Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Lehmann left out of Australian touring squad

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Mister Wright's Avatar
    Burger Time Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by tooextracool
    another reason why the aussie selectors are a joke.....it takes them 3 bad games to drop lehmann, and an infinite number of games to drop hayden.

Hayden was dropped from the team before Lehmann you goose. He has been retained in the squad because they can see that he is only one good innings away from a good score and is younger than Lehmann, at least he hasn't played immature innings like Lehmann.

And I must agree that the Aussie selectors are a joke considering we have won the last 2 World Cups and made the final of the one before and have (IIRC) beaten every test team away and home (except India at home which was a draw).
    Cricketweb Colts Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    Hayden > Lehmann
    I'm a member of Club Kerry

I'm Green

The color of immortality, nature and envy - you are truly a unique person. While clearly the color of nature, you also symbolize rebirth, fertility and hope in the world. On the other side of the spectrum, a natural aptitude to money with green coming to signify money and possibly even *********!

International Captain LongHopCassidy's Avatar
    The Australian selectors chop and change a LOT less than any other team.

If Pakistan brought two bright sparks on a tour would anyone start a thread about it?

It's this consistency that keeps Australia at the top.
    "The Australian cricket captain is the Prime Minister Australia wishes it had. Steve Waugh is that man, Michael Clarke is not." - Jarrod Kimber

RIP Fardin Qayyumi and Craig Walsh - true icons of CricketWeb.

International Vice-Captain Linda's Avatar
    Hopes is a good choice, imo. His figures really dont do him justice.

As for Hussey over Lehmann, well come on, we all knew it was coming. Hopefully Lehmann can still make the Test side (I certainly dont doubt he can), they arnt neally as concerned about age in the longer version as the shorter.
    Bit surprised that it was Hussey, but a really nice surprise, and he thoroughly deserves it! I guess they are seriously considering him for an Ashes tour, because his form in that country is nothing short of spectacular.

"I know I underperformed but after the past 18 months I thought I might have received more than four Test matches' grace."
    - DR Martyn.

"Is there any way to make it longer?"
    Peter English on Twenty20

Official Face of the v. hip 'Twenty20 Is Boring Society'

I'm a little surprised Cameron White wasn't picked ahead of Hussey as he has had a pretty good season and he could take Lehmann's bowling spot.
    Only two states to be in - Queensland and drunk.

Quote Originally Posted by FaaipDeOiad
    What? D. Hussey isn't even IN the Victorian side at the moment,
    *D.Hussey is not in the Victorian PURA CUP side at the moment

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Wright
    Considering David Hussey can't even make the Victorian side
    *David Hussey can't make the Victorian PURA CUP side.

School Boy/Girl Cricketer Vikas Bhatt's Avatar
    Lets face facts. Boof is the fattest cricketer on the scene at the moment and well past his prime. With Katich and even Hayden now warming the reserve seats, perhaps the time has come for Boof to retire! His time is up. Why is it so difficult to accept for some Sozzies! He was lucky he got to play the number of games he got to play. Look at Stuart Law. Despite being on par with the best in his day, guy never got to go as far as he should have!

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Mister Wright's Avatar
    Burger Time Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh
    *David Hussey can't make the Victorian PURA CUP side.
    But Mike Hussey & James Hopes can make both sides.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mavric41
    I'm a little surprised Cameron White wasn't picked ahead of Hussey as he has had a pretty good season and he could take Lehmann's bowling spot.
    The day Cameron White plays for Australia will be a sure sign the crown has slipped!
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Sam
    Lehman's already said he won't be around for the world cup.
    In which case he really should have retired from ODIs - it's a crying shame for a player as good as him to be dropped on 3 bad innings.

Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    In which case he really should have retired from ODIs - it's a crying shame for a player as good as him to be dropped on 3 bad innings.
    I think it's a fallacy to suggest that he was dropped because of three innings alone. Firstly I think this is the end of his international career as a whole, he won't play a test or an ODI again, and Katich will get his test place (or potentially Watson). Secondly, even if he is only dropped from ODIs, his test form no doubt had a bearing on it.

He may have played reasonably well over the same period of time on ODIs, btu the fact that he had a terrible tour of India and a poor home summer in the tests, AS WELL as a fairly average period in the ODIs at the end of the summer was what lead to him being dropped. There's no way on earth the selectors are going to say "well he's obviously out of form and unlikely to return to his best ever again in tests, but he's been decent on ODIs so lets ignore that for now". Obviously he had been on notice since the tour to India, and when he was left out of the Sydney test it was clear his last shot at redeeming himself as an international cricketer was in the VB series, where he did okay but not brilliantly.

I agree that it's sad that he went out the way that he did, but the two forms of the game do not exist in seperate worlds, and general poor form is always going to be recognised as just that - general. Don't think for a second that Hayden being dropped from the VB series final was based solely on his performance in the proceeding ODIs, it too was related to his poor test performances in recent times.

There is little in the two game-forms that can reliably attest to something in the other - anyone who tries to form too many links is playing a very, very dangerous game.

Cricketer Of The Year Mr Casson's Avatar
    Oooooooooooooooooooooo!! *ghoulish music plays*

Nah Richard, there are plenty of correllations.
    'Copperfield,' said Mr. Micawber, 'farewell! Every happiness and prosperity! If, in the progress of revolving years, I could persuade myself that my blighted destiny had been a warning to you, I should feel that I had not occupied another man's place in existence altogether in vain.
    - Wilkins Micawber

International Debutant
    The day Cameron White plays for Australia will be a sure sign the crown has slipped!
    I would have said so a while ago as well, but he is improving noticable...I can see him getting there actually.

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
    i understand when s.waugh was playing he didn't like lehmann in the team, i can't see why lehmann out lasted m.bevan anyhow. bevan was a great batsmen and won many matches for australia even when they had dug the deepest hole for him to climb out of. why drop bevan when it surely should have been a player or two ahead of him in the order that put bevan into those worse case scenarios to begin with?

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information