• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Graham Thorpe

Kimbo

International Debutant
i dunno what you guys know but i gotta sneaking suspicion he is in auckland. i think he is gonna be playing for the aces. :undecided:

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I seriously doubt that he'd snub England in favour to play for the Auckland Aces, but you can never say never.

Where did you get this information from?

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
yea did u see him ?

cause england would go pretty crazy if he said hes taking a break and flew down here , im not sure he might have , but then again who knows...

Gotchya

State Vice-Captain
Come on guyz, give him a break the man's been through a broken marriage,read the excerpts
"Thorpe announced he would be taking an indefinite break from all cricket in a bid to spend more time with his children following the break-up of his marriage."
Dont think he would stage that just tp play in auckland

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Also, why swap England in Summer for NZ in Winter?!

If he has done anyway, his England career's over.

Kimbo

International Debutant
i dunno. i was at te eden pk nets and i swear people were talking about him. they said he had been in the nets and was looking good. they were saying "do you think he will captain the aces?" and people were saying "nah matt horne should."
i know its odd but i am not lying. the new coach at my club i think had been and watched him. :undecided:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
If he did move, he'd be inserious trouble for breach of contract.

Can't see he'd do it yet anyway.

Besides if he's taking a break to spend more time with his kids, why has he flown 12,000 miles AWAY from them?

Kimbo

International Debutant
i don't know. i am just relaying information that i heard at the indoor cricket school at eden pk.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I will ask Tane Topia, he is a coach of mine & plays cricket max for Auckland, he is bound to know if Graham Thorpe is here.

Kimbo

International Debutant
i know tane. have you seen his new hair, he looks so different. it is cool though.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
If he is the professional I believe he is, then IF he is in New Zealand it will be just to clear the cobwebs, get his head straight and the like.

It would be quite reasonable for him to have a few nets if that were the case.

Or am I being naive?

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
The more I think about it, the more I doubt that Thorpe is here. The NZ season doesn't start for another 2 & 1/2 months and I couldn't understand why Thorpe would want to come down so early.

There has been no media release from Auckland cricket either that suggests that Thorpe will play for them in the up coming season.

However Auckland has been known to attract several big name players before, Aravinda De Silva & Graeme Hick have been recent ones.

Kimbo

International Debutant
well it surprised me when i heard people talking. i may have got the wrong end of the stick but i am sure i heard what i heard. i am great at evesdropping.
ps. if nobody is meant to know... it wasn't me!

Kimbo

International Debutant
okay okay i stuffed up. i was evesdropping again tonight... an english player is coming over... grant thorpe. bugger. ah well, this english fella was talking in such a manner that i could not hear properly.
and it didnt make sense cos this guy wont make the aces, he might be lucky to make my club's prem side... hmmm.

made a good story though didnt it. you guys can understand how easy it was to misread the situation... can't you?

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
One player from County cricket that I do know who is going to play his 3rd consecutive season here is Ben Smith, he will most likely captain Central Districts if Oram is not retained.

I think Michael Powell from Warwick's played for Cornwall or Suburbs New Lynn last season aswell.

I heard through the grapevine that former Canterbury player Aftab Habib might be returning, but again this might be doubtful.

MrPerko

School Boy/Girl Captain
Hey guys,

I was down at some of the local nets in Brisbane and I was eavesdropping on some mates and they said that apparentely Sir Donald Bradman is going to play for the Gold Coast Dolphins. I don't know about you guys but I've got a sneaky suspicion that it's true...

Oh, that's right............ he's DEAD!!! Hmmmm.... Sunil's sh*t-stirring was so much more convincing than mine....

(sorry... I don't mean to mock you Kim - it's just a natural reaction to stupid things like this). :P :) :)

Kimbo

International Debutant
sorry.
everyone was really talking about him. its weird cos hes a noone. if you were there you would of thought the same... unless you are a pom that can understand the accent easily :confused: