• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Afridi takes over most sixes record

C_C

International Captain
a) flat wickets
b) small grounds
c) more ODIs!
flat wickets ?
thats a common misconception about the subcontinent.
Massive scores are being scored everywhere and have been since time immemorial. So flat wickets doesnt hold water.
Small grounds ? Mate, most grounds in the subcontinent are bigger than NZ or ENG or WI. Eden and Wankhede are just about the biggest grounds out there or amongst the top
And while more ODIs is a credible point, we should also look at the ratio of sixes/match to get a more accurate picture.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Jono said:
Was that really necessary?
raise your hand if you cant take a joke....

i think afridi is awesome, one of my favourite cricketers at the moment, along with many others from that list, so why would it be a serious comment?.... hence the ;)....... subtle, i know....

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
benchmark00 said:
raise your hand if you cant take a joke....

i think afridi is awesome, one of my favourite cricketers at the moment, along with many others from that list, so why would it be a serious comment?.... hence the ;)....... subtle, i know....
*raises hand*

Nah fair enough. Apologies.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Sehwag309 said:
7 Sub-con outta 10
Considering the volume of meaningless games those nations play on the traditionally batsman friendly wickets - is it really much of a surprise?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
C_C said:
flat wickets ?
thats a common misconception about the subcontinent.
Massive scores are being scored everywhere and have been since time immemorial. So flat wickets doesnt hold water.
Rubbish.

How many times has 300 been hit in an ODI in England or NZ?

Gangster

U19 12th Man
marc71178 said:
Rubbish.

Because neither team has quality batsmen obviously. The only one I see is Kevin Pietersen, and he's a South African. Strauss too, oh wait he's South African. Cairns is okay too I guess.

C_C

International Captain
Rubbish.

By the opposition ?
Not that infrequently as you would lead us to believe.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Oval: 6 in 86 inns (inc E-SL 75 and NZ-USA 04 - only one genuine game in the 50 era)
Lord's: 4 in 82 (inc E-I 75 (Gavaskar's Game))
Old Trafford: 0 in 68
Headingley: 0 in 56
Trent Bridge: 3 in 60 (inc P-SL 75, none in the 50 era)
Edgbaston: 2 in 76 (inc NZ-EAf 75, none in the 50 era)

So, in total, on the six major ODI grounds, we have 15 totals of 300+ in 428 tries, of which four were bludgeonings of non-Test nations and seven further were before the time of fifty overs a side.

That leaves four genuine scores of over 300, which I'd grant as five seeing as England made 363/7 in 55 against Pakistan in 1992. So about one percent. Loads...

Duncan

U19 Debutant
What's your point... ok, there isn't many 300 scores there but if you are trying to suggest they are all being scored in the subcontinent then you are wrong. Even in this VB series so far Pakistan has made 307 and West Indies made a huge 339.

Besides... the topic is about sixes... not scores of 300+

Last edited:

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Sehwag309 started it when he mentioned how seven of the top 10 were subcontinentals and so they're the best six hitters, I suggested it was a spurious conclusion, CC told us all how every team coming to England and New Zealand made 300 in all their ODIs, then we were bombed for hiding WMDs.

I may have got carried away someplace there.

b.lara

Cricket Spectator
brian lara the best test player

brian laras 400 not out in test cricket is a mark in history with that strike rate :)

Sehwag309

Banned
I merely suggested that sub-con had the culture of going for bit hits...they either like to do it, can do it or merely like to please the crazy-public there which is constantly on their back

But others came with flat pitches, what not! everyone has their own theory

Ab the HACKS?..I guess u didnt get it when I said OUTBACK?..Aussie Outback

RealPk

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
In my opinion Afridi has changed his batting style a little bit:

Look at his runs he has scored in the VB Series....:

against Australia 56 runs of 27 balls (4 fours, four sixes)
against West Indies 48 runs of 37 balls (3 fours, 3 sixes)
against West Indies 17 runs of 16 balls (0 fours, 1 six)
against Australia 30 runs of 13 balls (3 fours, 2 sixes)
against West Indies 23 runs of 10 balls (1 four, 2 sixes)
--------
Finals
against Australia 26 runs of 15 balls (0 fours, 3 sixes)

Total : 200 runs
Average: 33 runs in an innings (6x)

And then you have to look at his strike rate.....

Strike rate : 194

So i think Afridi has done very very well in this VB Series......His strike rate is outstanding and the runs he has scored are respectable.

So dont cry on Afridi...he is improving himself, thanks to BOB Woolmer...

RealPk

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Dydl said:
He MUST have hit a six in every innings of his in this VB Series! Is that right??? Has he hit a six every innings in this VB Series??!!!

Quite an interesting question actually.

Can you read???

Look at his runs he has scored in the VB Series....:

against Australia 56 runs of 27 balls (4 fours, 4 sixes)
against West Indies 48 runs of 37 balls (3 fours, 3 sixes)
against West Indies 17 runs of 16 balls (0 fours, 1 six)
against Australia 30 runs of 13 balls (3 fours, 2 sixes)
against West Indies 23 runs of 10 balls (1 four, 2 sixes)
--------
Finals
against Australia 26 runs of 15 balls (0 fours, 3 sixes)

=> 15 sixes in 6 innings and he has at least hit 1 six in an innings.
Very interesting to see, how much fours he has scored... 11 fours in 6 innings.
...interesting...