• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best Part-Time Bowlers

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
zinzan12 said:
Probably a fair call, however totally depends on the defination of "part-time" because in ODI's i'd consider Jaya to be an allrounder
Defination of part time bowler in my opinion, someone who bowls less then 6 overs a game in ODIs or 10 overs a game in Test. I would say Jaysuriya just fits into that defination.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
^Jayasuriya on average bowls more than 6 overs per game in ODIs...
333 matches, 2032.4 overs - comes out to 6.1 overs per game.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Dasa said:
^Jayasuriya on average bowls more than 6 overs per game in ODIs...
333 matches, 2032.4 overs - comes out to 6.1 overs per game.
That is close enough mate, also u have to remember that recently he bowls less overs.

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
Gayle and Symonds bowl too often to be considered part time

1. Jayasuriya
2. Astle
3. Blewett
4. Clarke

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Pinkline Jones said:
Thanks for clearing that up Richard, how utterly profound "You Can't Take Wickets if you don't Bowl Overs", yes and you can't get hold of your dole money if you don't complete the paper work. Deary deary me.
Hardly profound - I'd say it's pretty basic. Very basic, in fact - still, I'd not expect one of your limited (or you could say non-existent if you preferred) cricket knowledge to understand.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
chaminda_00 said:
Jaysuriya is the best part time bowlers their every has been. Their is no one that comes close to him.
I'd certainly argue that he's an all-rounder in ODIs - I'd always have him and Murali bowling at the death.
Really never have understood why Sri Lanka ever bother picking a fifth-bowler when he's available with his batting.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
James90 said:
Gayle and Symonds bowl too often to be considered part time

1. Jayasuriya
2. Astle
3. Blewett
4. Clarke
Gayle bowls well - quite often, in fact. Symonds might bowl often but he mostly bowls crap and gets hammered.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Richard said:
If Nathan Astle's knees ever allow him to bowl regularly again I'll be gobsmacked.
I am delighted - if gobsmacked.
Not only has he bowled 9 overs in the 2 ODIs, he's been the 2nd-best bowler. :)

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
chaminda_00 said:
Jaysuriya is the best part time bowlers their every has been. Their is no one that comes close to him.
No, but then how many people had the luxury of being captain and choosing when they bowl (ie when the tail is in)

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
chaminda_00 said:
That is close enough mate, also u have to remember that recently he bowls less overs.
Maybe because he's not captain so can't bring himself on for cheap wickets?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Jayasuriya - 334 ODIs
Jayasuriya as captain - 118 ODIs
Jayasuriya - 2033.4 ODI overs
Jayasuriya as captain - 718 ODI overs
That means that soon less than 1\3 of his overs will have been bowled when he wasn't captain.
I don't think it makes quite as much difference as you seem to think.