cricket betting betway blog banner small
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 29-6

Banned

29-6

More and More teams are starting to feel the heat..is it just a coincidence?

Bowden turns down Woolmer umpiring appeal

Request Your Custom Title Now! Zinzan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sehwag309
    More and More teams are starting to feel the heat..is it just a coincidence?

Bowden turns down Woolmer umpiring appeal
    Its been known for years and years, but no-one had the guts to come out and say what Woolmer has just stated. I've suggested it once on this forum and got absolutely shot down by Scallywag and a few others. I wasn't actually stating they (the umpires) were cheats, just that they seem to crumble under the pressure in favour of the home side in Australia.

Having said that, I think ALL home teams seem to get the rub of the green with the close calls, but none as much as Australia.

They are hard enough to beat anyway...without having decisions going against you by 5 to 1

Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar

The problem is that some people do not take this as a criticism of the umpires. They seem to take it as an affront to their cricket team .
    Millhouse: you know when your dog ate my goldfish bart and you told me i never had a goldfish, then why did i have the bowl bart! why did i have the bowl!!!!
    Karthik_moo@hotmail.com
    Member of the MSC and the AAAS
    Wanna Search ?
    Waughney : We are well taken care of here at the Rehab centre.

Banned
    The best part is it still goes one. Scallywag is just 1 member..doesn't matter if he/she agrees or not

But I appreciate Woolmer coming out and saying. When India complained, not officially, everyone laughed including Pakistanis. Now they felt the pinch, I am glad he came out and spoke...

Not sure, if this nonsense will stop or not, but its getting more and more visible in the umpiring decisions

Request Your Custom Title Now! Zinzan's Avatar
    Of course Bowden (and any international umpire) is going to reject Woolmers Claims. He's hardly going to agree is he...

Banned
    Coz bowden gave Hayden out in he 1st game..so he did his job for the rest for the game

International Vice-Captain Dasa's Avatar
    I'd be interested to see how these comments would be recieved had they come from John Buchanan rather than Bob Woolmer...

U19 12th Man
    I agree with the central idea..ie, that close calls tend to favor the home team.

I'm not really sure how this would hold up as 'Australia gains more', but I'd be interested to see a study on the whole topic.

I do have a problem with the numbers though, because they were compiled by an affected group..Let's face it, supporters of different teams have a tendancy to call different things 'close'. I'm sure people in the Australian team could do a similar study, on the same series and get different numbers..I would doubt both results.

I would think a neutral observer would come up with a figure of ~3-1. Of course, this still isn't acceptable.

The only solution I can think of would be for the umpires to review all such decisions after each match/series. I would hope they already do something like this.

NB. Until technology can be done in real time ( <5 seconds ) with very good accuracy (99%+) I don't consider it a solution. For those who talk about hawkeye, at the recent Australian open tennis, the slow motions replays seemed to disagree with it on several occasions, and the cameras for it are a lot close to the action than they would be in cricket and arguably were performing a simpler task.

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zinzan12
    Its been known for years and years, but no-one had the guts to come out and say what Woolmer has just stated.
    All he's said is that of the close calls 29 have gone one way 6 have gone the other.

Is it out of the realms of possibility that most of those 29 were actually good calls?
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dasa
    I'd be interested to see how these comments would be recieved had they come from John Buchanan rather than Bob Woolmer...
    What do you mean by that?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Sehwag309
    Coz bowden gave Hayden out in he 1st game..so he did his job for the rest for the game
    And that

International Vice-Captain Dasa's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by marc71178
    What do you mean by that?
    I have a feeling many people would be a bit more open to criticism if it came from Buchanan. There's a significant divide in cricket between the subcontinent and those outside. If the comments were to come from someone outside (i.e. Buchanan), they'd be well-recieved I think. Whatever people say, the fact that there is a perception that subcontinental teams are hard done by when it comes to umpiring decisions and the like must stem from somewhere. We don't complain for the sake of complaining. However, I suspect many people would rather dismiss these problems than deal with them.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dasa
    I have a feeling many people would be a bit more open to criticism if it came from Buchanan. There's a significant divide in cricket between the subcontinent and those outside. If the comments were to come from someone outside (i.e. Buchanan), they'd be well-recieved I think. Whatever people say, the fact that there is a perception that subcontinental teams are hard done by when it comes to umpiring decisions and the like must stem from somewhere. We don't complain for the sake of complaining. However, I suspect many people would rather dismiss these problems than deal with them.
    Paranoia spings to mind but I think its just using the race card whenever the opposition is white.

the supporters of the accusations by woolmer come from reputed guys of both sides, Waqar Younis (ex Pakistan captain) and Mark Richardson who has recently retired from cricket.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information