Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Overrated Bowlers

International Debutant SpaceMonkey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Son Of Coco
    He has bowled badly against a better team than the two mentioned though, whatever the excuse. Why isn't he bowling as well?
    Dunno take your pick. Out of form? Lacking confidence? Homesick?
    They'll all been mentioned. Maybe it was just a fluke that he put the ball in the right place for those 18 months. Who knows. But i wont give up on him till ive seen him bowl like he did in 2004 and then not get wickets

Hall of Fame Member chaminda_00's Avatar
    Until harmison proves himself aganist a quality team then he will always be overated.
    The man, the mountain, the Mathews. The greatest all rounder since Keith Miller. (Y)

Jaffna Jets CC (Battrick & FTP)

RIP WCC and CW Cricket

Member of the MSC, JMAS and CVAAS

Quote Originally Posted by Choora
    There is alot of action when Akhtar plays cricket, even a blind man can notice that.
    No, I'm sorry. A Blind can't notice that. I present you the truth, not sarcasm.

Also, I think more action happens not on screen, but off screen. Aktar needs to be dropped and send back to Grade cricket where he can spend his entire life trying to break all speed records. He is just like Brett Lee, highly over rated.
    Fred Tetanus likes this.
    -The story in a nutshell is three college dorm students who seek ultimate highs by purchasing and using a bong that is possessed by an evil spirit.

Shoaib is definently unfit and not a team player but overated i don't think so. His record is second to now, well maybe Mcgarth, Warne and Murali are better.

Harmison and Flintoff have been hyped up heavily, but I still believe the both of them are talented. The Ashes series will be the major factor as to whether they are overrated or world class, or somewhere in between.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    I don't really consider Brett Lee to be overrated, for the simple reason that most cricket fans don't rate him at all. He's really not anywhere near as bad as people make out, he just looks terrible when he has an off day. When he's bowling at his best he is very good.

In terms of bowlers who are actually overrated... well Harmison springs to mind, even though I do think he is a talent, calling him the best pace bowler in the world was a bit over the top.

Another one might be Murali... not because he isn't a world class bowler, but because some people seem to lift him to demi-god status and believe that he can't be outplayed, when his averages of 116 in Australia and 48 in India suggest otherwise.

Irfan Pathan was supposed to be the next Wasim Akram. Very Hyped.
    Fred Tetanus likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by FaaipDeOiad
    Another one might be Murali... not because he isn't a world class bowler, but because some people seem to lift him to demi-god status and believe that he can't be outplayed, when his averages of 116 in Australia and 48 in India suggest otherwise.
    Murali has played once in Australia, ten years ago . Have a look at his ODI record in Australia and his overall Test Record against Australia, it is better then most bowlers. Most spin bowlers struggle aganist India, even Warnie, cus they are the best players of spin in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by chaminda_00
    Murali has played once in Australia, ten years ago .
    That's partly his fault tho, isn't it? It doesn't say wonders for his qualities as a team player when he would rather sit at home crying to his mum than face up with his mates to (arguably) the best team ever.

Now I know he's had a lotta cr@p thrown his way from certain quarters in Oz, a lot of it pretty shameful stuff, but he went down in my estimation when he chose not to tour. Hardly the way to ram his critics words down their throats, is it?

Now, in answer to the question, I'd say either Phil Tufnell (took more wickets with bad balls than any other bowler apart from perhaps Beefy, his reputation seems to rest on two performances & overall average of 37+) or John Emburey (yeah, yeah, classical-offie & all that, but career average in high 30s & the only player to go on both rebel tours to apartheid SA).
    Cricket Web's current Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"Ben Stokes, that most unlikely saint, worked the second of the two miracles he needs for his canonisation." - The Guardian's Andy Bell on the England all-rounder's Headingley ton

Banned
    That overrated Lee is bowling rubbish again and in a final too.
    Fred Tetanus likes this.

Akhtar? Peoples opinions on him seem to vary. From what I hear, he thinks hes one of the greatest fast bowlers of all time, so he certainly overrates himself.
    Other people who think he's rubbish are wrong though, as he can be a very good bowler. If he stopped being such a showpony and talking himself up the whole time and actually concetrated on improving his bowling (e.g. listen to coaches who tell him to shorten the run-up) he could become a far more consistent world class performer

School Boy/Girl Captain
    Couldnt it be a psychological thing though?

Its all well for us to sit on our a$$es here saying that he must shorten his run up. But it could be that he 'feels' fast only with the lengthy run up. Things are not always black and white. He could still be as fast from a shorter run up, but if he doesnt like it, why force him? Hes the bowler.Maybe he needs the lengthy run up to psyche himself up.
    Fred Tetanus likes this.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Zinzan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chaminda_00
    With people putting Brett Lee down so much i think he is no longer in the overated class, but the underated class.
    I agree....

Just watching the first 10 overs of the ****'s innings now and

To his critics despair, Lee is bowling magnificently so far.....

No doubt they will still find something to criticise him about.

His first over LBW was exactly the same ball he got Fleming with in the first NZ onedayer. Fullpitched and fast with late swing. Very difficult for a lefthanded early on.

How people describe him as a rubbish bowler is beyond me....

School Boy/Girl Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by zinzan12
    I agree....

Just watching the first 10 overs of the ****'s innings now and

To his critics despair, Lee is bowling magnificently so far.....

No doubt they will still find something to criticise him about.

His first over LBW was exactly the same ball he got Fleming with in the first NZ onedayer. Fullpitched and fast with late swing. Very difficult for a lefthanded early on.

How people describe him as a rubbish bowler is beyond me....
    I guess it has to do with his test record.
    Fred Tetanus likes this.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by sir middle stump
    I guess it has to do with his test record.
    His test record is much better than Flintoff but flintoff is regarded as the better bowler and Lee is considered overrated.
    Fred Tetanus likes this.

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread Information