there are alot of good players.

amokk1

U19 12th Man
Isn't they what they are doing at the moment though?

Micheal Clarke, Watson in the current one day side. And James Hope set to make his debut against New Zealeand. They are grooming Shuan Tait and Cameroon White and they also have Ronchi who can replace Adam Gilchrist. Nathan Hauritz was given a chance against India to give him some exposure. They young guns are being given a go.

I mean, it's already tough enough to come into the Australia side I don't think Australia wouldn't want to drop most/all their players to get new blood in.

The think with Australia, now they don't even have to worry. They can just drop a player and bring someone in and he will perform. eg, Katich. When they dropped MJ Slater for Langer, He gunned it.

They got lot of talent man. They don't even need to worry about age.

cricket player

International Debutant
amokk1 said:

Micheal Clarke, Watson in the current one day side. And James Hope set to make his debut against New Zealeand. They are grooming Shuan Tait and Cameroon White and they also have Ronchi who can replace Adam Gilchrist. Nathan Hauritz was given a chance against India to give him some exposure. They young guns are being given a go.

I mean, it's already tough enough to come into the Australia side I don't think Australia wouldn't want to drop most/all their players to get new blood in.

The think with Australia, now they don't even have to worry. They can just drop a player and bring someone in and he will perform. eg, Katich. When they dropped MJ Slater for Langer, He gunned it.

That is what west indies thought perhaps being safe for age's :)

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
amokk1 said:

If they are bring in young talent then why pick Mike Hussey over the young batsmen going around in Australia. If Rochi is next in line as the Australian keeper then why play Haddin in the ODIs in front of Rouchi. The Windies back in the 80s thought they had so much talent and they didn't need to worry about age and we all know what happen to them in the 90s and the current decade.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
cricket player said:
But how much do you think the old gun will last?when hayden was at his 20s he was far more impressive then he is now but yet again there was no place for him in the team.
You what?!

amokk1

U19 12th Man
Fair enough bro. I do believe myself that Australian team will never be the same once Warne and Mcgrath retire. Isn't that the reason India managed to pull a draw in the last series aainst them in Australia, but crumbled when Warne an MCgrath cameback and beat em @ home.

Time will tell though.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
amokk1 said:
Fair enough bro. I do believe myself that Australian team will never be the same once Warne and Mcgrath retire. Isn't that the reason India managed to pull a draw in the last series aainst them in Australia, but crumbled when Warne an MCgrath cameback and beat em @ home.

Time will tell though.
They could be as good if the young guys are regulars in the team once McGarth, warne and others guys retire

Andre

International Regular
chaminda_00 said:
They could be as good if the young guys are regulars in the team once McGarth, warne and others guys retire
But with Gillespie and Lee also likely to be around, what do you want the selectors to do? Discard clearly superior players in the hope that someone with talent in their little finger turns into a world-beater? I don't see a point in that.

The Australian selectors have by-and-large done an excellent job in seemless transitions over a number of years now. While I'm disappointed to see Boof go, Mike Hussey offers the side another 4 to 6 years of service, and the ability to bat a number of places in the order and bowl decent medium pace. 29 certainly isn't old in cricketing terms, and even if he does last only 4 years, the young prodigy of today that people are calling for ahead of Mike will be far closer to the complete product as a cricketer that is required and expected to take their place in the Australian side.

If anyone can give me a reason to select a young player at the detriment of the side, I'm interested to hear it. At the end of the day, the selectors are paid to do a job - pick the best avaliable squad for each and every match. They do a fair job of this, as their records suggest. Because, you see, if that young player of tomorrow is showing the talent to be a superstar, let him show it over a number of seasons... International cricket is all about consistency. Had Clarke been thrown into the Test side before India, it is fair to say he certainly would not have been such an outstanding success because he turned out a better player for the time he was out of the side - he learnt to bide his time and tightened his game significantly - even from his ODI debut, he looks a significantly more complete batsman now.

If you look through some of the recent top cricketers in the Australian side, their time in the wilderness ensured they returned as fitter, hungier and most importantly better and more polished cricketers - take Steve Waugh, Hayden, Langer, Ponting, Martyn (the ideal case-in point of not selecting a youngster with oodles of talent before his time), Lehmann, Katich, Kasprowicz, Bichel, Symonds, Lehmann, Harvey and possibly even Brett Lee to name a few off the top of my head.

Once these men returned to the side, they were all in the best XI because they were within those XI best players in the country - and in my opinion, the day that the Australian selectors stop selecting the best avaliable players in the country is the day that the much - (overly, pedantically, irrationally) hyped slide will come into place.

BTW: Australian cricket was never supposed to survive the retirement of the Waugh brothers, was it?

Last edited: