• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

McGrath takes #1 spot in ODI ratings

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
http://aus.cricinfo.com/link_to_database/ARCHIVE/CRICKET_NEWS/2005/FEB/178250_AUS_08FEB2005.html

After the VB series and his first test performance against Pakistan, McGrath now holds the #1 spot in both the test and ODI rankings. On top of this, in an interview recently he said that he had set his sights too low when he said he would play on until the 2007 World Cup, and now believes he can keep going for some time after that. He says he has "never felt better".

So far since his return from injury last year he has 51 wickets @ 19.04 in 11 tests and 21 wickets @ 19.14 with an amazing economy rate of 3.38 in 15 ODIs.

Not bad for a guy people were writing off a few months back.

amokk1

U19 12th Man
Bravo Mister Glen. You have every right to be number 1. Most deadly bowler I've seen in my life.

shaka

International Regular
He is bowling well, and probably deserves it. Harmison has not had a good tour of South Africa.

twctopcat

International Regular
He always gets his man, and he knows this more than anyone else, which is a major reason he is the best in the world.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
So the most accurate bowler in The World is top of the ODI ratings.
The useless things got it right for once... big deal.

twctopcat

International Regular
Richard said:
So the most accurate bowler in The World is top of the ODI ratings.
The useless things got it right for once... big deal.
Cheery chappy. I think the thread was created purely to highlight the fact that he is "back", which many people thought wouldn't happen during his injury layoff.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
In which case... never underestimate the willpower of a good bowler.
I, for one, never thought it was that unlikely that he'd not be back as the best ODI bowler going round.

Arrow

U19 Vice-Captain
amokk1 said:
Bravo Mister Glen. You have every right to be number 1. Most deadly bowler I've seen in my life.
I wouldnt call mcgrath deadly. So many times it seems batsmen just give their wickets to him with silly shots rather than him taking them.
His nagging line and length bowling is clearly effective though.

Last edited:

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Richard said:
In which case... never underestimate the willpower of a good bowler.
I, for one, never thought it was that unlikely that he'd not be back as the best ODI bowler going round.
I think there was always some doubt, since he had lost some pace and if he broke down again he may well have retired on the spot. Honestly though, having seen just about every ball he's bowled since his retirement I think he's bowling as well as he's ever bowled, if not better. The only time I've seen him outdo his recent bowling was perhaps around the time of the 16 straight test wins, when between the home series against India and the 2001 Ashes he took exactly 100 wickets @ 16.79 in 19 tests.

A truly magnificent bowler, especially in the last 5 years.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
FaaipDeOiad said:
I think there was always some doubt, since he had lost some pace and if he broke down again he may well have retired on the spot.
Darren Gough must have broken-down 3 or 4 times between Dunedin and early 2003.
Yet he kept trying, and eventually he played again - even if he isn't quite the bowler he was pre-injury.
I don't reckon McGrath would have let 2 breakdowns finish him.
And he hasn't actually lost any pace, didn't you see those Nine figures they showed during the SCG Test?
He's never been quick, not since 2001 - and has been fast-medium at best before and after injury.
Like anyone, it doesn't make a difference to a good bowler.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Arrow said:
I would call mcgrath deadly. So many times it seems batsmen just give their wickets to him with silly shots rather than him taking them.
His nagging line and length bowling is clearly effective though.
Silly shots can sometimes be because of good bowling...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
In the one-day game it happens all the time - accuracy = economy and often = wickets.
Even if it doesn't, it doesn't matter of course.