• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Top_Cat's Prognostications For 2005

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Mr Casson said:
Paving the way for Brad Hogg to be dropped for good, where he will go back to WA and will struggle like he did last time, finally giving Beau Casson free reign to become Western Australia and Australian domestic Cricket's premier wrist-spinner.
yeah beau casson! his older brother is a teammate of mine up here in shanghai.

Craig

World Traveller
I say we should dig this thread up at the end of this year and see who is wrong and who was right.

England take out the Ashes, for which we will never hear the end of it from Neil and co. on how Aussies can't play cricket to save themselves. England won the Test series in South Africa without playing at their best, but that it is not a bad ything, shows that the team has to improve. Must find a better number three as I don't really rate Rob Key or Mark Butcher that highly.

Australia win the Natwest Series and Natwest Challange (what a pointless competition? when it is only going to be Australia and England in the Natwest final?).

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Craig said:
England take out the Ashes, for which we will never hear the end of it from Neil and co. on how Aussies can't play cricket to save themselves.
I can't speak for Neil, but I know that even if England won it 5-0 I wouldn't go on like that (and actually mean it!) - I'd take the proverbial a bit, but would never mean it.

Craig said:
Must find a better number three as I don't really rate Rob Key or Mark Butcher that highly.
Ian Bell anybody?

Craig

World Traveller
And why not? Does he bat there for Warwickshire, as it naturally came to me he is a number 4 or 5 for England (not just because he bats there for England in ODIs), for me the other option is Kevin Pieterson and he certainly has earned it!

Even if Butch plays against the Aussies (which he most likely will), surely he won't be around for too long, maybe 12 months max.?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Butcher isn't actually that old.

One option would be Vaughan at 3, then Bell, Thorpe, Flintoff, but I fear Pietersen's One Day form will elevate him ahead of Bell in Tests.

Craig

World Traveller
Out of interest how old is Butcher? 31?

I take it you prefer Bell as a much better Test player then Pietersen? How is that?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I'm unsure that Pietersen can score the runs he scores in CC in Tests because of his manner of batting.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Nice to go back and read threads like this - some staggeringly good predictions there Corey - and a few in the replies too (Tresco, Strauss, Pietersen etc, and the Thorpe retirement)

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Top_Cat said:
- Shahid Afridi will be the world's leading bowling allrounder within the next two years. He's still only 24 and I think his bowling is improving all the time (ever since he ditched the faster ball anyway).
Poor old Freddie. Never rated before the Ashes.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
May as well review my own efforts.

Australia will remain undefeated in all test series again through the year, including the one-off test against the rest of the world.
Obviously wrong. Right about the Super Series, though. :p

England will lose the Ashes 3-1, but Flintoff amd Harmison will prove themselves by being England's best players, and Strauss will struggle.
Way off on the result, and on Harmison. Strauss did struggle at times, but still made some big scores when he got past Warne. Right about Flintoff.

Irfan Pathan will realise his potential and come out of 2005/6 considered among the top bowlers in the world.
No idea what I was thinking here. Pathan did little of note with the ball all year. He did realise his potential a bit with the bat, though.

Brett Lee will continue his run of form and break his way back into the test side.
On the money with this one.

Shaun Tait will be marked (if he hasn't already) as the next star quick for Australia by the selectors, then will promptly be injured and take time out of the game to do corrective work on his bowling action.
Right about the rating of Tait, so much so that he made a test debut, and right about the injury, but wrong about the bowling action.

Matthew Hayden will regain his test form before the Ashes, while Lehmann will not and will be dropped for good before then.
Definately right about Lehmann, and wrong about Hayden. He regained his form during the Ashes, though.

Either one of India or Pakistan to win the ODI series between the sides and the other one to win the tests, having no effect whatsoever on those who believe that their home country is absolutely and unquestionably superior to the other. Watch for the umpires or the weather to be blamed in the case of a loss, and superior talent the culprit in the case of a win.
The test series was a draw, and the ODI series went to Pakistan. Interestingly though, the NEXT series between the teams at the start of 2006 went to Pakistan, and India won the ODIs. Definately right about the trolls, the umpires, the weather and the talent, but then anyone could have picked that.

And finally, Shane Warne to announce his return to one day international cricket some time before the 2006 VB series, opening the door for a World Cup career finale.
I'm pretty sure I actually meant the 2006/07 VB Series with this one, but if I didn't it was obviously wrong.

Not a great set of picks, aside from the Lee one.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Wow !! Some great predicitons here. Toppy must have made loads of money in 2005. ;)

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Poor old Freddie. Never rated before the Ashes.
Honestly, I thought he'd be injured. Mind you even if he wasn't, I had the feeling his bowling would dominate over his batting if he did well which was sort-of right but not exactly. His batting surprised me greatly.

Right about the rating of Tait, so much so that he made a test debut, and right about the injury, but wrong about the bowling action.
No, his fielding action did it. He dived for a ball and ripped a few shoulder muscles. Saved his action from doing it for him. :D

Craig

World Traveller
FaaipDeOiad said:
Definately right about Lehmann, and wrong about Hayden. He regained his form during the Ashes, though.
Rather from the 5th Test onwards when he finally made a ton and the form he showed from then on? Unless you take into account that by regaining form by the number of starts he made?

Craig

World Traveller
luckyeddie said:
Nice to go back and read threads like this - some staggeringly good predictions there Corey - and a few in the replies too (Tresco, Strauss, Pietersen etc, and the Thorpe retirement)
*cough*Ashes predication*cough*

Although Thorpe was coming from a mile away.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Craig said:
*cough*Ashes predication*cough*

Although Thorpe was coming from a mile away.
Anyone's better than me. I predicted 3-1 to Australia, England to win in Pakistan, India to beat England 2-0 etc etc.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Top_Cat said:
- Shahid Afridi will be the world's leading bowling allrounder within the next two years. He's still only 24 and I think his bowling is improving all the time (ever since he ditched the faster ball anyway).
Hope you didn't mean in Tests? :p

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Top_Cat said:
Well since I know you all care so much about what I've got to say, I'll give you a treat and offer my predictions in cricket for 2005 year beyond. Most of these will be Australian-centric but hey, I'm Aussie after all.

- Brett Lee will be in the top-5 TEST fast bowlers within the next 2 years (if he gets picked). The man isn't just bowling quick anymore.

- Ashley Giles and Marcus Trescothick will win back the Ashes for England. Oye, that's gonna hurt.

- Shane Warne WILL play in the 2007 World Cup. He probably feels he has some unfinished business to attend to.

- Dan Cullen will be fast-tracked into the Australian side within the next two years.

- Glenn McGrath will play Tests until he's 40 but will retire from ODI's within the next year.

- The issue of individual player sponsorship will eventually split the cricket world in all countries. The WI's is just a test case. Mark my words.

I have more but they're a bit far-fetched. :) Just remember you heard it all here first!

Thoughts?
Well all other than Warne playing in the 2007 has happened or probably will happen in my opinion.

Looking foward for 2006, got to hurry up though the year is almost half-way gone.