• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Lara a finals flop

Arrow

U19 Vice-Captain
Scallywag said:
So what you would be saying is a batsman who gets a good score in a loosing team is better than a batsman who gets a good score in a winning team when in fact they both just got a good score. .
Just looking at the score is simplistic. You must realize this because this whole post is in reference to FINALS games specifically. If a score was just a score and a game was just a game you wouldnt of bothered.

Scallywag said:
Pressure is a sign of a bad player because a good player will not put himself under pressure and just play his natural game regardless of the situation.
Its human nature to experience pressure.

Scallywag

Banned
Jono said:
Why do people presume that there is only pressure in deciders and finals? So there's no pressure in the first test match? I'll bet out of all matches in the ODI series between Pakistan and India last year, players were most under the pump in the 1st one-dayer. Even more so than the 5th, the decider (although that is debateable).
I suppose because the finals are between the best teams in the series or the best performed teams in the series so the finals will be higher quality games.

But you are right no matter what, the player has to score runs or take wickets whenever they play.

C_C

International Captain
I dont understand your reasoning there. If the team sucks a bit, there is more pressure because there is still a chance for a win? but because windies suck so much it doesnt really matter anymore? lol
Why isnt there a snowballs chance of a win or draw at that stage? Its a test match, there is always pressure, and as captain its amplified.
ofcourse.
Thats valid in almost any sport.
If your team is really crap, you got nothing to lose. And when you got nothing to lose, where is the pressure ?
This is like Brazil versus Nauuru in soccer. What pressure does the Nauuruan team have ?
Or like Canada vs Saudi Arabia in ice hockey...whats the pressure on saudi players ?
Its only pressure when you know that your knock can swing the match either way....in that sense, lara is more 'under pressure' against lesser teams than the likes of OZ or ENG......or atleast thats the story for the past half a decade or so.

Would you be feeling any pressure if you were playing Pete Sampras on centercourt wimbledon ?
Sure it would be a big match for you and you'r gonna be nervous and all that...but whats the pressure if you dont have a snowball's chance in hell to win ?

Arrow

U19 Vice-Captain
C_C said:
ofcourse.
If your team is really crap, you got nothing to lose. And when you got nothing to lose, where is the pressure ?
This is like Brazil versus Nauuru in soccer. What pressure does the Nauuruan team have ?
Or like Canada vs Saudi Arabia in ice hockey...whats the pressure on saudi players ?
Its only pressure when you know that your knock can swing the match either way....in that sense, lara is more 'under pressure' against lesser teams than the likes of OZ or ENG......or atleast thats the story for the past half a decade or so.

Would you be feeling any pressure if you were playing Pete Sampras on centercourt wimbledon ?
Sure it would be a big match for you and you'r gonna be nervous and all that...but whats the pressure if you dont have a snowball's chance in hell to win ?
The problem is that your horribly downplaying west indies status. They have a great tradition and pride, they are not minnows like nauuru, they always play to win and their country always expects success.
Every loss is a knife in the back to a captain, so every game is a pressure situation, and leading a team with such great expectation and history makes it even harder.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
C_C said:
ofcourse.

Are you kidding me? The West Indies are far from 'Nauuru' :dry:

The WI fans desire to see their team on top again like was the case in the 80s. The WI board has been harsh on Lara before, and he feels pressure all the damn time. Did you see him at the press conferences? He always looks under the pump.

Yes the pressure of finals is a lot, but I fail to believe that players like Lara and Tendulkar are under that much more pressure in a VB Series final for example, than in a regular match (especially the pressure Sachin faces when playing in India).

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Arrow said:
He comes in at 1/100 after the bowlers have been demoralized by hayden and gilchrist.
Erm, not always.

Not in great form at the moment in ODI's though: he's averaged 23 so far this VB series, against the not too great attacks of Pakistan and West Indies. Although to be fair to Pakistan, in general their bowling hasn't been too bad lately.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Scallywag said:
just because your team is 1/100 you are still under as much pressure as you would be if they were 1/10
That phrase ruins everything else you say from now on.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I think the guys over in Australia cannot appreciate the sort of pressure that cricket creates in the sub continent and in places like the Caribbean, when it is a tradition as much as anything else. The Windies were used to winning and when they suddenly started to go down the spiral, all the pressure came onto their best player....Lara. Similarly, in the sub continent, there are always a good (although not majority) percentage of fans who are ready to blame their best players for their teams' failures. The pressure on these guys is something you people have to experience by physically being at the grounds in the subcontinent or in the Windies. No one feels the pressure of TV audiences ( I gathered that from a former player), it is the pressure you face from the spectators at the grounds that tells on you and with regard to that, I think Lara and Sachin have faced more pressure than most other players. I think someone like Scallywag should come out to watch some cricket here in India to realize what we are talking about.

Hit4Six

U19 Debutant
honestbharani said:
I think the guys over in Australia cannot appreciate the sort of pressure that cricket creates in the sub continent and in places like the Caribbean, when it is a tradition as much as anything else. The Windies were used to winning and when they suddenly started to go down the spiral, all the pressure came onto their best player....Lara. Similarly, in the sub continent, there are always a good (although not majority) percentage of fans who are ready to blame their best players for their teams' failures. The pressure on these guys is something you people have to experience by physically being at the grounds in the subcontinent or in the Windies. No one feels the pressure of TV audiences ( I gathered that from a former player), it is the pressure you face from the spectators at the grounds that tells on you and with regard to that, I think Lara and Sachin have faced more pressure than most other players. I think someone like Scallywag should come out to watch some cricket here in India to realize what we are talking about.
well said

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Sorry to dig this up, but I was looking through some old threads and felt I needed to make this point.

C_C said:
PS: who are you on ICF ? i know Vic_orthodox used to post there for a while.
What is ICF? I can flat out tell you that I've never posted there. Done.

And OK it is also giving me another reason not to do that QM assignment :p

veeru2810

Banned
Scallywag said:
Not really when you come in you are allways on a duck regardless of the team score.
cricket is a team sport and so if your team score is 10/1 and not 100/1, you feel more pressure. This is what pressure situations are. You know you should not goof up and it plays on your mind.