• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What is all the hype about Ryder?

Blakey

State Vice-Captain
I hear so much hype about this kid then when I check his scores he is getting not many - if any.

Other than that, the only resemblance he has with Inzi is the potato analogie.

What's his attitude like?

bryce

International Regular
he had a good debut season as an opening batsman but now he is been ****ed around with in the middle order, expect him to be amongst the runs in the near future, oh and just because he has the same body shape as inzy it doesn't stop him from being a spectacular fielder at point

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
He is nowhere near the size of Inzi.

I firmly believe he is an opener in both forms of the game & that he should be allowed to play his natural game which is to go after everything.
I've been disappointed this season that Wellington have played him in their middle order, but I guess they have their reasons.

He's basically had to start again after falling off track last year & im pretty sure the fact that he blew a chance to go to Pakistan with NZ last year hit him hard.

Blakey

State Vice-Captain
so what makes him better than say Macca, who's natural inclination it could be argued is also to go after the ball at any chance?

What did he do which lost him a chance to tour to Pakistan?

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
Attitude = ****.

NZ cricket put so much money and stuff into his game and what did he do in return? Drunk and got in fights before big games. He has to sharpen up if he wants to be a professional cricketer. Until he does he won't go no where

Black Thunder

School Boy/Girl Captain
Never heard of him, but an average of 38 in NZ FC cricket is not too bad at all, especially when you consider he is only 20.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Well he was described as a 'prodigy' a few years ago...Particularly when he scored a quick-fire 200 against an Australian Commenwealth Bank side & also smashed a couple of unbelievable hundreds in the inter-club finals.

He then went and played a good innings for the Nth Island team a few years back in the 1st State of Origin match & also averaged 40 for C.D in FC cricket that year aswell.

But his attitude & drinking problems took over and you could say he's struggled a bit this season for his new team Wellington.

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
but you have to look at his first year and then the last year.. this year he would have struggled to get over 20. His debut season he was scoring 50's continuiosly

Blaze

Banned
Tim said:
Well he was described as a 'prodigy' a few years ago...Particularly when he scored a quick-fire 200 against an Australian Commenwealth Bank side & also smashed a couple of unbelievable hundreds in the inter-club finals.

He then went and played a good innings for the Nth Island team a few years back in the 1st State of Origin match & also averaged 40 for C.D in FC cricket that year aswell.

But his attitude & drinking problems took over and you could say he's struggled a bit this season for his new team Wellington.
His attitude and drinking problems are over hyped.

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
Do youy know the guy to know that? I have heard the stories from his team mates and coaches

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
I think they are both connected. You don't get dropped from a state team when you been scoring that amount of runs for no reason

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Heh. Tamara, Matt and bryce. 1000+ posts. All gone. Blakey. Less than 200 posts. Still around.

Ain't CW a funny thing. :mellow:

Either way, class discovery\dig BTW.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Ryder ponders giving-up alcohol.

That article paints a somewhat worrying picture TBH, if things are as bad as it suggests they're a little worse than I'd imagined. I'd always thought he was a bit of a silly lad who enjoyed a good night out rather too much, but by the looks of things his problems are rather worse than that.

Something of a sorry picture:

Let's hope that maybe this might be the sort of short sharp shock that sometimes jolts people like Ryder to their senses.